The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favourite TG1 Settings
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Favourite TG1 Settings

Hello!

I just got my new TG1 - wooow

I wanted to know: what are your favourite settings? Any suggestion?

Thanks
Bernhard
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks freaking sweet, congratulations

Chandler Limited | Products: TG1 Compressor -

I want, I WANT!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I usually don't chime in on these threads because I don't have "favorite" ways to set equipment. I try to do it the appropriate way.

But I definitely have favorite settings for the TG-1!

For DI'd bass guitar, recovery at 1 on limit mode, input set for 3-5dB of gain reduction, output attenuated until I can keep the channel fader on the console at unity. Hair, and solidity.

For male vocals that need more spit, comp mode with recovery at 2, input to barely tickle the needle. If the other channel isn't in use for DI'd bass guitar, I'll take the first channel into the second and limit with a setting similar to the above bass setting.

Actually, our TG-1 came out of the floating rack a few months ago and moved into the rack closest to the console...and it gets used all of the time but rarely touched!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm the same as Sean. Don't like these threads....... BUT, I have one fave on the TG1, that is used constantly.

Limit Mode, Recovery at 1, Input and Output to taste, depending on the need to crush or breathe.

The comp mode is good, but for me, the limiter is THE mojo of this box, no doubt. The quicker the recovery, the better too IMO.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Deleted bd1be4f
Yep, I almost never use comp mode, Limit mode all the way, recovery usually set to 1 (occasionally 2 or 3 on AC GTR or piano). Tweak the input till it sounds nicey nicey...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 ➑️
Yep, I almost never use comp mode, Limit mode all the way, recovery usually set to 1 (occasionally 2 or 3 on AC GTR or piano). Tweak the input till it sounds nicey nicey...
You would use this thing on Acoustic GTRs? WOOOW! I thought this was a golden one trick pony!

I KIND of understand the Piano because the color of the TG1, that rock and roll Chandler sound complements the harmonics of the piano, but coustic GTRs, wow......
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
You would use this thing on Acoustic GTRs? WOOOW! I thought this was a golden one trick pony!

I KIND of understand the Piano because the color of the TG1, that rock and roll Chandler sound complements the harmonics of the piano, but coustic GTRs, wow......
One trick pony? No way. Not only do I use it on acoustic guitar, but it's one of my favorite all time compressors or limiters to use on acoustics.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
smash it up

for drum room mics i use parallel compression and slam them to the wall...

[email protected], output wherever, limit, [email protected]

wowwy.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️

I use it on everything including acoustic guitar. It's a lot of color and when it's too much you know it, but most of the time it's an amazing vibe maker. The one piece of gear I would never be without.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So pretty much everyone is using it in limit with recovery at 1.
Which IS certainly cool.
I think that's the 'instant gratification' setting on the TG to be honest.

When I get a chance to use it (not incredibly often anymore) I like to try it on vocals in the compressor setting at either 1-2-3 or 4. usually 2 or 3 I guess.

It just instantly smooths everything it's touching.
I don't even know what it's doing, but to my ear... on the compress setting everything takes on this Pink Floyd-esque smoothness.

Have never tried it on acoustics though... now I'll have to.
I do dig it in limit mode too of course.
I've been using it for a few years now... not sure how long it's been out?
I don't think I used it in any mode other than limit @ 1 for the first 2-3yrs.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The comp mode does work well on vocals, definitely. I just don't like that boxy knee curve on much else.

The beauty of the limit mode is its dependency on input gain. That changes the whole beast dramatically, and makes it much more than a 1 trick steed.

I wish I had a console with this limiter on every channel. Heh.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This seems like a good group of people who have actually used the TG1 so I'll ask here:

Would you think the TG1 would be a good fit on the 2 buss of a hip hop mix?

It's not my intention to hi-jack the thread...but I've got the best chance of getting results from people have experience with the unit here!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire8898 ➑️
This seems like a good group of people who have actually used the TG1 so I'll ask here:

It's not my intention to hi-jack the thread...but I've got the best chance of getting results from people have experience with the unit here!
Nope
Deleted bd1be4f
Yeah, I'm not so sure about the TG1 as a master buss comp. Unless you really want to alter the color and vibe of the whole mix.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That tends to be the concensus...too colored for a mix bus! thanks for your help guys!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire8898 ➑️

I've used it on a mix a few times with great results, but most of the time it doesn't work for this at all. Just too much.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
you can use it on a mix, just don't let the needle move...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In this mix interview Justin Niebank talks about using the TG1 on the mixbus.

He seems to like it (sometimes , if I understand him correctly) on the 2bus , comp mode fast release.

I remember this because his sound isn`t really what I associate with the TG1. Reading about these boxes really don`t do them justice I guess.

Thomas
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho ➑️
In this mix interview Justin Niebank talks about using the TG1 on the mixbus.

He seems to like it (sometimes , if I understand him correctly) on the 2bus , comp mode fast release.

I remember this because his sound isn`t really what I associate with the TG1. Reading about these boxes really don`t do them justice I guess.

Thomas
In general I think talking about how gear sounds is a lot like singing about football. You really have to experience it first hand to glean anything truly useful.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bad example! Singing about football has been widely accepted since 1989.

Ask Hank Williams Jr.
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon ➑️
Bad example! Singing about football has been widely accepted since 1989.

Ask Hank Williams Jr.
Accepted? Debatable. Helping someone who doesn't understand football to understand it? I rest my case. heh
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Vocals limit, recovery 2-3
acoustic GT limit recovery 2-3
Drum buss limit recovery 1-2-3
snare comp rec 1-2
Piano limit 1-4
Bass (don't like it too much) limit recovery up to 5

I have the fast recovery mod on the compressor setting

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G compressor, the only one that ADDS air to things instead of removing it
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'll have to try that fast recovery mod. That's my biggest reason for not using the compressor mode a lot.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just email wade, he'll send you the parts

If I recall right, it's just one condenser
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a Abbey Road addition which I just replaced the meter light with the blue LED's like that of which are in the Zener. It looks amazing! I can post pics if anyone wants them. Some of my favorite application are drum buss, 2-buss, Bass and acoustic guitar. But my favorite thing to do...is bus three snares to it. I usually record a 57, 451 and the bottom snare mic of course. I will mix them to taste, using individual eq's and some very very slight compression if any at all then send them all to the TG1 - recovery at 1 in comp mode, set the input to taste...somewhere around 2-4db of compression then bring my level back to pro tools with the output. The other really cool thing about the TG1 is the Total Harmonic Distortion mode (THD). Strapping that across your drum buss and just slamming the input brings a very tight, tape like sound. After all...in that mode...you can actually hit it harder than tape I've heard. Try it...it'll blow your mind. Sometimes using the TG1 across the drums can be dangerous in my opinion because it REAAAALLLLLY loves to grab cymbals and bring out the room, which depending on the song could be really really cool or really really not...if done right, it's perfect though with recovery at 2...maybe 1, comp mode...between 3 and 6db of compression/input and then setting the output. It's an amazing compressor...I couldnt live without it or my STC-8. I'm a huge fan of versatile gear, especially when working in the box, and this piece is a must have for EVERY application. I want another one!!!
Lives for gear

I too usually use it on parallel drums or room mics, Limit, Recovery 1. Sometimes when it gets too hairy (like when the drummer played his cymbals too hard), I switch to 2 or 3, which can kinda help tame the cymbals. You lose some of the smacky goodness, but it's a compromise that works for me in a pinch most times.

I also love it on piano, particularly half-assed sampled pianos. A little TG1 adds a lot of mojo there. Limit mode, Recovery 1 or 2.

Anyone use it the TG1 in THD mode? Mine's practically glued in Limit...
Old 29th May 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Resurrecting an old thread. Just got my hands on the TG1 today and it really is sick. I loved it on drums and vox especially. Tried it in Comp mode on a 2mix. Dug the glue/vibe, but it didn't like the synthbass/subbass I had going on in the track. Anyone have a workaround for this? Low freq rolloff/ sidechain eq? I think I definitely need this one but wondered if anyone can offer any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 14th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I definitely agree with the fact that there are usually never any real "golden settings" with recording equipment, but can someone give some basic input/hold and output settings they generally use or start at for compressing vocals to pro tools?

I just need an idea of how you guys make sense of each when using this box with vocals. (I will be using it tomorrow with rock vocals)

thanks all!
πŸ“ Reply