Quantcast
Adam A7 Monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam A7 Monitors
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Adam A7 Monitors

Any one mixed or tracked on these? Interested in getting a pair for my home rig and I am curious to opinions on them. I have been working on the s3a's and love em. Any feedback is appreciated thanks!!

EDIT: I just found a post on here about these, but feel free to add any more feedback
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFTTTTT ➑️
Any one mixed or tracked on these? Interested in getting a pair for my home rig and I am curious to opinions on them. I have been working on the s3a's and love em. Any feedback is appreciated thanks!!

EDIT: I just found a post on here about these, but feel free to add any more feedback

kid65
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sold my ns10's, put it that way.....these translate VERY well, provided your acoustics are decent, are incredibly open, focused lows, wonderfully present mids, ports on front so you're not guessing what your bass is really doing behind your speakers, volume and power are right on front with a cool lookin blue light. I use mine with a Tannoy TS-10 and they are a perfect combo. If I ever upgraded, it'll be to better Adam monitors.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There is tons of information on these, try a search. I have them and love them.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
They ain't the S3a but I think they are a bargain, love mines too!
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The A7 deliver "front to back" info unlike any speaker in their price range. It is kind of a signature sound from ADAM on all models, but the A7 delivers a surprisingly useful sound for the price.

War
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I love ADAM monitors. But strangely, I've been finding myself preferring the A7s to the P11As I have, something I feel sort of moronic for saying. They're both really great monitors, but so far, I've been enjoying how the A7s reproduce the bottom end more than the P11As. Seems able to handle the low-end transients better than the P11As to my ear.
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've been mixing on these for about 3 years now, and they're incredibly detailed, open and focused for the price. I love them to pieces and find it so much easier to mix on these than some monitors twice the price.

That said, they're a little flattering - something like KRKs shout about how crap your mix is until it's great, and then you know it's great. A7s won't be quite as honest.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD ➑️
I've been mixing on these for about 3 years now, and they're incredibly detailed, open and focused for the price. I love them to pieces and find it so much easier to mix on these than some monitors twice the price.

That said, they're a little flattering - something like KRKs shout about how crap your mix is until it's great, and then you know it's great. A7s won't be quite as honest.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with this statement. Before going with the A7s, I tried KRK VXT6s and Dynaudio BM5s. These two monitors sound very nice... too nice. I went with the A7s because of their "veil-off" honesty.

That being said, I love my A7s. But hey, monitors are a too personable to be all things to all people.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A7s are killer. In fact, the only model in the Adam line I like substantially more is the S3A model.

For small rooms the A7 is a great deal. Highly recommend it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I know monitors are a very subjective thing, but I don't agree that ADAM monitors, including A7s, "sweeten" like KRKs either. I can't mix on KRKs although I love hearing them. A7s seem to be fairly honest to me, and that's what I need from a monitor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I went from s3a to A7+sub12 and I prefer the new setup.

They are absolutely great mixing monitors.

Quote:
Exact opposite opinion here. I find the A7's to be very revealing and sometimes unpleasant to listen to until you have your mixing is rocking proper. KRK's in my experience tend to sound great until your mix is right, then they sound awful
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
That's really something. I *love* S3As.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am a very happy A7 user, I don't use a sub and am quite content, eventually when I move to a bigger room I might add stereo subwoofers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenShadows ➑️
That's really something. I *love* S3As.
I find the a7's to be more accurate in the mid/low with a good sub taking the work off them.

The s3a's were better speakers when compared to just the A7's, but for the price I paid compared to my current a7 setup.. I'm much happier with the a7's. With the addition of the sub12 or perhaps sub10 I think the A7's are easier to mix on and just as revealing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i just upgraded from the dynaudio bm5as to the adam a7s.. and while the dyns were hyped and flattering.. the adams are honest and influence my mix decisions for the better. theres alot of tone control to suit most rooms too.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Anyone tried the P33As?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First I got A7:s (better than anything in their size/price class IMHO) for video edit station, then got S3A:s for main monitors. While S3A:s are great, A7:s are just as good, if not even better, just not as loud and not loud enough as main monitors.

I was running both with Genelec 7071A sub. They both need a decent subwoofer. My comments about the sound quality applies to subbed speakers, otherwise S3A wins with better bass extension, mid-hi range is sweet on both.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Not so sure about A7's...

Recently I had the change to testdrive a pair of A7's. I'm already familiar with the S4C (passive with Bryston 3B amp) and S5A's. Both have the astonishing clarity and imaging associated with Adam monitors, but both are also not as heavy in the bass-end as you'd expect. It seems as if the woofers are tuned a dB and a half lower as the mid and high-frequency drivers. In other words: there is plenty of well articulated bass, but it lacks punch. It reminds me a bit of the low end found in some B&W speakers.

On to the A7. It also had the openness and detail of the more expensive models, and *it feels as if* there is more bass compared to the A4 AND A5! To me the low end sounds somewhat hyped and compressed. It seems as if the cabinet is carefully tuned, but not careful enough. There is some sub-bass to be found, but not a whole lot and you need space and correct placement for that to be useful. A sub would be a good addition. Overall, the low end is not as defined and open as the mid- and high frequencies. In addition I feel the built-in amps are not capable enough to drive these speakers. I feel they lack some resolution that can be found in the more expensive models and in e.g. the Dynaudio BM6a's. I suspect Adam have used Chip-amps to cut on production costs. I would prefer solid discrete class A/AB amps.

I've been working on Avalon mixing monitors for a long time, and the A7's come close (which is quite a feat for a €750,-- a pair set of monitors that small, compared to €3500,-- per speaker without an amp!), but just not close enough for me to concider them as a serious monitor for mixing duties. Nevertheless, for the tiny amount of money you pay for the soundquality you get, it's a real bargain.

I have become quite curious about the S2, since that seems to be an "upgraded" A7 in every respect. Has anyone compared the two?

Regards,

James.

Last edited by jamesblond; 11th February 2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: typo's
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

same experience here! thumbsup

the A7 are flattering compared to KRK V8, which can sound nasty tubby, at least in my room.

i dont find the lower mids of the A7 very honest.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I like my A7's a lot. I can hear what some people say about the lack of low end on these, but it hasn't been an issue for me. After breaking these in for a short while I was able to fix a couple of old wonky mixes very quickly.
FWIW.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It sucks that the price on these went up recently... is there anywhere to get them cheaper than $575 a piece?
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken ➑️
It sucks that the price on these went up recently... is there anywhere to get them cheaper than $575 a piece?
Bump... any retailers still got some left for the old price of $1000/pair?
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond ➑️
Recently I had the change to testdrive a pair of A7's. I'm already familiar with the S4C (passive with Bryston 3B amp) and S5A's. Both have the astonishing clarity and imaging associated with Adam monitors, but both are also not as heavy in the bass-end as you'd expect. It seems as if the woofers are tuned a dB and a half lower as the mid and high-frequency drivers. In other words: there is plenty of well articulated bass, but it lacks punch. It reminds me a bit of the low end found in some B&W speakers.

On to the A7. It also had the openness and detail of the more expensive models, and *it feels as if* there is more bass compared to the A4 AND A5! To me the low end sounds somewhat hyped and compressed. It seems as if the cabinet is carefully tuned, but not careful enough. There is some sub-bass to be found, but not a whole lot and you need space and correct placement for that to be useful. A sub would be a good addition. Overall, the low end is not as defined and open as the mid- and high frequencies. In addition I feel the built-in amps are not capable enough to drive these speakers. I feel they lack some resolution that can be found in the more expensive models and in e.g. the Dynaudio BM6a's. I suspect Adam have used Chip-amps to cut on production costs. I would prefer solid discrete class A/AB amps.

I've been working on Avalon mixing monitors for a long time, and the A7's come close (which is quite a feat for a €750,-- a pair set of monitors that small, compared to €3500,-- per speaker without an amp!), but just not close enough for me to concider them as a serious monitor for mixing duties. Nevertheless, for the tiny amount of money you pay for the soundquality you get, it's a real bargain.

I have become quite curious about the S2, since that seems to be an "upgraded" A7 in every respect. Has anyone compared the two?

Regards,

James.

I use the S2 + a sub 12 and its an heaven for a mixing engineer.
the weird thing is from all the ADAM monitors the one i put in the end of the list is the A7 heh.
i mean not that i did'nt like it , compared to their price its great but i have a problem with the mid range resolution and also bass is a problem with every model by ADAM (therefor i bought the sub 12 and its amazing now).

Again if u compare it to any other monitor in that price range its great but i think the REAL sound of ADAM starts from the S2a
Old 21st March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Stores selling Adam a7 in Hamburg?

I will be in Hamburg for a couple of days next week and I was planning to buy a pair of Adam a7, so I was wondering if any locals could point me into the right place...
Cheers
Mat
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The A7s are usually at 395€ here in Germany, which is 535$ a piece. Dunno if it's really worth buying them in Hamburg. Can't name any shops there, i'm sorry. But if you've got an adress there, try Thomann Cyberstore and get them sent to you. Usually the cheapest of the big ones in germany.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use a pair of ADAM A7's with an ADAM Sub 10 subwoofer.

They are superbly natural sounding ! Compared to many other competing brands with much higher price tags.

Buying the ADAM system for my project studio was one of the wisest things I did. I'm extremely happy with their sound. I highly recommend them.

Cheers.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio ➑️
I am a very happy A7 user, I don't use a sub and am quite content, eventually when I move to a bigger room I might add stereo subwoofers.
How many people use stereo subwoofers? I'm curious because at low frequecies the conventional wisdom is that perception of directionality and stereo image is gone.

BTW I have the A7s and love the midrange clarity and stereo imaging which is in a different league than my KRK backups.

Regards,

John
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond ➑️
The A7's are a very good value for the money, but corners are cut in manufacturing (e.g. amps) and they don't have the wow factor of the more expensive ADAMs. The S2A's are the real deal. One thing to keep in mind is that the differences in sound between different models in the S-series are not insignificant. For example, I actually prefer the S2 to the S2.5, but there are people with the opposite opinion. I also quite like the oft-overlooked S1A's -- for just listening at low levels those little speakers are amazingly detailed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just got my A7s last night and I have been listening to a bunch of songs I mixed with my 10 year old 824s and the detail with piano, acoustic Gtr, etc, is night and day. The 824s are mud. So far I like the low end in the A7s and I was a bit worried because alot of people say they lack low end. They arent low end heavy which I kind of like.
πŸ“ Reply