Quantcast
Fender Twin Reverb - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 30th January 2009
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Fender Twin Reverb

what are the best three years or production series, and what should I pay? thanks mates!
Old 30th January 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
the first ones.

why not get a tweed? more tone, more control, more variations.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
gorillainthemix's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Make sure they have the AA763 or AB763 circuit and you should be fine. Black- or Silverface, doesn't really matter as long as it has the AB763 tag. I think that would be from 1964-1970/71, not sure but the early Silverface models had the Blackface circuit.

As far as price...if you're lucky you might find one for $1000 but it would probably need a lot of work. A mint condition original Twin Reverb can go up to as high as $2500, maybe higher.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
even if you should run across a silver-faced twin (non-master volume version), it can be "returned" to black-face specs pretty easily and inexpensively. if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can do it yourself!

need more info on that, you can PM me...

regards,
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Nice Set of Twins

I am a certifiable Twin Reverb Freak! I currently own 4 of them. But I have owned dozens over the years. If you are going for colllectabiity, then an original Tweed, or Blackface is the way to go. If your going for the ultimate Gigging Amp, Then a Silverface is your answer. The Drip cap versions of 1968-1970 are identical to the Blackface models. In 1971 Fender changed the circut for more headroom. Any Silverface, can be "Blackfaced" very easily. There is a ton of info on the web, Or any decent Amp Tech can do it for less than $200.
I personally like the 1977-1979 Twins. These have 135 Watt Shumacher Output Trannies. Do a Blackface mod on one of these and you will have TONE for days.
Speakers: Most Twins need to have the Speakers replaced. The Classic JBL's are very popular, But there are a few Eminence models than will give you Great Tone, while not costing a fortune. (Texas Heat)
Reverb tank: The Reverb tanks wear out over the years, They become sproingy and bright. A Modern 6 spring reverb tank by Accutronics are amazing. Be sure to get the full size replacement tank, as the shorter tanks dont sound as good.
Tubes: This could be a book in and of it self, Spend the bread on some Quality tubes. It really does make all the difference in TONE! I splurge on NOS GE Black Plate 6L6's and 12AX7's. = Best!!!
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1radicalron ➑️
I am a certifiable Twin Reverb Freak! I currently own 4 of them. But I have owned dozens over the years. If you are going for colllectabiity, then an original Tweed, or Blackface is the way to go. If your going for the ultimate Gigging Amp, Then a Silverface is your answer. The Drip cap versions of 1968-1970 are identical to the Blackface models. In 1971 Fender changed the circut for more headroom. Any Silverface, can be "Blackfaced" very easily. There is a ton of info on the web, Or any decent Amp Tech can do it for less than $200.
I personally like the 1977-1979 Twins. These have 135 Watt Shumacher Output Trannies. Do a Blackface mod on one of these and you will have TONE for days.
Speakers: Most Twins need to have the Speakers replaced. The Classic JBL's are very popular, But there are a few Eminence models than will give you Great Tone, while not costing a fortune. (Texas Heat)
Reverb tank: The Reverb tanks wear out over the years, They become sproingy and bright. A Modern 6 spring reverb tank by Accutronics are amazing. Be sure to get the full size replacement tank, as the shorter tanks dont sound as good.
Tubes: This could be a book in and of it self, Spend the bread on some Quality tubes. It really does make all the difference in TONE! I splurge on NOS GE Black Plate 6L6's and 12AX7's. = Best!!!
awesome. maybe you should write a book. do a limited press. and call your self the afficianado of the fender twin. thanks. very nice. i think it is likely that i will go for a late model silver face. should i try to get one that is still all stock, and then mod it when i can? 12 tubes in one amp? ain't that a lot of dough? you must have the ultimate fender twin. does the price of a collectible amp go down when one mods it?
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan wood ➑️
awesome. maybe you should write a book. do a limited press. and call your self the afficianado of the fender twin. thanks. very nice. i think it is likely that i will go for a late model silver face. should i try to get one that is still all stock, and then mod it when i can? 12 tubes in one amp? ain't that a lot of dough? you must have the ultimate fender twin. does the price of a collectible amp go down when one mods it?
so i can get any silverface and turn it into a monster? can I turn any fender twin into this ultra moded version, or is it only the silverfaces and tweeds? cuz one can buy a nineties or 2,000's model for $600 or so. and perhaps then i wouldn't feel weird about modifying a collectible piece of gear. should i feel weird about that? thanks
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
check out the hand wired tweed twin thats out now, that thing is incredible! I have a run of the mill silver 78 twin reverb and love it. Paid 600 bucks.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
gorillainthemix's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan wood ➑️
so i can get any silverface and turn it into a monster? can I turn any fender twin into this ultra moded version, or is it only the silverfaces and tweeds? cuz one can buy a nineties or 2,000's model for $600 or so. and perhaps then i wouldn't feel weird about modifying a collectible piece of gear. should i feel weird about that? thanks
The more you mod the circuit, the more it'll lose value.
Check these guys out:
Vintage Guitars from a Fender Stratocaster, Jazzmaster, or Les Paul Custom to Marshall Amps, Fulltone, and Kasha amps
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan wood ➑️
so i can get any silverface and turn it into a monster? can I turn any fender twin into this ultra moded version, or is it only the silverfaces and tweeds? cuz one can buy a nineties or 2,000's model for $600 or so. and perhaps then i wouldn't feel weird about modifying a collectible piece of gear. should i feel weird about that? thanks
The key is the amp has to be turret board based. The newer ones have circuit boards and could not be blackfaced like the late 70's ones can be, at least not without major modifications.

I too have a question: has anyone done a tube rectifier mod on their twin? I have a '68 silverface that needs some repairs and I was thinking about adding a little switch to go between tube and solid state rectifier. My '67 blackface Princeton has a tube rectifier and I absolutely love the way it sounds. I stumbled upon my Twin at the Groove Tubes going out of business sale!
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 178 views: 8799
Avatar for Bstapper
Bstapper 30th July 2019
replies: 1 views: 405
Avatar for tINY
tINY 25th February 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump