One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)
Old 3rd May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➑️
thats looks very comfortable and love the Dueling Organs .. cheers john
Thank you John. Since I am mainly a mastering facility I tried to make my room as comfortable as your own living room. Musicians tend to respond to this very favorably

The songs they cut that day with the dueling B3 organs were pretty cool. Jared was only 15 at the time and his teacher, Tony was 59 and if you heard the cuts you would be hard-pressed to tell who was the student and who was the teacher. Very cool stuff.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear
I do that sometimes, most of the time I prefer it to the standard setup. I definitely could work like this way full time
Attached Thumbnails
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-886874_454500994744334_1912393036808836607_o.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-1377527_233349263526176_7277560768186452783_n.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-12525663_457451527782614_3553654863413865530_o.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Since I am mainly a mastering facility I tried to make my room as comfortable as your own living room.
Out of curiosity Larry...if you do not mind.
Could you tell us what is the size(width, height, depth) of the room please?
Is this stairs at the rear left?
I do not see that much room treatments, are they hidden in the walls?
Thanks
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
2 things from your pics ... Digging the 421 Cymbal Setup ... and is that a Tascam 388 ??? the reel version (might have had tape in a cartridge) ..

i have not seen one of those since Mitchell Delevie had one at his apartment in the valley somewhere 25 years ago ..

cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➑️
I do that sometimes, most of the time I prefer it to the standard setup. I definitely could work like this way full time
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➑️
2 things from your pics ... Digging the 421 Cymbal Setup ... and is that a Tascam 388 ??? the reel version (might have had tape in a cartridge) ..

i have not seen one of those since Mitchell Delevie had one at his apartment in the valley somewhere 25 years ago ..

cheers john
Yes, there are MD421 as the overheads, actually this whole session was just dynamic microphones, sounded pretty good!

And also yes, it is Tascam 388 reel to reel and mixer in one heavy package. I didn't use the tape section though, only the mixer. It was all live, no headphones recording. We used a lot of ribbon microphones (RCA 44, 2 x RCA 74, RCA MI-6203, 2 x STC 4033) so lack of the phantom power wasn't a problem really. It turned out very vintagey sounding, so it fit the bill like a charm even if it wasn't really era accurate with the music.

Last edited by cyjanopan; 3rd May 2016 at 07:21 PM..
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funka ➑️
Quote:
Since I am mainly a mastering facility I tried to make my room as comfortable as your own living room.
Out of curiosity Larry...if you do not mind.
Could you tell us what is the size(width, height, depth) of the room please?
Is this stairs at the rear left?
I do not see that much room treatments, are they hidden in the walls?
Thanks
Sure the room was design by Stephen Durr out of Nashville. The room is built to Louden's ratios and there are Helmholtz resonators built into the walls and the 4 lighted bass traps at the front were designed for specific frequencies. Because it's a mastering room not all the walls needed to be double construction or room within a room. Stephen was designing a good accurate listen environment... What a mastering room needs to be. The size is 26 feet deep, 20 feet wide and 16 feet high.

There's only about 5000.00 in room treatments in the room. Two lighted4'x12' clouds sit above my head.

Because I sit in the one third position I didn't do all the refraction or bass trapping at the back. I have big overstuffed chairs for my clients that sit at the 2/3rd position and they act as bass traps. Then I have sonotube bass traps in the back corners and diffraction behind the drums. The rear wall is not an issue at all.

Yes stairs in the back left with the bass trap on the landing. The whole building was built as my lab/workshop. I also have a galley kitchen, lounge, full bathroom and bedroom for clients should they need to stay the night.

My wife and I call it key to a perfect marriage, his and hers housing! Ha ha
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you for the detailed answer Larry.
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Butcher Boy Studio

Not mine, but a mentor's. Absolutely killer space.
Old 4th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for Jesus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers ➑️

Watch and listen to this recording in my 1-room studio.
Hi, great job

I didn't think there were any Jazz in the Philippines ! I love it
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Has anyone mentioned Cowboy Technical in Brooklyn? Its Roscoe Amble's @ roscoenyc place. They just moved locations, but are still working as a one room facility, and the new joint looks great.

COWBOY TECHNICAL SERVICES
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks much Drumsound!
We are up and running over in Greenpoint now. We have a booth and 2 guitar iso cabs and we are doing great.
Anybody wants to stop by shoot me a note.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...pssglqb9hu.jpg

Somehow I can't seem to post any pics but there are some on the website. Thanks again Drumsound.
Old 5th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoenyc ➑️
Thanks much Drumsound!
We are up and running over in Greenpoint now. We have a booth and 2 guitar iso cabs and we are doing great.

Somehow I can't seem to post any pics but there are some on the website. Thanks again Drumsound.
Checked out the pics. Beautiful set up.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music ➑️
Checked out the pics. Beautiful set up.
Thanks much.
It's our third "one room plus" type studio. (16 years of operation)
It's my favorite way to work.

Last edited by roscoenyc; 5th May 2016 at 10:13 PM..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks much Drumsound!

I'm happy to share the love, man!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
While I'm at it there's also Pete Wiess' Verdant in Vermont
Verdant: Pete Weiss' Vermont Recording Studio
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a small one room studio but it falls more into the category the OP doesn't want to see, so I'll just ask my question.

Why would you want a one room studio, where your monitoring is in the same room that you track in? I find it to be a huge disadvantage in regards to microphone placement and it's difficult to properly dial in compression while tracking so I avoid it for most things.
Old 6th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Changed some of the gear since this photo! Hope you like cheers
Old 8th May 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner ➑️
Why would you want a one room studio, where your monitoring is in the same room that you track in? I find it to be a huge disadvantage in regards to microphone placement and it's difficult to properly dial in compression while tracking so I avoid it for most things.
My first one room place was initially a place to store my gear. Then I realized I could set it up and start using it in that space.

I'm in NYC. Space has always been hard to find, even in 'emerging' neighborhoods. Of all the studios I know only a couple actually own their spaces. Most rent.
Buildouts can be extremely expensive and when you are in a place with a not so long lease a big buildout doesn't make much sense.
Another factor is how much time does the studio actually spend doing full band tracking sessions? For us it's about 10 to 15% of the time. The buildout on a one room place is much less expensive and a lot easier to do.
I don't want to sit in the small room the rest of that time.
After we had our first one room place I quickly learned a lot of positives that come with it.
Great communication.
Nobody messing with the sound while you are playing.
No extra people! That's a big one. I've thought about that. Would you go to a baseball game and take your chair and set it down right next to 2nd base?
In all the years I've been recording I can't think of a single time when having guests there when we were actually working was a positive thing. Sure, drop by, say hello, play a little something for somebody but then it's "we'll see you" and back to work.
All of my places have had at least one booth, sometimes 2 but after working this way for almost 20 years I'm not sure that I'd do it different even if I did have all kinds of space. I like it that much. Our clients like it too. Over those years we lost a couple gigs because the client didn't really get our setup but that's fine. We have a lot of great clients that really appreciate the vibe and workflow of the one room plus type setup.
Old 9th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My first one room place was initially a place to store my gear. Then I realized I could set it up and start using it in that space.

I'm in NYC. Space has always been hard to find, even in 'emerging' neighborhoods. Of all the studios I know only a couple actually own their spaces. Most rent.
Buildouts can be extremely expensive and when you are in a place with a not so long lease a big buildout doesn't make much sense.
Another factor is how much time does the studio actually spend doing full band tracking sessions? For us it's about 10 to 15% of the time. The buildout on a one room place is much less expensive and a lot easier to do.
I don't want to sit in the small room the rest of that time.
After we had our first one room place I quickly learned a lot of positives that come with it.
Great communication.
Nobody messing with the sound while you are playing.
No extra people! That's a big one. I've thought about that. Would you go to a baseball game and take your chair and set it down right next to 2nd base?
In all the years I've been recording I can't think of a single time when having guests there when we were actually working was a positive thing. Sure, drop by, say hello, play a little something for somebody but then it's "we'll see you" and back to work.
All of my places have had at least one booth, sometimes 2 but after working this way for almost 20 years I'm not sure that I'd do it different even if I did have all kinds of space. I like it that much. Our clients like it too. Over those years we lost a couple gigs because the client didn't really get our setup but that's fine. We have a lot of great clients that really appreciate the vibe and workflow of the one room plus type setup.
Cool, thanks for the reply. That all makes sense, I definitely understand the cost issue. I'll be in my one room place for a little while still.

The communication is nice for sure, it's pretty cool being in the same room with the performer.

I'm really looking forward to be able to have someone else move mics around while I listen in the control room though. Can only do so much with cans and record/playback looking for sweet spots.
Old 10th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Couple of questions.

Is there ever a time when the client insists on using headphones despite the one room setup? Say the bassist and/or keyboard player refuses to use an amp...

And if so do you try and talk them out of it?

If you go along with it what's your method for good monitoring in that situation?

And my last question is do you avoid Omni mics? Because I love, love, love Omnis personally.

Curious since I'm doing a one room build right now and have been thinking about these points a lot lately...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➑️
Couple of questions.

Is there ever a time when the client insists on using headphones despite the one room setup? Say the bassist and/or keyboard player refuses to use an amp...

And if so do you try and talk them out of it?

If you go along with it what's your method for good monitoring in that situation?

And my last question is do you avoid Omni mics? Because I love, love, love Omnis personally.

Curious since I'm doing a one room build right now and have been thinking about these points a lot lately...
I'm a producer and co-owner of our studio. I've always had meetings or pre-production with any band that's come in to track there.
We do have a booth and 2 guitar ISO cabs. We also have the Private Q headphone system which everyone seems to love.
Most often we track bass through a DI and re-amp when we mix.
I'm a guitar player and we have a lot of guitar gear including small amps and attenuators that help the one room situation.
I don't use Omnis very often but I do use Ribbons (fig 8) a whole lot. It's all about how you angle them.
We do have quite a bit of treatment in our place. All that helps too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm a producer and co-owner of our studio. I've always had meetings or pre-production with any band that's come in to track there.
We do have a booth and 2 guitar ISO cabs. We also have the Private Q headphone system which everyone seems to love.
Most often we track bass through a DI and re-amp when we mix.
I'm a guitar player and we have a lot of guitar gear including small amps and attenuators that help the one room situation.
I don't use Omnis very often but I do use Ribbons (fig 8) a whole lot. It's all about how you angle them.
We do have quite a bit of treatment in our place. All that helps too.

Thanks roscoenyc. Appreciate the info. Yeah I really like working this way with the whole band in one room. I love ribbons too. Never had any issues with the rear lobes picking up too much spill. Sometimes that can be just what the doctor ordered. But the Omnis. Are they troublesome in your space or you just don't use them too often by default? When I say I love Omnis I really mean that. Got about (5) stereo pairs and use them for all types of situations. Guess I'll just have to test a bunch of scenarios and see how it grabs me. Thanks again.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks roscoenyc. Appreciate the info. Yeah I really like working this way with the whole band in one room. I love ribbons too. Never had any issues with the rear lobes picking up too much spill. Sometimes that can be just what the doctor ordered. But the Omnis. Are they troublesome in your space or you just don't use them too often by default? When I say I love Omnis I really mean that. Got about (5) stereo pairs and use them for all types of situations. Guess I'll just have to test a bunch of scenarios and see how it grabs me. Thanks again.
I'm just not in a habit of using Omni very often. We just moved into our new space. I guess I should give one a try next time. My main drum overhead is the Royer SF-12. Our new space has 17' ceilings and we have quite a bit of treatment in there. The separation we get compared to our last place which had 10' ceilings is really something.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm just not in a habit of using Omni very often. We just moved into our new space. I guess I should give one a try next time. My main drum overhead is the Royer SF-12. Our new space has 17' ceilings and we have quite a bit of treatment in there. The separation we get compared to our last place which had 10' ceilings is really something.

Just checked your photobucket link above. Great place and great vibe! My new space has very similar dimensions as yours except ceilings are 14ft. I LOVE how you had all the snakes going into that large plastic tub! Great idea. I've been wondering how I would address this myself. It's like a jungle behind my current desk, lol. Again thanks for sharing with us. Brooklyn born here, by the way. Later.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just checked your photobucket link above. Great place and great vibe! My new space has very similar dimensions as yours except ceilings are 14ft. I LOVE how you had all the snakes going into that large plastic tub! Great idea. I've been wondering how I would address this myself. It's like a jungle behind my current desk, lol. Again thanks for sharing with us. Brooklyn born here, by the way. Later.
Ah yes, the CTS Cable Stable! It's a good organizer.
Thanks much Funny Cat.
There's some more pics of our new place on the studio Facebook page if you like
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7159206&type=3
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Addict

The Wood Room in Real World Studios??? Definitely in my top 5 rooms I'd like to record in.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41...7i10000!8i5000
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dial ➑️
The Wood Room in Real World Studios??? Definitely in my top 5 rooms I'd like to record in.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41...7i10000!8i5000
Fantastic!
Old 11th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with everything Roscoe has stated in his posts.
As a matter of fact, after owning and operating 5 of my own facilities in New York, since 1972.
(The last location was for 30 years!)
I'm sorry it took so damn long for me to realize the benefits of this type of recording. Really.
Sure there are a few drawbacks, but funny enough, they don't outweigh the positives for me. (although you might be different)

And on top of everything else, EVERY, and I mean HANDS DOWN, EVERY SINGLE CLIENT / BAND / ARTIST that has recorded here in my new place, and who recorded with me in my last BIG Isolated Studio, no matter what type of music it is, has told me they like this set up better...
Sessions go quicker, the vibe is great, it's been a win, win!

WHO KNEW?
Attached Thumbnails
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-console-7.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-studio-2.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-studio-1.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-drum-5.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-room-83.jpg  

One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-amps-8.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-amps-6.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-drum-95.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-dsc07620.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-dsc07619.jpg  

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler ➑️
I agree with everything Roscoe has stated in his posts.
As a matter of fact, after owning and operating 5 of my own facilities in New York, since 1972.
(The last location was for 30 years!)
I'm sorry it took so damn long for me to realize the benefits of this type of recording. Really.
Sure there are a few drawbacks, but funny enough, they don't outweigh the positives for me. (although you might be different)

And on top of everything else, EVERY, and I mean HANDS DOWN, EVERY SINGLE CLIENT / BAND / ARTIST that has recorded here in my new place, and who recorded with me in my last BIG Isolated Studio, no matter what type of music it is, has told me they like this set up better...
Sessions go quicker, the vibe is great, it's been a win, win!

WHO KNEW?
And it's not just the Beer!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ha....
But the Studio's pub was also in my last location!

Besides that, only a select few even know about it.

Last edited by nobtwiddler; 11th May 2016 at 01:46 PM..
πŸ“ Reply