Quantcast
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!) - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey thanks all for the replies.
Some of these i have seen and been to... but some new ones to get the creative juices flowing in my design!

keep em coming
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom ➡️
...anyone mentioned George Massenburg's Blackbird's Studio C in Nashville?

This is a production (video @youtube) in this studio.
quite impressive!

Cheers
Stefan
What is the mic on the violin? A ribbon?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➡️
What is the mic on the violin? A ribbon?
that's what I thought too - obviously vintage... but i have no idea which one. RCA or EV?
...haven't found it here on the courtant.org website
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
looked again. It's an AEA R84.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ive sat in that Room C of blackbird that the video was shot in and listened to that track in surround... GM's mix. felt like i was in the room with the band... drums behind me...
it was something else. heh
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My place is basically one big room (40' x 45' -ish), but I use some gobos and flexible divider walls to semi-isolate the corner with the Elite at mix time.

here are a couple of pics...
Attached Thumbnails
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-bigroom1.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-cr1.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-corner.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-bigroom3.jpg  
Old 28th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
this is an excellent thread!

I'm finishing up a studio that is 1-room in design.

But I have a provision for dividing the room into two when the time, need and money arises.

but for now, it's definitely a 1-room studio with no isolation booth!
Old 29th July 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mine is a personal studio so maybe it's out of place in this league but the sound is getting better and has potential .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Single Room...very dry

works for what I do...for now.
Attached Thumbnails
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-may-2010-070.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro ➡️
Can anyone explain how to isolate the noise from the Console PSU, Computer etc in a one room setup. Isolation box?
Exactly.

I have the isolation box built by Sound Construction sitting directly to my left and it is dead quiet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
and how do you monitor? Headphones? surely not ideal?
During tracking yes headphones . Mixing thru nearfields.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
and how do you monitor? Headphones? surely not ideal?
During tracking yes headphones. Mixing thru nearfields.
Old 30th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
dan lanois and mark howard often work in room studios or "location" recording...

in this video the recording/mixing desk is just off camera

dan and willie at the teratro...

Old 30th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love those Black Dub videos. The kind of thing I'd like to do. Of course it doesn't hurt that I'd bite Trixie in half. I was watching this one the other day. Suddenly the towards the end the drums go super-wide and I thought, hmmm..., did he throw some sort of effect on the drums suddenly. That would be kind of unusual for such otherwise extremely naturalistic stuff. But it turned out that Trixie had jumped on another drum kit.

Old 21st August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Have to chime in here. I have a one room studio and although it can be a challenge when micing up an acoustic guitar in stereo for instance, there are significant benefits, as well. As an engineer, I have observed many singers isolated out in the studio getting a little uncomfortable as opinions are offered and general chatter goes on in the control room. That never happens in a one room environment as everyone is constantly a part of the process. I think singers enjoy it and obviously the communication is more intimate.
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Bumping this old thread. Ive got a 15x20ft room i plan to turn into to a "one room" studio and would love to see some others!
Old 4th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
One room studios still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcat5503 ➡️
Bumping this old thread. Ive got a 15x20ft room i plan to turn into to a "one room" studio and would love to see some others!
Here's mine, not commercial, about 90% of the way there. It is designed to be completely flex, i.e. no fixed positions, encourage changing positions of stuff and prioritizing collaboration and sound over gear
Attached Thumbnails
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-img_3207.jpg  

Last edited by SteveGTR; 4th January 2016 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: add pic
Old 5th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Beautiful room.

Steve,
Your new room is absolutely BEAUTIFUL...
Looks like it's gonna be a wonderful setting to record in.
Keep us posted.

Good luck.
Old 5th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet...

Home - The Church Studios

Jaw-dropping.

...and for the YouTube people:
https://youtu.be/DDWKuo3gXMQ
Old 5th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler ➡️
Steve,
Your new room is absolutely BEAUTIFUL...
Looks like it's gonna be a wonderful setting to record in.
Keep us posted.

Good luck.
Thank you! Will keep posting the progress!
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years

Watch and listen to this recording in my 1-room studio.
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
i'm wondering if tracking/setting up mics with just headphones... doesn't that suck. i am thinking the biggest advantage of having a live room is being able to set up a good tracking mix out of the speaker...
This is also my biggest problem. I have a 1-room setup that sounds great. The problem is getting a good sound is a chore because I can't just listen in & adjust, especially with drums.

here's the process: record a bit, listen... then re-ajust, then record a bit, then listen, etc.

With a live room, you can sit in the control room & play around with compression, eq, preamps, etc.

Being able to "dial in" a sounds & find sweet spots is close to impossible the way I'm doing it.

Any strategies for this, or do I need to build a live room?
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mactac - See my post above (#36). The moveable walls from Silent Source let me configure my room into separate live & mix areas in 2 minutes.
Fabric-Wrapped Panels - SilentSpace Panel
Old 4th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers ➡️

Watch and listen to this recording in my 1-room studio.
Really nice live and open sound!
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First picture is side wall, next is rear wall with the drum kit and rear wall diffusion. 3rd shows the desk / keyboard setup, the desk blocks the view of the drum kit. 4th shows the rear wall / roof diffusion, and the last shows the opposite side with corner roof panels that creates a vocal booth.

This is a 15/10ft room with a low front and high rear ceiling. I think this is a very efficient use of a room that i'm really really happy with. The drum kit is positioned in a way that is comfortable for the player, it has diffusion behind it and above it. It positions the desk a good 6ft from the wall. But leaves enough room for a few guests to sit and listen.

I strictly use Triad Orbit Stands (I still have 2 latch lake stands i'm selling and a couple traditional stands. The triad stands I have roof / wall mounts around the room where I can quick release any mic setup I need. This frees floor space up.

All 4 corners are heavily bass trapped with 4 inch mineral wool as are the surrounding walls. But the addition of 21 diffusion panels (18"x18") keeps the room alive and it truly sounds amazing. I paneled the rest of the bare walls with wood panelling as this also helps with the 'sound' of the room. Wood sounds better than plasterboard, I give you my word on that.

I wish I had better pictures, hard to display the room with just an iphone. But it sounds amazing, mixing in here is a charm and the drum recordings are really really nice.

The vocal booth is completely dry without any boxyness... completely open. It has no sound, very happy with the concept and how it worked out. Sounds like your recording in the desert, just zero reflection yet it's nice and fresh and alive.

Anyways, i'm chuffed, but it really is an efficient setup that works very very well. Diffusion completely changed the game in here. Wood diffusion that is, the auralex plastic diffusion panels are horrible and sound as they should, like plastic. These r cheap to make.
Attached Thumbnails
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-img_4275.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-img_4277.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-img_4276.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-img_4278.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-img_4280.jpg  

Old 5th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 ➡️
First picture is side wall, next is rear wall with the drum kit and rear wall diffusion. 3rd shows the desk / keyboard setup, the desk blocks the view of the drum kit. 4th shows the rear wall / roof diffusion, and the last shows the opposite side with corner roof panels that creates a vocal booth.

This is a 15/10ft room with a low front and high rear ceiling. I think this is a very efficient use of a room that i'm really really happy with. The drum kit is positioned in a way that is comfortable for the player, it has diffusion behind it and above it. It positions the desk a good 6ft from the wall. But leaves enough room for a few guests to sit and listen.

I strictly use Triad Orbit Stands (I still have 2 latch lake stands i'm selling and a couple traditional stands. The triad stands I have roof / wall mounts around the room where I can quick release any mic setup I need. This frees floor space up.

All 4 corners are heavily bass trapped with 4 inch mineral wool as are the surrounding walls. But the addition of 21 diffusion panels (18"x18") keeps the room alive and it truly sounds amazing. I paneled the rest of the bare walls with wood panelling as this also helps with the 'sound' of the room. Wood sounds better than plasterboard, I give you my word on that.

I wish I had better pictures, hard to display the room with just an iphone. But it sounds amazing, mixing in here is a charm and the drum recordings are really really nice.

The vocal booth is completely dry without any boxyness... completely open. It has no sound, very happy with the concept and how it worked out. Sounds like your recording in the desert, just zero reflection yet it's nice and fresh and alive.

Anyways, i'm chuffed, but it really is an efficient setup that works very very well. Diffusion completely changed the game in here. Wood diffusion that is, the auralex plastic diffusion panels are horrible and sound as they should, like plastic. These r cheap to make.
Nice¡¡¡¡ Please post more pics¡¡¡: Lol:: Lol:: Lol:
Old 1st May 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm a big fan of the one room setup. I closed in my single car garage to do a one room thing in there.

DTLA and Domus both have pretty rad one room setups.
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi
I´ve built a One Room from the ground up. Ended up being 10 times, 6, times 4 meters. Saw in the thread it took 5 years from plot to finished room!!Still changing stuff but happy so far. Don´t forget Storage space would be my advice./Toby

https://gearspace.com/board/photo-di...ka-sweden.html
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I love the single room concept, for communication it doesn't get much better.
Attached Thumbnails
One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-image.jpg   One Room studio setups (NOT bedrooms!)-image.jpg  
Old 3rd May 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
thats looks very comfortable and love the Dueling Organs .. cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone ➡️
I love the single room concept, for communication it doesn't get much better.
📝 Reply