Quantcast
Where do you place equipment for best workflow? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where do you place equipment for best workflow?
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where do you place equipment for best workflow?

For those working without a console...

What gets the premier desk space in front of your mix position?

Tracking stuff - preamps, headphone amp,...
Mixing stuff: compressors, eq,...

I only have about 12 rack spaces above my desk. Right now I have my preamps there. Now that I have a few nice outboard pieces I'm thinking it will be better to place copressors and Eqs right in front of my face rather than the preamps.

I'm about to buy a patchbay (Switchcraft TT DB25 is where I'm leaning) and need to figure out the cabling.

I'm thinking I'll put my Aurora16, patchbay, headphone amp and all the preamps in my deskside rack and leave the top of the desk for monitor switch, compressors & EQs.

Eventually I need to build a better desk with more rack spaces near the top surface.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would say that pre-amps are more 'set-once' things whereas eqs and comps tend to require more tweaking.

You could get one of those wheely racks too
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

This situation is exactly why we developed the AudioLot CRC. If you haven't already seen it, check it out.

AudioLot CRC (Control Room Concept) - Pro Audio Sales - AudioLot - 888-224-3343

We can ship these anywhere in the world.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Tracking I'm not worried about the soundstage in the way I worry about the soundstage on mixdown. So, EQ and compression I need to have within reach of the sweet spot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➡️
This situation is exactly why we developed the AudioLot CRC. If you haven't already seen it, check it out.

AudioLot*CRC (Control Room Concept) - Pro Audio Sales - AudioLot - 888-224-3343

We can ship these anywhere in the world.
Great workstations Joshua. They're out of my league, but I hope you do well with them.

Functionally yours is similar to my current desk. My 4 desktop racks are 4u vertical, yours are 5u st a slight angle. I'm loosing 4 spaces to the height of a 24 channel surface. In my next desk revision I'll countersink the control surface.

Yours is much better built, better acoustically,...

For anyone that care's, here's the desk I'm working at. This pic doesn't belong in the High End forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do you place equipment for best workflow?-studio.jpg  

Last edited by mmcfarlane; 29th January 2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: updated desk picture
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My rig is a hybrid like yours. I currently have two racks. At the top are the patchbays, then the channel strips, then the compressors, then the effects, then anything else for playback, 2 trk master recorder, etc.

Should I expand into a credenza, then the patchbay will be by the desk and the credenza will be pres, channel strips, EQs, Comps/Limiters, Effects, Master recorder & Playback. Some things may move lower so that the stuff with the most knobs and smallest writing can live towards the top. I try to keep amps, power supplies, etc. from taking up any "Broadway" or "Park Place" real estate in the rack. For example, the headphone amp is currently on bricks above the console power supply (for a relatively small broadcast console).
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still thinking about my next studio desk...

In a studio with a large console and a bunch of racks the person mixing has to walk around to change settings.

This started me to think (a dangerous proposition), and I thought maybe this is actually a better setup. It forces you to get the hell out of the chair (sweet spot) and listen from a different perspective. The way many of your customers will be listening...

Maybe there is an advantage putting outboard gear far away from the workstation, intentionally inconvenient.

Maybe my mom dropped me on my head as a child.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…