Best Lead Vocal Mix Compressor/s?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Crane Song Trakker on Vintage Air Optical for me
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I heard the ELOP and it's really good....i'm gonna get one soon.....i think it's the best "value for money" in the LA2A territory......but as allways the choices are pretty unlimited, right?

of course i love both the Tubetech and the LA2A....

Sometimes i love to track vocals through a Manley Vari Mu....very smooth sounding.....not so much of a heavy comp but it can be the "missing link" in occasions....

on the solid state side....1176 is a great choice....and MC77 even better IMO

Another comp i love to track through is the AMEK 9098.....i know that most people around here hate almost everything with the name AMEK on it.....but this comp is really great....versatille (clean or coloured),lots of controll for the user (well a bit complex layout) and really nice sounding.....and the best autorelease function ever made IMO.......and you can found themin really silly prices these days.....

However if it has to be only one....you should seriously consider a distressor....it does many things and it does it really well....it can be pretty convincing and smooth in the "opto mode" or act as an ultra fast vca or fet comp....it can be pretty gently and transparent or it can add lots of harmonics and distortion (the nice one)......and of course there is the Brit mode....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodemos ➑️
on the solid state side....1176 is a great choice....and MC77 even better IMO
really?

do go on......heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie ➑️
really?

do go on......heh
...well to be honest i've only heard the modern UA 1176's and not any of the older UREI's so my opinion is regarding these versus the MC77.....and of course it's only what i think based on MY taste
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodemos ➑️
...well to be honest i've only heard the modern UA 1176's and not any of the older UREI's so my opinion is regarding these versus the MC77.....and of course it's only what i think based on MY taste
i am just curious- and of course its personal taste!

i loved the silver face - i had at the old place...

so maybe a retro one is a better option!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yeah this seems the right way to go for me - but how about a summit TLA100 into an LA2A or 1176?
it would be quite nice. you may want to automate rather than just strap n go if you're getting a tad too much color from the tla100 and the singer is very dynamic.

Quote:
Hit the vocal with the tubes (vac rac/summit/cl1b) first to hold it down and then push it out with the UREI's...
for me personally i'd say transparent more than tube to hold it down, a tube comp may or not be transparent (ie la2a) but the summit should cover it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmiguel ➑️

for me personally i'd say transparent more than tube to hold it down, a tube comp may or not be transparent (ie la2a) but the summit should cover it
ah ha!

this is where we need to begoin ok!

so summit to hold it then? 1176 or LA2A for upfront sound?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
never tried a cl1b.

i do own distressors, mc77, La-2a and....my favorite of them all for tracking vocals is......

the vintage design c1! Its kind of funny because it was the first I bought. So I was always dreaming about how it would a LA2A sound, or a MC77, or any of the other compressors I ended up buying later on.

In the end I still prefer the c1! Is way smoother and gentler. You can make it pretty invisible. And I love the weight and gloss it gives to vocals. So much I couldnt yet find a vocal where I prefered the LA, wich I find too colored for tracking. On the other hand i love the 2A for bass. Wow. So I guess my tastes are not so standard...

c1 for vocals
la2a bass
mc77 bass and kick. VO. Agressive vocals.
distressors are for drums
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
100 vs 100a

I'm thinking of getting one and I'm curious to know what the difference actually is between the TLA 100 and the TLA 100A
I've seen that the 100A's are post (Crane Song Guy - Can't remember his name) but does anyone know what is actually different in them??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
1176 or LA2A for upfront sound?
well now you're at a matter of taste, and you gotta pick your color, its hard to chase someone elses sound own for them on such little info. clearly a lot of different people are getting there different ways.

there are 100,000 diff threads on what artist/mixer/vocal chain and color and you could literally spend a year researching them all (and listening to the descriptions....it never works for me), but it takes only hours to hear them, or days to demo them at your place.

it would take a much smaller slice of your life and get you to the fast lane much much much quicker. this, i know for sure.
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you're talking about a compressor to use on a vocal during mixdown then I would recommend the AnaMod 660. I've been using one since they appeared and am very pleased with it.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Late ly I've had awesome results with the Focusrite Red 3 on Lead Vox...... Seems to bring Vox up in your face!
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am thinking 1176/LA2A/Summit TLA100?

Particularly for clear/smooth sounding pop...

any idea/thoughts/opinions?

I love this one on vocals: Knif Lumi

---
Marko MyΓΆhΓ€nen
Finland
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I like the TLA100 for vocals, it is quite butterlike and silky.
A little bit to much noice though for sensetive stuff to my taste.
But defenately a good sounding compressor!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been using a very clean Gates 38 for about a year now and can't be happier. It's not uncommon for me to use a couple of comps on the vox as well. I really like the LA-3's, Distressor, hell, just depends on what is going on and what you want it to sound like.
Druhms
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for TLA-100A. For tracking, it's excellent for leveling the performance out. I usually take 3-5dB's off but sometimes push it to -10. It gets my vox safely ITB, then I can try out whatever plugs/hardware during mixdown to get my color, texture, etc. Alot of the time, I end up with another -3db's using some kind of 1176 followup.

It's probably worth mentioning that I rarely have to de-ess the lead vox using that setup.

(I know mic and pre will alter those results............................................flame on.)
Old 21st July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Like some one mentioned above there's no reason to knock the TLA100A, it's a fantastic compressor with its own sound.

+'s you can push it to over 8db of reduction without any adverse effect on the source. It adds a thickness to the sound which is very usable. It's very simple to operate and very easy to get it to do what you want it to do.

-'s It can be noisy. The thickness sometimes isn't right for the source - so try something else - mine gets very hot, not sure if this is a common trait.

I have two compressors here that hardly get a positive mention in this forum, the TLA and the DBX 162sl. Both are superb, the DBX is great for voice (in overeasy/auto mode) and is super clean.

Steve
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like to sneak the GE BA7A up behind the vocal for a little size.... Big one in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Lead Vocal Mix Compressor/s?-img_0096.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Also, look at this video. Behind the guy doing the interview, looks like a TLA100A to me.

Trevor Horn producer pt one VIDEO interview at SARM recording studios London

Also Butch Vig mentioned using the TLA100A with a Shure SM7b

Not saying this means anything, just that top producers use this compressor

Steve
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
La3a set and forget, impossible to make it sound less than stellar with 5-12db GR. I love it as the first comp, followed by cl1b or 1176 or vertigo or ssl or...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Summit DCL-200 is a great choice too. LA2A is good but like another poster said, it's a bit limited. Lately I've been using my Focusrite Red 3 and that too is a great choice for lead vocals...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Api 525
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no love for the distressor here?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wondering how the Distressor on "Opto" setting would sound for vocals
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Neve 2254r,
It sounds fantastic!!
I love it on everything I use it on.
Kk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HAAAAAAAAAAAA ohhh noooooooooooooooo its the 'Butcher boy cover " !!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
+1 for the Summit DCL200....a bit more flexible in attack/release/slope than the TLA100
Lives for gear

By MIX compressor, weren't you getting at a POST comp, as opposed to a tracking comp? I'm sure that any comp works, really, but some are definitely more suitable for post than others.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
shadow hills opto is a new fav of mine on vox.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesaustin ➑️
I like to sneak the GE BA7A up behind the vocal for a little size.... Big one in the middle.

Wow! That picture has some serious mojo machines in there. Very cools stuff. I have been looking for a decent Ba7a for at least 2 years now. Where did you find yours?
Druhms
πŸ“ Reply