Quantcast
Reverb anomalies - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb anomalies
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Reverb anomalies

What causes this? On some songs that i mix the overall reverb sounds fine during the mixing stage. I normally listen on other systems particularly the car stereo just for a different listen. From the studio to the car the reverb is over the top. Its as if my room is somehow absorbing the reverb and masking it. Once I get to the car it is overbareing. (sp) Not all songs do this. Any ideas?
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalliburton ➡️
Any ideas?
Its either the room, monitors, monitor controller, level of playback & or playback DAC.

Its probably a combination of all the above.

If its over the top in the car than your room/monitors/playback are taking away the ability to hear clearly the density/tails of the reverbs when mixing. What happens is you will tend to compensate by adding more just to hear it or feel it in the mix.

For starters i would try the low level playback test & see in your mix room if at low levels are the reverb tails poking out too much or none at all. Then work backwards in terms of what to fix first.

Lastly the reverb you choose factors into this as well. Some reverbs are better at blending and others do better at making things poke out. If you are only using the first you will over compensate just to be able to hear it. From experience with working with reverbs on a 2D plane its a better idea to combine multiple things to get the desired effect that sounds like one whole than relying on just one unit.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In addition to what thrill said...

Check your mixes on headphones to get a rough idea of the reverb-balance.

Try to place your monitors wider than the usual triangle, perhaps you listen too "mono".

Some car stereos have built in compressors, how does a reference mix sound there?
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Phase cancellation. Move speakers a little bit, try changing from horizontal to vertical or vice-versa, try various setups with acoustic absorbers.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…