Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Really nice lush reverb: AKG BX20

Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Waves Impulse Response Library

Acoustics.Net.

The worlds largest online Library of impulse responses for waves IR series convolution reverbs. Bless thumbsup
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
teo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahwannabe ➡️

btw, i've actually never worked with a convo verb before! maybe this is a stupid question, but would an impulse from an actual cathedral or large concert hall give the same kind of sound as a hall/cathedral sound on a digital reverb unit? i always thought digital verbs sounded very nice, but nothing like the real spaces they supposedly emulate. am i off base here?
I used, and loved, exstensively Digidesign's Revibe... Halls sound very much real, and when you put something in a room...it's REALLLLY in the room!
They are not lush, do not alway sound beautiful and might not be what a track need, but compared to the classic sounds we all love (Lex and al.) these convolution reverbs are a whole new experience in hearing a "real" space.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using a convolution reverb will only add a sense of space to the track. It is not like tracking in an actual space. The convolution reverbs are just not able to interact with highly dynamic and/or transient heavy source material in the same manner. You can't get a smashing crack on the snare for instance. You can only add space around the snare which is not what most engineers are really looking for at all in a live drum room. The IR's are great if something is too upfront and dry and/or needs to gel in a space with other elements, but it provides only one aspect of what a real space actually provides.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
Using a convolution reverb will only add a sense of space to the track. It is not like tracking in an actual space. The convolution reverbs are just not able to interact with highly dynamic and/or transient heavy source material in the same manner. You can't get a smashing crack on the snare for instance.
well, a spacious, professionally designed studio is actually in the pipeline, if that's what you're suggesting but given the credit crunch at the moment i'm having trouble finding financing so i'm just gonna have to stick with the convo verbs for now heh

anyway even when i get a great space to track in i'll still need a nice lush reverb in the control room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony"CD"Kelly ➡️
Acoustics.Net.

The worlds largest online Library of impulse responses for waves IR series convolution reverbs. Bless thumbsup
thanks!

but i only see two devices listed: LX 48L and Plate 140... surely given the relative ease of capturing an impulse for a piece of outboard gear, i would think there should be ir's for just about every reverb unit ever made?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder ➡️
Bricatsi M7 seems to be the new standard.
Bricasti is by no means the new standard.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman ➡️

-R
You didn't like it?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
thanks!

but i only see two devices listed: LX 48L and Plate 140... surely given the relative ease of capturing an impulse for a piece of outboard gear, there should be ir's for just about every reverb unit ever made?[/quote]

I don't know what's going on with their site but if you click on IR Library / find an IR / View All, you'll see their complete library which includes more IRs under devices. Blessthumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot ➡️
+1 to Breverb. Free to demo, affordable to buy.
this is supposed to be kinda lex-y, yes? i think this is the sort of thing i was asking about on my original post, a nice rich-sounding algorhithmic reverb . how do you recon this compares with, say, altiverb running a lexicon impulse? or the eventide reverb plugins?

you know every post i write here just makes me miss my old lexiverb even more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony"CD"Kelly ➡️
I don't know what's going on with their site but if you click on IR Library / find an IR / View All, you'll see their complete library which includes more IRs under devices. Blessthumbsup
ok, yep there's a few more there, thanks for the tip (i was looking through the ir directory instead)

still, it's far from every reverb ever made!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
this is supposed to be kinda lex-y, yes? i think this is the sort of thing i was asking about on my original post, a nice rich-sounding algorhithmic reverb . how do you recon this compares with, say, altiverb running a lexicon impulse? or the eventide reverb plugins?

you know every post i write here just makes me miss my old lexiverb even more!

ok, yep there's a few more there, thanks for the tip (i was looking through the ir directory instead)

still, it's far from every reverb ever made!

Ok I understand you are looking for a plug in. Not hardware. I own a 480L and a 300, PCM class units.. and I have tried convolution software like the Waves stuff, and the Logic unit, and Altiverb, and they are all great for simulating enviroments but I can't get into them .... I found the CSR for IK Mulitmedia, which I find odd that no one mentioned..maybe because of their genre, I am mostly mic'd acoustic stuff and I thought the CSR unit sounds closest to my lex units...Organic... You can download a demo of it to try on their site...here
CSR - Classik Studio Reverb

and here is the GUI. It is really intuitive. CSR - Classik Studio Reverb

My opinion is that for music I find it to be very well..musical. and it's in your budget.
Just thought I would pipe in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Shockingly fantastic is the Ensoniq Dp Pro. Secret's out! Go find one for around $350.00 or so...you'll forever remember this post!

Ciao!
Quote:
You didn't like it?
cat herding. there is no standard. "standard" is a meaningless term.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

-R
Let's try to get some systematic order in these reverb battles:

I see three major categories where totally different reverbs and algorithms can each give good results:

-Postproduction(Film/TV):
Here is the realm of the "realistic" reverb. Sometimes convolution can sound very colored. That is no problem or even desirable in postpro to create unique rooms around dry recorded voice. TC is strong here with it's realistic VSS3/4 ER modeling. Convolution can be great.

-Music production adding room to dry signals:
This is something the Bricasti is often cited as being strong at. Like adding real room mics of a great room to a dry signal. But also many like Lexicon, TC and Qantec here. Those recording in their 'bedrooms' and those who use samples a lot need this type of reverb. Also good for drums etc. Plate emulations, Hall room emulations are in demand here.

-acoustic Music production adding 'spaciousness, size and depth' to recordings that already contain recorded room sound.
This is the strength of the 'bigger than life' reverbs with strong random delays.
Lexicon is particularly strong in this field and nothing I heard so far comes close.

Whoever states his preferences for this or that reverb should IMO give his main application for reverb. There is no universal reverb, it depends on the application.

that's my 2ct
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Pastor Obviedo
What is the best sounding model of all EMT models?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➡️
Let's try to get some systematic order in these useless reverb battles:

I have three major categories where totally different reverbs and algorithms can each give good results:

-Postproduction:
Here is the realm of the "realistic" reverb. Sometimes convolution can sound very colored. That is no problem or even desirable in postpro to create unique rooms around dry recorded voice. TC is strong here with it's realistic VSS3/4 ER modeling. Convolution can be great.

-Music production adding room to dry signals:
This is something the Bricasti is often cited as being strong at. Like adding real room mics of a great room to a dry signal. But also many like Lexicon, TC and Qantec here. Those recording in their bedrooms and those who use samples a lot need this type of reverb. Also good for drums etc. Plate emulations, Hall room emulations are in demand here.

-acoustic Music production adding 'spaciousness, size and depth' to recordings that already contain recorded room sound.
This is the strength of the 'bigger than life' reverbs with strong random delays.
Lexicon is particularly strong in this field and nothing I heard so far comes close.

Whoever states his preferences for this or that reverb should IMO give his main application for reverb. There is no universal reverb, it depends on the application.

that's my 2ct

Yeah that is what I am saying. If environments are in strict order, like post production, rather than emotion and ensemble of a song then convolution is great. I like the more musical verb.
Again because of what I do.

"What is the best sounding model of all EMT models?"
Not trying to be a snob here but we should stick to the original poster's question. If you would like to know about a manufacturer's reverb selection, it should probably be another thread. It will bring more answers for you.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➡️

that's my 2ct
and just to make sure things keep on track, once again that's my question right there:

for "acoustic Music production adding 'spaciousness, size and depth' to recordings that already contain recorded room sound".... if i have to stay in the realm of plugins, what's the best replacement for your various lexicon boxes, or lexiverb? whether or not it comes close to the undeniable wonderfulness of an actual lexicon box, i still need the best possible tdm solution for this.

after hearing everyone's opinions, and considering my budget, i'm leaning towards a combination of some well made impulse sets of a few lexicon boxes, plugged into ir-L, which i will already have via the diamond bundle (after lots of online research i suspect ir-1 and altiverb are pretty comparable as far as sound quality and quality of impulses, so why spend $650 on duplicatiing that?) , and 1 nice algorythmic plug-in, probably breverb rather than eventide based on recomendations here as well as price (ie. so i can still afford those three $100 impulse sets from studiodevices)

what do you think? i've still got about 1 week to decide for sure!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
and just to make sure things keep on track, once again that's my question right there:

for "acoustic Music production adding 'spaciousness, size and depth' to recordings that already contain recorded room sound".... if i have to stay in the realm of plugins, what's the best replacement for your various lexicon boxes, or lexiverb? whether or not it comes close to the undeniable wonderfulness of an actual lexicon box, i still need the best possible tdm solution for this.

after hearing everyone's opinions, and considering my budget, i'm leaning towards a combination of some well made impulse sets of a few lexicon boxes, plugged into ir-L, which i will already have via the diamonds bundle (after lots of online research i suspect ir-1 and altiverb are pretty comparable as far as sound quality and quality of impulses, so why spend $650 on duplicatiing that?) , and 1 nice algorythmic plug-in, probably breverb rather than eventide based on recomendations here as well as price (ie. so i can still afford those $100 impulse sets from studiodevices)

I missed the TDM part if you stated sorry. The CSR will do RTAS but not TDM. I am pretty sure. If RTAS would work ( I am a Logic User so I am not sure) then I still suggest you try a demo of the CSR.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Do plug ins belong in high end?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➡️
Do plug ins belong in high end?
quite possibly not, but i'm definitely happy to hear the high-end crowd's opinions on the matter - i get the impression many of you own both the lexicon boxes and various plugins that claim/attempt to replicate them, and can therefore give me good information on the subject

although tbh i was originally thinking "high end plugins" when i posted - is there really no such thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo ➡️
I missed the TDM part if you stated sorry. The CSR will do RTAS but not TDM. I am pretty sure. If RTAS would work ( I am a Logic User so I am not sure) then I still suggest you try a demo of the CSR.
rtas isn't ideal but they will def work on any protools system... ok, i promise to demo csr next to breverb before i make this purchase!
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo ➡️
"What is the best sounding model of all EMT models?"
Not trying to be a snob here but we should stick to the original poster's question. If you would like to know about a manufacturer's reverb selection, it should probably be another thread. It will bring more answers for you.
I asked because there are people here talking about EMTs too.

You are so kind!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You didn't like it?
I liked the Bricasti--very interesting unit. But I was just saying that in spite of its wonderful qualities it is not the new standard.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

after hearing everyone's opinions, and considering my budget, i'm leaning towards a combination of some well made impulse sets of a few lexicon boxes, plugged into ir-L, which i will already have via the diamond bundle (after lots of online research i suspect ir-1 and altiverb are pretty comparable as far as sound quality and quality of impulses, so why spend $650 on duplicatiing that?) , and 1 nice algorythmic plug-in, probably breverb rather than eventide based on recomendations here as well as price (ie. so i can still afford those three $100 impulse sets from studiodevices)

Some time ago I read a most interesting thread somewhere around here about someone using a convolution plug-in (i.e. IR-1, Altiverb) and a random delay plug-in (?) immediately afterwards in the aux channel to achieve that enveloping random delay sound.

I never tried that myself but it might be a workable compromise for the budget limited.
But it is not "ONE really nice, lush, highend reverb".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this is the gotham audio swiss guy dfegaddfegad

you might spend your money better on another place or do a personal picup or you might end up getting nothing beside lawer costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES ➡️
The World best reverb you can GET 4 K new in Euros.

After I heard it I asked my self is it natural reverb or algorithmic.

It is algorithmic but the difference to lexicon and briscati etc. everything comes out of one written code.

Everybody is talking about Briscati and Lexicon I do not understand it because they loose against this one.

When you switch it off your mouth is going to stand open for about 60 seconds.

Quantec Yardstick 2492 Reverb unit but no Lexicon bei eBay.de: Effektgeräte (endet 13.02.09 11:49:50 MEZ)
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
TC VSS3, DVR2, NONLin2, Classic Verb - what more do you need

i have these and they're awesome! better than any other native verb that i've used
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i have used the R4000 for a year or two, along with ReVibe. got a Bricasti last week and i am having a hard time listening to the others now...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 ➡️
cat herding. there is no standard. "standard" is a meaningless term.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
What else can be said?
What is this a pholosophy conference? Wurdz is wurdz. I said "seems to be." Read other threads here.
Some people.
Anyway thanks for the laugh. Bwaaahahahahahahahahaha.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
TDM plug and 1000$ budget?
For me you should buy TC VSS3 and TC DVR2.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo ➡️
What is the best sounding model of all EMT models?
I've been using the TC Electronic DVR2 in hardware form (Reverb4000) for several years now and I've always loved that one the best. The UAD Plate is a model of a different EMT, a real plate in fact... and it also sounds great! But the EMT250 digital unit is a classic, and that is what the designers of the DVR2 algorithm were recreating. DVR2 is only in the System6000 and Reverb4000 hardware, and available as a plug-in for the PowerCore and ProTools TDM systems.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What else can be said?
What is this a pholosophy conference? Wurdz is wurdz. I said "seems to be." Read other threads here.
Some people.
You said it seems to be the new standard. I'm saying it's not. (In fact, I do agree with you that sometimes it does seem like the new standard)

No offense meant, slopeforehead.

-R
Quote:
What else can be said?
Some people.
this is the response i hope to get from all of my gearslutz posts.... i've finally found a kindred spirit
📝 Reply