ONE really nice, lush, highend reverb
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS ➡️
the Bricasti is the hot new reverb...but way above budget...and not a plug-in

Howabout TC's VSS3 ??
Yeah I have had a lot of good use with that one...its nice, kinda dense!
I need to probably update my Powercore to a new one sometime tho...thats the problem when a reverb is tied to hardware!
Astro
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I saw Lexicon M300 (non LARC) for around 1000.
Lot of great reverbs at price and top Lex sound. I can't imagine anything in this price region close to that.
Later add TC plug-ins and you covered many bases.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
I saw Lexicon M300 (non LARC) for around 1000.
Lot of great reverbs at price and top Lex sound. I can't imagine anything in this price region close to that.
Later add TC plug-ins and you covered many bases.
Wow!! Thats pretty good...those usually retail for about $3,500 or there abouts.
I'm gonna keep an eye out for one of those.
Astro
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
From the STUDIODEVICES you can buy 96khz high quality impulse-responses library from the Bricasti M7 (BREE CASEDY) and from new lexicon reverbs for 80 EUR.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromann ➡️
Yeah I have had a lot of good use with that one...its nice, kinda dense!
I need to probably update my Powercore to a new one sometime tho...thats the problem when a reverb is tied to hardware!
Astro
I takes a big man to face the world with a pink telecaster.thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpress ➡️
From the STUDIODEVICES you can buy 96khz high quality impulse-responses library from the Bricasti M7 (BREE CASEDY) and from new lexicon reverbs for 80 EUR.
Impulse just aren't the same, it's like having sex with a rubber-doll (not speaking from experience, i swear). A real Lex just has a magic to it that the impulse miss.

With that said, the impulses are still better than every non-convolution plugin I've ever tried.
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Princeton Plate rev is amazing. For Real Space Emulation, Bricasti M7.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon ➡️
Impulse just aren't the same, it's like having sex with a rubber-doll (not speaking from experience, i swear). A real Lex just has a magic to it that the impulse miss.

With that said, the impulses are still better than every non-convolution plugin I've ever tried.
Agreed here. There's a certain random, real-time thing that happens with hardware reverbs that convolution can't always reproduce. On the other hand, convolution is killer for emulating real spaces—particularly oddball locations needed for post production, which can be a nightmare to program from scratch.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
wow, no replies at all for the first day, then all this! ok guys, i know i stepped into the high end forum, so maybe it's my own damn fault but:

my budgets $800-$1000! i know it's the high end forum, but i figured that's more or less the top price one would pay for a single, top of the line reverb tdm plugin. if i'm barking up the wrong tree i'd be happy to repost this question in "music computers" or something...

but since i got your attention and everything already heh sorry but the bricasti is out, it's totally out of my budget, and also it's a box. i didn't mention that i live in bali, indonesia, where it's hard to source high end equipment like that, expensive and risky to import it, and the heat and humidity screws with gears innards so outboard gear has a fairly short lifespan. therefore plugins are what i need. sorry if i didn't make that clear!

so, i'm still looking for a tdm (or possibly rtas) plugin that has a big pretty hall sound that will make synth stabs sound like they're being played in the canyon of infinite lushness. or something. (other good verbs besides the big halls would also be nice of course, especially good ones for vox, as long as that big hall sound is there and sounds really top shelf)

qpress, i did in fact think about upgrading ir-l to ir1 or maybe just getting altiverb and using some nice impulses from high end gear, like they sell on STUDIODEVICES website. do you think they would they sound as nice as a top-notch non-convo (algorythmic?) verb? also, if i already have ir-l (like ir-1 but with less tweakable parameters and no surround sound) is it worth shelling out to upgrade to ir1, or altiverb, or would i be better off getting a nice non-convo plugin? might taking my $800 and investing in lots of great impulses be the best way to go here?

and one more question: if i don't got the convo route, given what sound i'm looking for, which would give me the closest to what need (big, lush, etc): the eventide 2016, eventide reverb (based on the h8000 iirc) or the tc vss3? can anyone give me an idea what the difference between these three might be?

thanks for all your help guys!
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahwannabe ➡️

thanks for all your help guys!
Suggestion:

Don't waste $800-$1000 on something that's good but isn't exactly what you need. Work hard, take your time and save your money until you can buy something that's really worth it. Gear isn't all of a sudden going to disappear overnite because you will have to wait a couple of months. On the contrary with the bad economy you will see even more deals out there in the coming weeks.

If you want a good hall than save your dough and buy a high end Lexicon like the PCM 96. Used these days its between $15000-$2K. The older worth while units like the 480L are way out of your price range plus there aren't parts out there to keep them alive anymore. Everything else out there doesn't do halls like the high end Lexicons. They can do short & long rooms well. Some have usable plates. Some do well at weird spaces. Lush halls is a Lexicon forte and its what they built their name on.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
lately in rap productions i'm hearing lots of big verbs on synths and vox, plus i miss my old lexiverb from years back and want something similar. i've got waves platinum and i'm about to upgrade to diamond, which means i'll have IR-lite, R-verb, real verb, and whatever else comes with diamond these days.

i feel like the above (especially IR-L) will cover most of my various needs for reverbs, which i usually use sparingly and bury in the mix anyway.... but i need one nice, big, top-dollar sounding hall/church kinda deal to make things sound lush and pretty when applicable (also i could see using something like that way back in the mix for vox as well...)

anyway i don't have the budget for a variety of high end plug-ins so i need to get just one, and my budget is around $800 (though i could come up some, i guess, if i had to)

i was looking at eventide's "eventide reverb" (catchy name huh? lol) isn't that sorta brian eno's go-to verb, plastered all over joshua tree, etc? is there something else i should be considering?

i'm running protools HD|2, but i considered getting an rtas version to save money if what i decide i really want costs over $800-1000 for tdm.
PCM 90's are relatively cheap these days. PCM****'s are a bit more. I got mine for $1k.

Sony V77's can do lush.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by animix ➡️

Sony V77's can do lush.
Not like a 480L.

The small hall is great & very usable on DPS-V77 but you can really hear the difference between a 480L and a DPS-V77 in the large hall presets.

The DPS-V77 also does a great Goldfoil plate plus all of the cool modulation and delay effects.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanke ➡️
Just echoing the Altiverb recommendations. It's a good price, sounds great and offers a lot of flexibility!
+1
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Suggestion:

Don't waste $800-$1000 on something that's good but isn't exactly what you need. Work hard, take your time and save your money until you can buy something that's really worth it.
point taken, but this 800-1000 already represents my working hard and saving money till i can buy what i need

also i've got a big national release coming up very soon so i just need to buy the best i can afford right away. anyway, once again given i really absolutely DONT want outboard gear (see above) i think $1000 is more or less as much as i could spend on a single reverb plug in anyway.

if this release shoots to the top of the charts and i make some decent money, i'll be looking into that bricasti! (along with building a studio with excellent ac and dehumidifier systems to put it in
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Altiverb

/done
Quote:
point taken, but this 800-1000 already represents my working hard and saving money till i can buy what i need

also i've got a big national release coming up very soon so i just need to buy the best i can afford right away. anyway, once again given i really absolutely DONT want outboard gear (see above) i think $1000 is more or less as much as i could spend on a single reverb plug in anyway.

if this release shoots to the top of the charts and i make some decent money, i'll be looking into that bricasti! (along with building a studio with excellent ac and dehumidifier systems to put it in
if you need a reverb for one specific project, rent one...

i'm with Thrill... get the one you REALLY want, not a stopgap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does anyone else fine it just plain silly that in this day and age we can't get a reverb plug that sounds as good as hardware from 10 years ago?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Don't get a reverb now with the hope of you might be able to afford a better one later?

tutt
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder ➡️
I takes a big man to face the world with a pink telecaster.thumbsup
Ha ha Yeah...know what you mean!!
Its shell pink actually...vintage Fender Color...but probably more suited to a vegas show than anything else.
Gotta change that signature!!
Cheers
Astro
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
not like a 480l.

The small hall is great & very usable on dps-v77 but you can really hear the difference between a 480l and a dps-v77 in the large hall presets.

The dps-v77 also does a great goldfoil plate plus all of the cool modulation and delay effects.
480l=$4000.00 +-
v77- $400.00 +-
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 ➡️
i'm with Thrill... get the one you REALLY want, not a stopgap.
ha, i really should have seen this coming! i think needed to say TDM in the thread title, you guys are getting the wrong idea.

what i REALLY want is a thousand dollar plugin. seriously!

renting a box for my project isn't such a bad idea, except i guarantee you there are no bricasti's or high end lexicons for rent in bali - it's a third world tourist center with an "urban" population of about 200k. you cant even BUY an HD system in jakarta (anyone who wanted one would go to singapore to get it)

Quote:
Lush halls is a Lexicon forte and its what they built their name on.
yep - i used to have lexiverb tdm but they stopped making/updating it. it's precisely what i'm trying to replace in my setup here. if price weren't an issue, what's lexicon's bestest, lushest reverb?

so wow, a lot of love here for altiverb. is it that much better than ir-1? anyway you guys are convincing me on the idea. if i got one, what impulse sets could i buy/download that would really maximize it's potential lushness?

i guess i could start with finding impulses for v77, 480l, Bricatsi M7, Lexicon pcm96, EMT 250, eventide 2016, TC M3000 and Roland R-880! but where does one find this sort of thing?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so if i got one, what impulse sets could i buy/download that would really maximize it's potential lushness?

i guess i could start with finding impulses for v77, 480l, Bricatsi M7, Lexicon pcm96, EMT 250, eventide 2016, TC M3000 and Roland R-880! but where does one find this sort of thing?
When you buy Altiverb you get access to their IR library. It's quite extensive, and they're always adding new ones. You can view the current selection here: Audio Ease Impulse Responses. I've played around with the EMT 250 IR before and thought it sounded very nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Check this out!
STUDIODEVICES, Reflections LE, Impulse Responses, Library, Faltungshall, Convolution
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One of the main reasons Altiverb gets so much love is the included Audio Ease IR library, which is top-notch. Truth is, there isn't much of a difference between one convolution host and another in terms of sound quality, but the IR's make a huge difference. Beware the freebie IR's all over the Internet. Though there are some unique and high-quality ones out there, there are also a lot of stinkers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Huge fan of the UAD Plate 140 over here.
Deleted 99dc753
The World best reverb you can GET 4 K new in Euros.

After I heard it I asked my self is it natural reverb or algorithmic.

It is algorithmic but the difference to lexicon and briscati etc. everything comes out of one written code.

Everybody is talking about Briscati and Lexicon I do not understand it because they loose against this one.

When you switch it off your mouth is going to stand open for about 60 seconds.

Quantec Yardstick 2492 Reverb unit but no Lexicon bei eBay.de: Effektgeräte (endet 13.02.09 11:49:50 MEZ)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➡️
One of the main reasons Altiverb gets so much love is the included Audio Ease IR library, which is top-notch.

ah, ok. interesting cause i cant seem to find a list of ir-1 presets anywhere on the web, even in their own manual... hmmm, you know it actually doesn't really look like the main altiverb site has *that* many high end reverb unit impulses, just the L480 and "Classic High end 1980's digital reverb" - any idea which digital reverb that samples?

EDIT: oops, i'm wrong, actually there's also AMS RMX16, EMT250 (and 140) as well. not a bad selection but it's hardly complete! still, combined with those studiodevice impulses i could get pretty far i think...

btw, i've actually never worked with a convo verb before! maybe this is a stupid question, but would an impulse from an actual cathedral or large concert hall give the same kind of sound as a hall/cathedral sound on a digital reverb unit? i always thought digital verbs sounded very nice, but nothing like the real spaces they supposedly emulate. am i off base here?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES ➡️
The World best reverb you can GET 4 K new in Euros.

After I heard it I asked my self is it natural reverb or algorithmic.

It is algorithmic but the difference to lexicon and briscati etc. everything comes out of one written code.

Everybody is talking about Briscati and Lexicon I do not understand it because they loose against this one.

When you switch it off your mouth is going to stand open for about 60 seconds.

Quantec Yardstick 2492 Reverb unit but no Lexicon bei eBay.de: Effektgeräte (endet 13.02.09 11:49:50 MEZ)
I own one of these. It is indeed a jaw dropper, but it isn't what I would call lush. I'd characterize it as "expensive sounding transparency".
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting.
Have you tried all the libraries?
Which one do you prefer?
Astro
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ah, ok. interesting cause i cant seem to find a list of ir-1 presets anywhere on the web, even in their own manual... hmmm, you know it actually doesn't really look like the main altiverb site has *that* many high end reverb unit impulses, just the L480 and "Classic High end 1980's digital reverb" - any idea which digital reverb that samples?

EDIT: oops, i'm wrong, actually there's also AMS RMX16, EMT250 (and 140) as well. not a bad selection but it's hardly complete! still, combined with those studiodevice impulses i could get pretty far i think...

btw, i've actually never worked with a convo verb before! maybe this is a stupid question, but would an impulse from an actual cathedral or large concert hall give the same kind of sound as a hall/cathedral sound on a digital reverb unit? i always thought digital verbs sounded very nice, but nothing like the real spaces they supposedly emulate. am i off base here?
I don't have Altiverb (but have used it), but my understanding from users is that there are a huge number of impulses available to Altiverb owners. I do have Speakerphone and can vouch for the quality of their impulses. Since you have Waves Platinum I'm surprised you don't already have IR-L, but when you get the Diamond upgrade and IR-1, be sure to get the complete set of Waves' IR's as well. Also very high quality. Good convolution versions of real spaces sound great. The realism achievable from algorithmic reverbs varies considerably amongst manufacturers. In general, Lexicon is known for its lush but not necessarily realistic sound, while TC is known for stunning realism but less "excitement." Other manufacturers like Yamaha, Eventide, etc., fall somewhere in the middle.
📝 Reply