New Vocal mic: Expertise and advice needed - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Vocal mic: Expertise and advice needed
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
New Vocal mic: Expertise and advice needed

Dear Slutz,

At the moment i have a Neumann TLM 49 but i do not know what it is but i find that it does not sound really nice on my voice. So i'm looking for a new vocal mic and really hope someone can help me out. since where i live there is very limited opportunities to test mics, especially certain brands like Peluso.

My budget is about max. 2500 and the style i do is R&B/Pop. I have attached 2 sound files so you guys can check out my voice in order to give me a better advice.

At the moment i am thinking about a Peluso mic but of course feel free to advice a different brand.

The question: Listening to my type of voice, which (Peluso) mic will suit me good? 2247LE? 2247SE? 251? other?

The rest of my chain is AMS-Neve 1073 -> 1176/La2a-> UA 2192

Your expertise and help would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!thumbsupthumbsup

Cheers,

Marrone

By the way: Soundfile is a raw demo heh
Attached Files

02_Nummer_2.wma (4.49 MB, 149 views)

sketch day 2.mp3 (1.00 MB, 186 views)

Old 28th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Can nobody help me?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Marrone,

for your voice and musical style, I would recommend the Peluso 22 251.
Peluso Microphone Lab

IMHO, the TLM49 and 1073 sound a bit too 'thick' on your voice.

I think the 22 251 will 'open-up' your voice a bit.
Also, an Audio Technica AT4050 can also be cool for recording Hook/Background Vocals.

Also note: an Avalon 737 may be more complimentary to your voice/style as well.
The 2192 is excellent-- I wouldn't change that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMIXIMAL ➑️
Marrone,

for your voice and musical style, I would recommend the Peluso 22 251.
Peluso Microphone Lab
I would have to agree, I think you would like the air of the 22 251 much better than the others.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your help.

Some people advised me the 2247SE/LE through a PM, and you guys advise me the 22 251? Does anyone know what the sonic differences are between these two? And do these mics in anyway have the kind of same caracteristics as the sony c800G?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrone ➑️
Thanks for your help.

Some people advised me the 2247SE/LE through a PM, and you guys advise me the 22 251? Does anyone know what the sonic differences are between these two? And do these mics in anyway have the kind of same caracteristics as the sony c800G?

The sonic differences are: the 2247 is closer to the TLM you have-- a bit 'thick'. The '47 can be excellent for Rock/Jazz, and sometimes Rap leads, depending on the voice.

R&B vocals tend to sound better through mics which emphasize 'air' instead of girth/presence. The 251 is an excellent example. It has a very 'open' sound which can sound smooth and clean for R&B.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With that chain, you could sing through an SM57 or NT1, and be just fine.

Nonetheless...
I'm totally hooked on the new Telefunken mics. I think you would like their RFT range as well, I'm having great results with the M16 MKII and will soon be adding the AK47 to my collection.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
mic

i say c800g +avalon m5 (much better pre than 737sp ) or martech mss-10 if you can find one used .
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for your help.

not in the same league if you ask me .
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212team ➑️
avalon m5 (much better pre than 737sp )
well,, different.
the m5 is solid state, Junction Field Effect Transistor (JFET). the 737 preamp is based on tubes. the m5 may be 'clearer' and 'more transparent', and some may say 'more clinical'. the 737 is certainly capable of sounding excellent IMHO.

you can easily swap the 6dj8/6922 tubes in the 737 (the stock Sovteks may not always be the best choice) to JJ Tesla, or vintage Mullards, or Telefunkens, (or my favorite for many situations, the Amperex Bugle Boys) and have several sounds to chose from.

just make sure the unit has been unplugged for several minutes before changing tubes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yes i know but at the end of day the m5 sound better .
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212team ➑️
yes i know but at the end of day the m5 sound better .

sure, depending on what better is. My personal preference for R&B is generally a 737, but m5 could be excellent as well with the right mic.

IMHO:
The TLM 49 / 1073 / La2a combo is a good signal path (especially for Rock), but may be a bit too 'thick' for R&B.

The c800/m5 would be more neutral/transparent but out of the budget range (nearly $10k). The 22 251/737 will be a bit more colored and airy and much closer to his budget.

Actually, he may be able to afford the 22 251 and m5.
That may be the best combo for him.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
U87...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys!!!

I really happy with my neve 1073 --> 1176/La2a --> UA 2192 chain it is just the microphone that seems to accentuate certain frequencies in my voice which does not sound good. So i am really looking for a mic which fits my voice and chain. Thinking about a Peluso, but which one 2247 SE, 22 251 or VTB? Any one using one of these and more or less the same chain succesfully for R&B/Pop and having sort of same voice? Long shot but you never know. Anyone?
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Have you had your 49 checked out by a good mic tech?
Maybe send it to Gunter?
Astro

🎧 15 years
The 22 251 can be cool... But, it's one of those mics that will either sound absolutely incredible or outright horrible. There's no middle ground. It works great on one artist that I work with, it requires no EQ even when stacking tons of tracks. Then I have another artist and it's the worst mic I own on him. So, it's basically the anti-U87. heh

The Sony C800G is more neutral sounding than anything else, and less bright than the 22 251... it has a nice top end, and solid lows. The peaks in the upper range avoid the sibilance areas in many artists. Peluso's VTB is as close to the C800G in his line, but it does not have the same kind of headroom as a C800G. If you are careful with your gain staging it can sound like a C800... if not, it can get harsh/ slightly distorted quickly (as some other mics will).

Best thing to do is try out some in your own studio.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your advice Tony! Appreciate it.

I read a lot of your post where you are always really positive about the Peluso 2247 LE/SE.

Regarding your experience with a lot of R&B artists does listening to my posted wav. files of some demos give you an idea if the 22 251 or 2247SE/LE would sound me better?

Marrone

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for your advice Tony! Appreciate it.

I read a lot of your post where you are always really positive about the Peluso 2247 LE/SE.

Regarding your experience with a lot of R&B artists does listening to my posted wav. files of some demos give you an idea if the 22 251 or 2247SE/LE would sound me better?

Marrone
Yes, I like the 47 LE a lot... but, with your voice, I would probably give the 251 a shot. Especially if you are going to be doing more vocal stacking, etc.

The C800G would be a great choice for your voice, too.

But, you never know for sure until you try them on your voice in your room.. I'm just making an educated guess.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks!! I will see if i can arrange a 22 251 and a 22 47LE/SE to have a session with them.thumbsup

Thanks!

Marrone
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Why are you limiting yourself to Peluso mics though? For POP and R&B why not look into a U87 (or U87 type) mic which is fairly common with pop and r&b artists. A used one should be within your budget.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Also looking into a u87. I heard that the u87 can often sound nasel, and because my voice is somewhat higher pitched that most male voices it will probably sound nasel on my voice. Also i have a Neve 1073 DPA as preamp and i read a lot about the u87 -> 1073 combo only sounding good on some voices. What do you guys say? Any u87 -> 1073 user experiences?

Cheers

Marrone
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromann ➑️
Have you had your 49 checked out by a good mic tech?
Maybe send it to Gunter?
Astro
The TLM49 cannot be modded. You have to build a whole new preamp.

The 1073 is fine. Don't change the pre.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
vocal mic choice

get ANY tusa large capsule mic; you'll love it...do NOT consider any solid state mic by any maker, and GET A MIC WITH AN OUTPUT TRANSFORMER!!!
do not change the rest of your path , the 1073 and an la2 ought to be just peachy...dont compress more than 3 db with it at the peaks....and if you have to eq more than a few dbs , you may want to consider new monitor speakers (genelecs!!)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan alexander ➑️
get ANY tusa large capsule mic; you'll love it...do NOT consider any solid state mic by any maker, and GET A MIC WITH AN OUTPUT TRANSFORMER!!!
do not change the rest of your path , the 1073 and an la2 ought to be just peachy...dont compress more than 3 db with it at the peaks....and if you have to eq more than a few dbs , you may want to consider new monitor speakers (genelecs!!)
Thanks for your reply. I already have Genelecs for years now WHat do you think about the u87 on the 1073 la2a combo?

Marrone
πŸ“ Reply