The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emi original REDD gear find
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Emi original REDD gear find

Hi everyone.

Nice to join the community here.

I found some Emi recording equipment. The next issue is what to do with it. Do I try to fix it or pass it on and if I do try to fix it who could help me carry out the work. I am hoping for suggestions from a the knowledgable folk here.

I am not yet at the point where i can truly justify keeping these especially since it would probably cost a bit to bring them up to spec. however these once gone are gone forever.

A few names have popped up in searches i have done as regards fixing these but i would like to know more before i reach a conclusion.

Is the sound truly amazing or will cheaper modern gear serve. I LOVE the sound of analog and go as far as collecting records for the recording as well as the music.

Anyway enough about me

I found the following items

REDD 43 X Stereosonic Mixer + VU Meter and vu meter amplifiers
REDD 59 Auxiliary Mixer with (8) REDD 49 solid state Line Amplifiers
L.S Amplifier type RS 141
REDD 47 Line Amplifiers (10).

I have not turned these on as i know enough about vintage stuff to know that is a bad idea. They are in fair condition externally but the internals seem to be in great shape.

Will post pictures soon.

Thanks all for sharing

pennyford
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, please do post pics!

Where are you located?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
It's hard to say what it will sound like, as line amps and stereo mixers are a different kettle of fish to a regular studio desk. Anything with EMI on it is going to spark some interest and anything vaguely connected to The Beatles will be worth something (checked the price of D19 mics recently?).
I would ask around a few vintage audio dealers like Vintage King, Sonic Circus, but tread warily. There is a chance someone will tell you the stuff is worth next to nothing, then you'll see it on their website a few weeks later for $XXX,XXX.
Truth be told, you're going to need some impartial advice from someone with experience of EMI REDD gear.
Try emailing Abbey Road Studios perhaps.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
yeah, find out who the biggest gearslut / nerd / techie at abbey road is and give them a call / email.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Wow... quite a lot of rare/ desirable stuff to be "found".... and it's your first post.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I know.
I have bought and sold records for a while.
These were found on one of those record digging expeditions.
Of course i paid for them but not that much it turns out.
i had no idea what i was buying at the time. the only thing i checked that made me buy it was that the amp had a tube in it which looked like a kt88. it turned out to be a kt66 but i thought they must at lease be worth something.

You can imagine my suprise when i discovered what it was.
i will post the pics soon as i figure out how to mark them.

pennyford
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd try to contact Wade Goeke at EMI-Chandler...

He's bound to be able to tell you something about them, etc isn't he??
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyford ➑️
Hi everyone.

Nice to join the community here.

I found some Emi recording equipment. The next issue is what to do with it. Do I try to fix it or pass it on and if I do try to fix it who could help me carry out the work. I am hoping for suggestions from a the knowledgable folk here.
I own a EMI REDD desk, send me a PM.

Cheers,

- DR
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Brian @ tgmixers.co.uk????

wiggy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have worked on them a bit and I think I have an extra copy of the manual, which is huge.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➑️
Brian @ tgmixers.co.uk????

wiggy
+1

Brian Gibson is the man- he was a tech at Abbey Road when this gear was built, and has looked after/restored several REDD and TG desks in the recent past.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Please post pics!!!

---Joe
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone got info on the REDD 47 stereosonic mixer?
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oliver Archut @
Vintage Audio Equipment for the Modern Studio

he knows a lot!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
With the find shouldn't you have choses PennyLane as your screen name?
Old 2nd February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
here are some pics.
hope i did it right
Attached Thumbnails
Emi original REDD gear find-dsc_0073x.jpg   Emi original REDD gear find-dsc_0067x.jpg   Emi original REDD gear find-dsc_0079x.jpg   Emi original REDD gear find-dsc_0062x.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
And another.
thanks for your patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Emi original REDD gear find-dsc_0075x.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Excellent find!! You certainly did well - the REDD43 and 43X mixers float around, but are still unusual. Most of these smaller systems were for remote work, and often were the whole basis for smaller foreign EMI studios around the world.

This system looks to be in pretty bad shape - some rust and decay here and there. Doesn't mean it's not good (EMI built their gear very well) but it may take a lot of work to restore.

Brian Gibson is excellent and will not steer you wrong in any way. Trust him implicitly - he isn't out to "make a buck" or even over-hype the gear. He likes the old stuff for its own sake and has restored similar gear before. It would be great to know about serial numbers from these, if you have a minute; that helps determine their age and MAYBE where they once were. We have LOTS of documents on these, and know a lot about Abbey Road history... we put it in a book, even!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The REDD43 was the solid state version - what you have (43X) was almost "less cool" back then as it had tubes (valves in England), when transistor mixers were new.

The other mixer IS solid state and - while very cool and valuable too - not as attractive as the REDD43X.

The amplifier RS141 is a modified Leak amplifier, a basic amp EMI and Abbey Road (No - I'm NOT saying this is from Abbey Road!) used to use for speakers in their studios. I have two of them here and they sound great but are low power. You're also clever in even thinking you saw KT-88s, but I really do love KT-66s as one of the greatest-sounding power tubes ever. And EMI knew that!

Be sure to talk to EVERYONE before you do anything. It's worth a lot of money - who knows how much. There are no cables there - but all that is still available. I DO NOT WANT TO BUY THIS STUFF!! I have too much gear here! But get it well-explained what you have... then you can decide. Take your time! Don't fall for offers "right now"! Take a lot of photos too!!

Almost forgot - we have the Owner's Manual for some of this, but I'm not so free that I can scan and send stuff around easily. Remind me...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
That's amazing! It may be dirty and rusty, but it looks pretty well complete and I'm sure it can be restored to full working order.

Having restored the REDD51 I'd be happy to help you with advice on what you will need to do.

As BrianK says, there is a lot of documentation available for these and I'd urge you not to charge in without careful consideration of what's being done.
I've seen some bad repairs done to the REDD47 amplifiers, simply because people could not be bothered to find the most suitable replacement parts.
With a bit of sympathy, it should be possible to replace and repair everything without affecting the sound or the appearance (other than the rust and dirt that is!)

Brian Gibson.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Lovely looking stuff!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Brian
Your book was the first thing i invested in after finding these.
Amazing work as i am sure you have heard. worth every cent.
These have been with me about a year now and i am just posting it now.
Thanks for the advise from everyone so far.
Before finding these i prayed to find a fairchild compressor on my travels and these came up.
i feel extremely blessed to have these and will hopefully do the right thing by the gear.
thanks and i will keep posting my every step.
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I rarely take part in gear ******y related discussion, but that's a very nice find. Make sure it gets restored with love!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Brian i did also get the cables.
lots and lots of them.
Will talk to everyone before deciding.
Also will remind you for the documentation
Thanks so much
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats!

But one question remains: Where in the world did you find this?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Possibly in the bins at the back of a certain St. John's Wood address in London? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid ➑️
Possibly in the bins at the back of a certain St. John's Wood address in London? heh
no, impossible, this is where i got mine (just kidding)...
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid ➑️
Nah - we would have found them ourselves! But there are/were alternate storage places for EMI over the years.

Thanks for the good words for our book. It's our hope to get out and talk in person more.

You didn't find a Fairchild, but I'd rather have those things than one 660 - but I'm weird about things!
Old 3rd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bump

status quo???
πŸ“ Reply