Quantcast
Stereo Tracking Compressor? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo Tracking Compressor?
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Stereo Tracking Compressor?

I am after a hi end smooth sounding tracking compressor - for a stereo mic - im using on vocals tracking to apogee's

It will be mainly used for POP VOCALS...

at the mo - i have been looking at

UREI 1178
Neve

any other suggestions?

Cheers

Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for pop vocals the tube tech cl1b is hard to beat.

grab two of those and you're all set.
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We've been getting great results tracking vocals lately with the Avalon 747.
Works great tracking Bass as well...

You have to be careful setting it 'cause it's easy to over do it with that unit.

But the end result is great....

Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i love my 1176's

especially one this new project. nice nice nice.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
No offence, but the compressor in the Avalon is a piece of ****! It is a nice enough pre and has some useable EQ. But the comp. is not worth ****.

STA - level
LA2a

or cheaper end

LA4 (spec'd up)
Symetrix 501 (highly under rated)

Plenty to choose from though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➑️
No offence, but the compressor in the Avalon is a piece of ****! It is a nice enough pre and has some useable EQ. But the comp. is not worth ****.

STA - level
LA2a

or cheaper end

LA4 (spec'd up)
Symetrix 501 (highly under rated)

Plenty to choose from though.
No offense taken at all but you are talking about the Avalon 737(read my post again). I'm talking about something different.
I don't like to hit hard with a comp during tracking and for a subtle comp and running through the tube circuitry the 747 works great for me.

If you want a versatile stereo comp for tracking the 747 is a great option. If you want a comp with fast attack this might not be for you. I'm just not a big fan of fast attack especially during tracking. If I really, really need fast attack I reach for something else. The weekness with 747 is it can not be used in dual mono mode.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➑️

STA - level
LA2a

i don't know what i think about the LA2A it feels bright to me?

i don't like the avalon stuff either.
Dan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been digging the LA-3 these days. You just can't beat UREI. I guess the LA-2 might be even better for some applications, but I thought pop vocals were supposed to be bright. The LA-4 is a little more neutral, and can be modified to have pretty good specs.

Yeah, the Avalon is a little slow for most vocals. I've had good luck with it on melodic singers though. I'm not sure what you mean by smooth top end, but if you like the LA-2, but don't dig the color, the Manley El-Op is an alternative. Some consider it boring, but it might be up your alley.

All in all, I'm a fan of optical comps for vocals. An 1176 can make a nice alternative though.
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I use the Pendulum OCL 2 for many stereo tracking situations and love it it (i run tones through to match l/r every session),
but for pop vocals (i would not track with a stereo mic, even if i was going for a stereo effect or had 2 singers) but would highly suggest the API 2500 compressor(my go to pop vocal comp) for this and it is very usable for tracking mixing and 2 bus.
API has a classic poprock quality to anything with the right opamps,the 2500 have these parts, it is fast and defined but you can still squish and slow.
People like Lanois use API on vocals all the time.
JG
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Gate ➑️
I use the Pendulum OCL 2 for many stereo tracking situations and love it it (i run tones through to match l/r every session),
but for pop vocals (i would not track with a stereo mic, even if i was going for a stereo effect or had 2 singers) but would highly suggest the API 2500 compressor(my go to pop vocal comp) for this and it is very usable for tracking mixing and 2 bus.
API has a classic poprock quality to anything with the right opamps,the 2500 have these parts, it is fast and defined but you can still squish and slow.
People like Lanois use API on vocals all the time.
JG
Thanks i had overlooked API - we use a soundfield MKV for everything...

with vocals i record in stereo but down to a mono.... makes for a fuller sound in my experience but wanted to tame the signal on the way in a little...

PS How is the pendulum im curious to hear more about it...

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
love my TFPRO P10, you could go the P38 route as well. the most versatile compressor i've ever used.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radlid ➑️
We've been getting great results tracking vocals lately with the Avalon 747.
Works great tracking Bass as well...

You have to be careful setting it 'cause it's easy to over do it with that unit.

But the end result is great....

+1

and that air band is lovely as well
Old 27th January 2009
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie ➑️
I am after a hi end smooth sounding tracking compressor...It will be mainly used for POP VOCALS...any other suggestions?
I am very biased, but I would very much suggest the Safe Sound Audio Dynamics Toolbox. It is extremely versatile, and kills on voice tracking by exhibiting great control without messing with the original tone.

Then it doubles as a great mix down comp, among other things.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
I am very biased, but I would very much suggest the Safe Sound Audio Dynamics Toolbox. It is extremely versatile, and kills on voice tracking by exhibiting great control without messing with the original tone.

Then it doubles as a great mix down comp, among other things.

War
this is looking very tasty and worth a check - what is the price of such a box?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So thanks for your input so far

at the mo - im still between urei 1178 and now an api 2500...

however - i have never got a result with SSL channel compressors - would they do in the meantime?

Any tips on getting them just hold the vocal off peaks?

(using a duality - always avoided them for tracking vocals out of fear! lol)

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan ➑️
All in all, I'm a fan of optical comps for vocals. An 1176 can make a nice alternative though.
I love 1176's on vocals and for tracking - however until i get one here - i am left with the ssl channel comp only....an i am scared of it with tracking - i know and trust the 1176, but i never got the channel comp to sound good with vocals....
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
this is looking very tasty and worth a check - what is the price of such a box?
It's right there in the UK:

-= Safe Sound Audio =-

and you would buy direct over there.

Contact Robert, the owner (he designs and assembles these boxes) and find out.

War
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx ➑️
i don't know what i think about the LA2A it feels bright to me?
Can be. I use the LA4 when I want darker.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like optical compressors on vocals (with an EL panel, not an LED - so LA-3 or LA-2a, not LA-4). But the problem with optical compressors is they don't track together very well. I think you want to keep the center image centered for a vocal track (which actually makes me wonder why you would use a stereo mike for vocals in the first place, but that's your business). If I were determined to compress a stereo recording of a vocal performance, I would run it through an MS matrix and then compress the mid channel with an LA-3 and the side channel through, idunno, I suppose another LA-3, with stereo link. In MS, any mistracking of the linked pair will result in a widening/narrowing of the image, as opposed to it bobbing left-right. I think this would be far less annoying. Or I should say, I think the left-right bobbing would be far more annoying.

Or you could just use a super badass stereo VCA compressor with enough envelope control to emulate optical compression. Low ratio, low threshold, slowish attack, and program-dependent release.

Pardon the shamelessness.
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Pendulum OCL 2 is optical and can give you the fast transparent thing it is made to do , really the first of its kind, but it can be very "opto" and classic sounding, i do not need in my opinion a LA2a ish tracking comp, I use the OCL 2.
It can do many different the 2500 seems more like a pair of pliers and the ocl 2 is a pair of hands(but can be really quite firm).
Go for the OCL 2 it is a great price , and Greg from Pendulum is amazing, you can call him up and he is very happy to help even 2 sec quick questions.
Both comps would be tools for mastering and 2 bus duites as well.

peace
JG
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am after a hi end smooth sounding tracking compressor - for a stereo mic - im using on vocals tracking to apogee's

It will be mainly used for POP VOCALS...

at the mo - i have been looking at

UREI 1178
Neve

any other suggestions?

Cheers

Yes, vintage LA-3A pair, very smooth and natural, tracks very well in stereo. Kills the 1178 or 2500 for me in the application you mention.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
MANLEY ELOP here !

Wonderful box, excellent sounding, safe recording box.... and mix box too !!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
To add to the fray, I just picked up a minty 2nd hand Drawmer 1968ME (thanks Violindave!) and have to say it's wonderful at tracking and mixbuss...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
Yes, vintage LA-3A pair, very smooth and natural, tracks very well in stereo. Kills the 1178 or 2500 for me in the application you mention.

sounds good - also good for bringin the vocal right out the speakers at you ala 1176?

peace
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Roll Music Stereo compressor (the same guys that make the Folcrom and the Tubule) is very nice and is a great deal too. It sounds really big, and a nice in between place of soft and punchy i.e. just enough of both.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I received a Safe Sound Dynamics Toolbox a few weeks ago and have been using it on the 2bus and for tracking vocals and bass. It's my first 'expensive' compressor but I gotta say it works great. Its pretty effortless to get a solid vocal and bass in tracking. I just finished a tracking session a half hour ago and am still smiling on how good this thing worked.

I also picked up a Drawmer 1968ME but have only used it one night on a drum buss for mix down.

I put a Neve 8803 in front of the Safe Sound and got effortless great sounding vocals and bass (Portico for vocals, Summitt 2BA for bass). I ran about 6db of compression on the vocals and it was very transparent. I have no idea what the ratio was, its an uncalibrated knob (if it sounds good...)

The Safe Sound can be run dual-mono or stereo. Push a button for stereo and the only knob you need to turn on the second channel is the output gain.

My only complaint, recall is a PITA compared to working ITB. At least the 8803 has a program to capture settings.

So, add one vote for the Safe Sound as worthy of a hear. It's a shame there is no longer a dealer in the USA. (Correction: Warren @ ZenProAudio is now carying SafeSound in the USA. I bought mine 2 months go from Warren through FrontEnd, so Warren's the man).

Last edited by mmcfarlane; 28th January 2009 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Correction on USA SafeSound distributor
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
or maybe

we only need a 2-1176!?

peace
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
That's what I'm finding with the better gear, it's just easier to get better sounds tracking right from the start. I love my drawmer but it was price point, too. If I had the budget, the SafeSound would have been my first choice. But I gotta feeling I'll never regret the 1968ME.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
we only need a 2-1176!?
Historically known as an 1178.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses ➑️
Historically known as an 1178.
Not really. They are quite different, hence an 1178 is roughly $2000 and a pair of sequential 1176's D/E revs can go as high as $8000.
πŸ“ Reply