The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo Tracking Compressor?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Manley ELOP

Manley Vari-Mu

Airfield Liminator
Airfield Liminator Class A Vintage Compressors with dual switchable transformers.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is Front End Audio no longer carring safe sound???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane ➑️
I
So, add one vote for the Safe Sound as worthy of a hear. It's a shame there is no longer a dealer in the USA.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OT, but, you're tracking vox with a stereo mic? I tried this once and the subtle movement of the singer in front the mic made me seasick. You must be having better results with this technique than I did. I'd be interested to hear about it if you're into sharing.

A couple of posters mentioned the Manley ELOP. I'll chime in to suggest the Langevin solid state version. The two units are identical except the Manley has a tube amp for makeup gain while the Langevin is solid state. To my ear the Manley amp is a little bit "smokey" sounding, which some people like, but I don't. The Langevin is very clean, and doubles as a very fine limiter for bass guitar.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If your looking for a nice, smooth, stereo compressor, try the Summit Audio DCL 200.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a an 1176 and a La3a and love them both. A pair of them will work nicely. The 1176 is a bit more flexible. The one issue that I have for really modern pop/r&B/country is that they are both colored units. While colored IMO is a good thing most of the time, I used a Tube Tech CL2A recently for stereo vocals. It just kills for a nice warm sound that is very clean. Lets a great mic really shine. Unfortunately, its price is the GDP of a small country.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ok now im stuck!

i think its goin to be a UREI/UA device!

but which one?

2-LA2A?

or

2-1176?

ARGGGGHHHH!

and maybe i can get a single one for mixing of the opposite to the one i by for tracking - so i have an option for lead Vox!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
I have a an 1176 and a La3a and love them both. A pair of them will work nicely. The 1176 is a bit more flexible. The one issue that I have for really modern pop/r&B/country is that they are both colored units. While colored IMO is a good thing most of the time, I used a Tube Tech CL2A recently for stereo vocals. It just kills for a nice warm sound that is very clean. Lets a great mic really shine. Unfortunately, its price is the GDP of a small country.
i hear you!

i dont mind colored - i just want in your face but smooth...heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwailoh ➑️
OT, but, you're tracking vox with a stereo mic? I tried this once and the subtle movement of the singer in front the mic made me seasick. You must be having better results with this technique than I did. I'd be interested to hear about it if you're into sharing.
well i am using a stereo mic - but buss-ing it to mono!(so no seasickness here!lol) i find it gives me a solid rounded sound, esp with the soundfield MKV - also the beauty of this mic is that it is quite flat response - so you can put any singer on it and it works! hence makes for fast working with vocal groups...

peace
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses ➑️
I really like optical compressors on vocals (with an EL panel, not an LED - so LA-3 or LA-2a, not LA-4).

The La 4 gets a way bad rap. I own 3, and granted 2 of them are ****. But I have 1 that is unbelievable. I am yet to get them all to a tech to work out what is done in the good one and get it done to all 3. Listen to this one and you may change your mind.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's not that I think the LA4 or LED-based optos in general are crap, it's just that the LED has a different response characteristic than an electroluminescent panel. It's useful for stuff, I just think the EL-based optos are magically delicious on vocals.

A few years ago, Electroharmonix made an optical compressor that had a switch to choose between an EL panel, and LED, and an incandescent bulb. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. I never got to use one, but I heard good things about it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
an EL7 Fatso?
love mine, can do lots of differents comp and can be coloured or not...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie ➑️
i think its goin to be a UREI/UA device!

but which one?

2-LA2A?

or

2-1176?

ARGGGGHHHH!

and maybe i can get a single one for mixing of the opposite to the one i by for tracking - so i have an option for lead Vox!
Dont discount the LA-3A, I would place it right in the middle of the two you have mentioned.

In fact, I have a vintage sequential pair of LA-3A for sale heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
It is extremely versatile, and kills on voice tracking by exhibiting great control without messing with the original tone.
THis is also the way I'd describe the FMR RNC!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm looking at the 2-1176... Just wondering whether there is any difference between this stereo unit and 2 x the original 1176??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle ➑️
I'm looking at the 2-1176... Just wondering whether there is any difference between this stereo unit and 2 x the original 1176??
Certainly is..2-1176 track and match far better than the original vintage units. Vintage 1176's never tracked well at all in stereo even from brand new. I have a fully calibrated, sequential, matched pair of vintage E revision 1176's with the stereo box. I tried them once in stereo...pretty useless actually.

The modern 2-1176 is far better technically but them i'm not keen on the sound of that unit.

So it's a lose-lose situation for me.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➑️
Is Front End Audio no longer carring safe sound???
Lets don't take this off topic, but to answer your question I have started a new business and will be selling Safe Sound Audio in North America as usual.

War
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
2-1176, even better if you have two old ln's that are calibrated
or
Avalon 2044 (totally different from 747 or 737 comps, which both suck)
or
Fatso, if you want color

my advice is NOT to engage stereo-link, as it sometimes collapses the width.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx00 ➑️

my advice is NOT to engage stereo-link, as it sometimes collapses the width.
i hear that - so maybe an 1178/or 2x1176LN for tracking?

and an la3a/la2a or 1176AE edition for mix compression?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's not that I think the LA4 or LED-based optos in general are crap, it's just that the LED has a different response characteristic than an electroluminescent panel. It's useful for stuff, I just think the EL-based optos are magically delicious on vocals.

A few years ago, Electroharmonix made an optical compressor that had a switch to choose between an EL panel, and LED, and an incandescent bulb. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. I never got to use one, but I heard good things about it.
I think you may be mistaken. The opto cells in my LA4's do not look like any LED I have ever seen and the service manuals I dug up call them an electroluninescent cell. tutt

That Electroharmonix design sounds like a cool idea. Shadow Hills will probably add it to the plethora of transformer switches. heh
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➑️
I think you may be mistaken. The opto cells in my LA4's do not look like any LED I have ever seen and the service manuals I dug up call them an electroluninescent cell. tutt
No, the LA-4 uses an LED-based optocoupler. It's an integrated unit that has the LED and the LDR (light-dependent resistor) in one package together. An Electroluminescent Panel is basically an indiglo nightlight. It's big and flat and has to be encased inside of something along with the LDR. Also, the EL needs to be driven by ~120V AC. The LA-2A used a small tube power amp to do this, while the LA-3 used a solid state amp driving a step-up transformer. In both cases, the EL panel is fed a very high-amplitude (but low-current) version of the audio signal. The LA-4's LED-based optocoupler is driven by a low-voltage DC control voltage derived from rectifying the audio signal. Trust me, if the LA-4 had an EL panel inside, it would be obvious.
For the LA-4 manual to call an LED-based opto an "electroluminescent cell" isn't literally inaccurate, since the LED does derive its luminance from electricity. But it isn't what the (lumination) industry refers to as an electroluminescent device. An EL panel is like a big flat phosphorescent capacitor, while an LED is a light-emitting diode. They're electrically very different, and the circuits that utilize them are very different as well.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for clearing that up. Whatever it is, it is housed in a little steel cylinder.
All I do know is that out of my 3 LA4's, 1 sounds amazing and the other 2 are ****house.
Not really sure why though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
All I do know is that out of my 3 LA4's, 1 sounds amazing and the other 2 are ****house.
Not really sure why though.
Maybe this guy can help you figure it out. Tell him I sent you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie ➑️
well i am using a stereo mic - but buss-ing it to mono!(so no seasickness here!lol) i find it gives me a solid rounded sound, esp with the soundfield MKV - also the beauty of this mic is that it is quite flat response - so you can put any singer on it and it works! hence makes for fast working with vocal groups...

peace
Interesting! Thanks!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Maybe this guy can help you figure it out. Tell him I sent you.
Thanks for that. I am in Australia though. I have a good tech and I have contacted him already, but thanks again.

BTW, my tech told me that the LA4 uses the same opto cell as the later LA2a, however it is illuminated by an LED. I need to learn more about this stuff. Why it does it's thing, not just how to use it.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
my tech told me that the LA4 uses the same opto cell as the later LA2a, however it is illuminated by an LED.
you were lied to..new tech time.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for that. I am in Australia though. I have a good tech and I have contacted him already, but thanks again.

BTW, my tech told me that the LA4 uses the same opto cell as the later LA2a, however it is illuminated by an LED. I need to learn more about this stuff. Why it does it's thing, not just how to use it.
Even if you don't want to ship you LA4 to Minnesota, you'll get a lot out of reading Eddie Ciletti's articles on his website about compressors, how they work, and specifically how to improve the LA4. And the little adapter boards he sells for upgrading the op amps in your unit don't cost much to ship across the globe. I'd encourage you to explore the site more, especially since you want to "learn more about this stuff."

Good luck!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I track vocals all the time with a Cranesong STC-8. I prefer it to an La2a. In fact, IMO this compressor is great for tracking most anything, plus come mix time, you've got something nice for the 2 buss.

-R
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You could try the ADL 1500 with the stereo link.
For vari-mu, this 2-ch tube comp is really lovely for small amounts of compression and stereo imaging.
2-1176 is another key.

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 for the STC8 .... some think it bland and it kind of is but it is a gorgeous transparent A class compressor that tracks everything well and some things brilliantly and then it can do what it was designed to do .... high class mix buss/mastering duties .... (with it's sister IBIS in tow) .... good price

A pair of trakkers .... very, very versatile .... getting exxy .... still good for mix buss ....

My favorite .... A pair of RETRO 176's, latched .... great for tracking vocals and everything else and pretty scarry on mix buss .... very exxy .... but so sexy ....

A pair of CL1B's .... unbeatable .... very exxy

The OCL2 is also not to be frowned at .... a very lovely opto with a good versatile range of attitudes .... very good price

What about the Buzz Audio SOC 1 .... the DAkING FET .... or GEOFF Tanners comp .... never heard these but by all reports they sound great .... excellent price

On the cheaper side would be the PORTICO .... very nice .... very cheap

I also have an API 2500 .... unbelievable attitude .... awesome on drums, bass and guitar .... never really liked it on vocals but if the big boys do vocals thru it then I might have to give it a go .... good price

Stereo Vocals ?????????

Michael V

Tassie
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No offence, but the compressor in the Avalon is a piece of ****! It is a nice enough pre and has some useable EQ. But the comp. is not worth ****.

STA - level
LA2a

or cheaper end

LA4 (spec'd up)
Symetrix 501 (highly under rated)

Plenty to choose from though.
LA4's are not on the cheaper side anymore... Check out ebay. Good old days.
I like the compressor on 737 it's quite slow and mellow. Has a beautiful vibe. It's its pre that I am not crazy about.
πŸ“ Reply