Quantcast
API and Pacifica - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API and Pacifica
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
API and Pacifica

If you were in my position would you get 2 api's 512c or 1 pacifica and 1 api? I do mostly acoustic rock type music and my gear list is as follows: 2 great rivers and an avalon 737 sp along with 4 preamps in my 002 which have been modded by black lion audio. My mic collection is 1 u87ai, pearlman tm1, josephson c42, sm57s, sm7, d112 and a couple others. I think having the pacifica will be great with my preamps for vocals and guitars and such but what I was initially thinking is having 2 great rivers and 2 apis for my drums. I would be able to alternate my overheads with the great rivers and the api's because I would have two channels of each. If I get a pacifica I am worried that I will only be able to use my greatriver pres as overheads and will limit my drum sounds. I have never used an api pre or a pacifica which is why your help would be very usefull.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Honestly these questons absolutely STUMP me...

Either you NEED stereo or you do not. If you do not, get one of each. If you do, get 2 channels of one.

Its not a question of which preamp, its a question of WHY are you buying it...

By the way, if you have never heard either then you wont have a clue what you are missing whether it matters or not.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumXK ➑️
If you were in my position would you get 2 api's 512c or 1 pacifica and 1 api? I do mostly acoustic rock type music and my gear list is as follows: 2 great rivers and an avalon 737 sp along with 4 preamps in my 002 which have been modded by black lion audio. My mic collection is 1 u87ai, pearlman tm1, josephson c42, sm57s, sm7, d112 and a couple others. I think having the pacifica will be great with my preamps for vocals and guitars and such but what I was initially thinking is having 2 great rivers and 2 apis for my drums. I would be able to alternate my overheads with the great rivers and the api's because I would have two channels of each. If I get a pacifica I am worried that I will only be able to use my greatriver pres as overheads and will limit my drum sounds. I have never used an api pre or a pacifica which is why your help would be very usefull.
Pacifica and 512 are great stuff just like your GR, I would trash the 737 and never use the preamps in the 002 mod or no mod, they can never step up and deliver what you have.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold ➑️

Either you NEED stereo or you do not. If you do not, get one of each. If you do, get 2 channels of one.

By the way, if you have never heard either then you wont have a clue what you are missing whether it matters or not.
I totally agree!

Hey whitepapagold, you have the best avatar. That picture is sweet, I'd love to see a bigger size of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What makes you think you can't use the Pacifica as overheads? I dig Pacificas in that capacity. Either case, I'd have more use for 2 channels of one than one channel of one and one of the other (if you happen to be talking about the 500 series P-1 which it seems like), but that's just me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its funny how the there is so much hate for the avalon 737 on gearsluts.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

From my understanding your saying get one of each, If I "needed" a stereo pair than I really wouldn't have posted the question I would of just gotten two api's. I am sorry the question bothered you but It would be foolish of me not ask on such a great forum since there are many people that have these pres and are very helpfull when it comes to gear.

I got the 737 used and honestly i really like it. If it was just a pre with no comp and no eq I would agree that it is a waste of money. You are right, the 002 pres do not compare to the others but when I need those extra inputs they do the job.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Jesus christ relax. The man's just curious on our opinions before making, what most of us would regard, as an expensive purchase.

I'd say get 2 Api's, as it seems you already liked/had your mind set on them, from before, and that way you got both mono AND stereo whenever you would happen to need it. Ive heard nothing but good things about the 512c's.

Anyways, from what I've heard, the 500 series Pacifica sounds 'nothing' like the 1 rack unit Pacifica. I however, would not have a clue.

Hope that helped,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
API is the way I would go if I had to do it all over again. I had both the pacifica and api 512c. Lets say my 512c pair is still here being used often.

stike

🎧 15 years
I would go for the 2 x 512's.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
MagnumXK Please don't rule out the MA5 or Elixir for your acoustic rock vibe, these pres stand just as tall as the 512/P-1 and the GR by all means, you cannot go down the wrong road with any of these.

since the word Pacifica is in use, has anyone heard from PEEDER? is he on a long vacation ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz ➑️
Its funny how the there is so much hate for the avalon 737 on gearsluts.
I think is a very sweet pre. And I loved it in bass. Maybe, just as me, some people prefer attitude over sweetness. I sold mine and got a 3124+. I couldn't be happier.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasteh ➑️

Anyways, from what I've heard, the 500 series Pacifica sounds 'nothing' like the 1 rack unit Pacifica. I however, would not have a clue.

Hope that helped,
Inaccurate hearsay-nice. Evidently, there is a segment of the population incapable of calling the P1 a P1. Fascinating.
Ignore your inner slut voice and stay with the stereo pair.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➑️
I think is a very sweet pre. And I loved it in bass. Maybe, just as me, some people prefer attitude over sweetness. I sold mine and got a 3124+. I couldn't be happier.
Yes and attitude can fill up a mix, sweetness cannot.
My biggest issues with the 737s was noisy eq and not sitting in the mix good. ok, ok, not a Avalon bashing just the VT series.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
since the word Pacifica is in use, has anyone heard from PEEDER? is he on a long vacation ?
A self imposed vacation from the forum.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
A self imposed vacation from the forum.
I just found the thread and posted...thanks

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I just found the thread and posted...thanks
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes and attitude can fill up a mix, sweetness cannot.
My biggest issues with the 737s was noisy eq and not sitting in the mix good. ok, ok, not a Avalon bashing just the VT series.
Rot and Rubbish, old bean. With an e906 in front of your Marshall cab, the 737sp can dial up plenty of attitude for distorted guitar; with a good SDC--an attitudinous sparkle on acoustic guitar. Double the guitar, and any metal mix or acoustic is fully full. I do it all the time. A matter of taste, nothing else. (Except patient tweaking of the eq.) Swapped my tubes, and the noise is gone.

That said, the OP should go for the api. It pairs better with more mics than the P-1, IMO (I've used dozens on both). Forward and fast and rich in mids, api preamps rock. You won't be sorry, dude. The api's will be your favorite pres.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW, I sold my API512C pair and am rockin' the Avedis MA5 modules - I get a heh on my face whenever I hear my tracks back now.

While I absolutely love API's EQs and Comps, I don't care for the 512 modules in the digital doman - they're just too 'honky' sounding - I mean that in a 'frequency' term, not a 'racial' one I can see how they would rock if I was going to tape though..

Buy a pair of both from a dealer that will let you try em out and return the ones you don't want - it's that simple.

I'm off to play my Tele, you slutz never stop
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW....the API 3124+ is a great deal for 4 preamps and not much more than a pair of stereo Pacificas. (BTW...I love the Pacificas for vocals)

This combined with your Great Rivers will absolutely kill for a drum front end. Now you have 6 high quality channels and you can use the Avalon for a room mic or something minor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wouldn't buy either one of them without hearing them first. And the last thing I would do would be to base my purchasing decision on the popular vote of other engineers. You can rely on user opinion and conventional wisdom to confirm they're both good solid preamps that will do the job. Whether they have the subtle tonal nuance you're looking for should have nothing to do with whether anybody else is looking for that same nuance. Unless your goal is to make records that sound like somebody else's. If that's the case, you'll do better as a record purchaser than a record producer.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Already some good advice and recommendations for cautiousness in this thread.

I will have to add, though, that if you plan for adding some drum pres to your setup: 002/GR/Avalon, I think you really ought to consider "Fadersmakemehappy"'s suggestion about getting a (used) API 3124+, especially if you don't already have a lunchbox. The 3124 is just about the perfect "bang-for-buck" solution for your needs and setup.

But don't forget converters and room treatment as well, those 002 converters wont really allow you to hear what these high end pres can accomplish.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
FWIW....the API 3124+ is a great deal for 4 preamps and not much more than a pair of stereo Pacificas. (BTW...I love the Pacificas for vocals)

Ditto my friend , I feel the same way except I use the 512c, I like them better over the 3124+, Pacifica is killer on vocals, I have always said that. As far as Saxon's post
again why can't Avalon and ADL put better tubes to begin with if they are that much better, looks like to me they would want the best from their products instead of issues. They don't leave out any goodies in the AD stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses ➑️
I wouldn't buy either one of them without hearing them first. And the last thing I would do would be to base my purchasing decision on the popular vote of other engineers. You can rely on user opinion and conventional wisdom to confirm they're both good solid preamps that will do the job. Whether they have the subtle tonal nuance you're looking for should have nothing to do with whether anybody else is looking for that same nuance. Unless your goal is to make records that sound like somebody else's. If that's the case, you'll do better as a record purchaser than a record producer.
I respect your opinion. But no one can learn anything by himself and with no guidance. No one is 100% original in anything, and no one could come with an idea without previous knowledge gathered from other people. That's why the exercise this thread is doing is so important for many. Guidance, that's it. The rest of the way, you can do it on your own. Then you can be original, then you can decide by yourself, then you can produce. Everyone begin imitating someone else. That is unquestionable.

A good example is me. Where I live, there are no pro audio stores of ANY kind. I'm literally in a small island making music. Shouldn't be for this kind of threads, and if my knowledge should be limited by what I have at hand, it would be very difficult for me.

By the way, I think you need to purchase (and listen) a lot of records to stay alive in this business.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd either get one of each or a pair of P-1s. This is coming from a life-long API 512 user. I just sold a 512 to make room for a P-1 in my 2-space. So at the moment I have one of each, because I just can't seem to let go of my old standby 512 -- really more for sentimental reasons than anything. Since I still have a 3124, I see myself selling the other 512 and getting another P-1 to make a pair. The P-1 sounds like an API, only bigger and more open. For acoustic and vocals it's perfect.

I blogged about this a couple weeks ago: Drewcifer's Blog
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer ➑️
Inaccurate hearsay-nice. Evidently, there is a segment of the population incapable of calling the P1 a P1. Fascinating.
Ignore your inner slut voice and stay with the stereo pair.
You sound like a smartass. Whatever they are CALLED, I think he took the hint.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➑️
I respect your opinion. But no one can learn anything by himself and with no guidance. No one is 100% original in anything, and no one could come with an idea without previous knowledge gathered from other people. That's why the exercise this thread is doing is so important for many. Guidance, that's it. The rest of the way, you can do it on your own. Then you can be original, then you can decide by yourself, then you can produce. Everyone begin imitating someone else. That is unquestionable.

A good example is me. Where I live, there are no pro audio stores of ANY kind. I'm literally in a small island making music. Shouldn't be for this kind of threads, and if my knowledge should be limited by what I have at hand, it would be very difficult for me.

By the way, I think you need to purchase (and listen) a lot of records to stay alive in this business.
All good. My point (and this is coming from a manufacturer who sells gear to dealers) is that a reputable dealer isn't interested in sticking you with the wrong piece of gear. They know they'll do better in the long run if they help you find the piece that's right for you. So a good dealer will allow you to buy two different preamps with the understanding there's a very good chance you'll be returning one of them (or exchanging it for another of the other). This can be more expensive for you if you live in a country that doesn't have a dealer, but just being on an island shouldn't be a problem - very few people drive to their pro audio dealership to evaluate or buy gear any more. Shipping is a standard part of the transaction. Returns and exchanges are likewise just a part of doing business.

Which small island are you on? Is it this one?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke ➑️
FWIW, I sold my API512C pair and am rockin' the Avedis MA5 modules - I get a heh on my face whenever I hear my tracks back now.

While I absolutely love API's EQs and Comps, I don't care for the 512 modules in the digital doman - they're just too 'honky' sounding - I mean that in a 'frequency' term, not a 'racial' one I can see how they would rock if I was going to tape though..

Buy a pair of both from a dealer that will let you try em out and return the ones you don't want - it's that simple.

I'm off to play my Tele, you slutz never stop
Hey how would someone compare the pre's in an API A2D (312 pre's) vs. the API 512c?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Seems like almost everyone agrees that getting 2 api's is the way to go. Im thinking getting a used api a2d would probably be the best bet especially for my 002 since I only got 4 AD converters that I can use without having to go into the pres. Would also leave a nice 2 slot space on my lunchbox. They can be found for around $1400 which is simliar to getting 2 512 pres without conversion.
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumXK ➑️
I have 2 P1's and 2 API's!

Luv it! P1's as overheads and API's for kick and snare
πŸ“ Reply