Quantcast
API and Pacifica - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API and Pacifica
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I have my first two 500 series pres coming UPS at any moment. I decided to get the 10 rack.

Oh, my first choice for duel pre duties?

API 512c's!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
As far as Saxon's post
again why can't Avalon and ADL put better tubes to begin with if they are that much better, looks like to me they would want the best from their products instead of issues. They don't leave out any goodies in the AD stuff.
Quite right. You have to swap the tubes if you're serious about the 737--suck$.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumXK ➑️
They can be found for around $1400 which is simliar to getting 2 512 pres without conversion.
Where can the A2D be found for $1400US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind ➑️
Hey how would someone compare the pre's in an API A2D (312 pre's) vs. the API 512c?
Could someone please chime in on this? I'm curious about the difference as well.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2studios ➑️
New? Nowhere.

That's low even for an older used one without the word clock.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2studios ➑️
I just did a quick search on Gearslutz and found two different sellers that are either selling or have sold for $1400 so i figured it can be had for that amount if you wait for a seller.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumXK ➑️
I just did a quick search on Gearslutz and found two different sellers that are either selling or have sold for $1400 so i figured it can be had for that amount if you wait for a seller.
I haven't seen one that cheap since before the price increase.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
I haven't seen one that cheap since before the price increase.
Yea, I guess those are older posts, I think its just wishfull thinking.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasteh ➑️
Anyways, from what I've heard, the 500 series Pacifica sounds 'nothing' like the 1 rack unit Pacifica. I however, would not have a clue.

Hope that helped,
I disagree, the P1 sounds a bit warmer and more 1272 ish than the Pacifica but its the same "sound". The P1 just takes the edge a bit more than the Pacifica, and again it is the same sound.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I disagree, the P1 sounds a bit warmer and more 1272 ish than the Pacifica but its the same "sound". The P1 just takes the edge a bit more than the Pacifica, and again it is the same sound.
The P1 and 1272 should never, ever be referred to as sounding similar.. As far as preamps go, that's like saying being punched and being kissed feels kinda similar.

But, I agree with the premise that the P1 and Pacifica are basically the same sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
The P1 and 1272 should never, ever be referred to as sounding similar.. As far as preamps go, that's like saying being punched and being kissed feels kinda similar.
Punched and kissed??? You either never got punched or you never got kissed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
don't listen to people bashing on the 737 it's a very clean and professional preamp. sure it doesn't have as much color as a Neve etc... but it's a great piece to have and I have recorded records which sold Millions with it so it's quality is NOT even a question.

AS far as between 2 512 and a pacifica. I would go for the pacifica. you will get Kind of like the presence and punch of the API but with a fat low end comparable to a Neve.
I especially like it on Guitars and for Rock stuff. Great Pre for the price too

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman ➑️
Punched and kissed??? You either never got punched or you never got kissed.
Sorry, it was the best analogy I could come up with... I was going to use the typical red, blue, green colors analogy... But, I figured I'd switch it up. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can someone suggest a tube replacement for the 737?

I have one and while I find it good for certain clean task like recording nylon string guitar or dobro (its my only really clean pre) I just never have fallen in love with it. If I could get it to sound more like a Millenia I would be stoked!

Every time I go to track vocals I just reach for a Pacifica or a Great River and plug into one of my UA comps. I would like a clean alternative.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=AllAboutTone;3857080]Ditto my friend , I feel the same way except I use the 512c, I like them better over the 3124+,

Arent they the same pre's?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
Can someone suggest a tube replacement for the 737?

I have one and while I find it good for certain clean task like recording nylon string guitar or dobro (its my only really clean pre) I just never have fallen in love with it. If I could get it to sound more like a Millenia I would be stoked!

Every time I go to track vocals I just reach for a Pacifica or a Great River and plug into one of my UA comps. I would like a clean alternative.
You will get all sorts of BS about tube replacement in an avalon 737- DONT waste your money. It will NOT make any noticeable improvement. This is one of the biggest sasquatch internet lies on GS. And I LIKE the 737 and used one everyday for over 10 years.

For other gear, tube swaps can be a great idea- Ive bought Bendix, Brimar, Telefunken, RCA etc. BUT please ignore the imbecile responses you will get to the "magic bean" 737 tube change.

Complete BS. But since this thread is about a guy chasing something... but hes has no idea WHY hes chasing it, the fictitious tube change would be par for the course!
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
2 P-1s
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Tony, I once slipped a girl the tongue without her permission and got punched in the face. Does that count?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman ➑️
Tony, I once slipped a girl the tongue without her permission and got punched in the face. Does that count?
Yes. heh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold ➑️
You will get all sorts of BS about tube replacement in an avalon 737- DONT waste your money. It will NOT make any noticeable improvement. This is one of the biggest sasquatch internet lies on GS. And I LIKE the 737 and used one everyday for over 10 years.

For other gear, tube swaps can be a great idea- Ive bought Bendix, Brimar, Telefunken, RCA etc. BUT please ignore the imbecile responses you will get to the "magic bean" 737 tube change.

Complete BS. But since this thread is about a guy chasing something... but hes has no idea WHY hes chasing it, the fictitious tube change would be par for the course!
relax buddy, dont see why you are wasting your time on this board then.. just move on if you are really bothered by it. I dont really need to explain why im looking to get some nice pres I think anyone going out to buy expensive gear should definitely get opinions of others especially since i havnt gotten the opportunity to test them out.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasteh ➑️

Anyways, from what I've heard, the 500 series Pacifica sounds 'nothing' like the 1 rack unit Pacifica. I however, would not have a clue.
The Pacifica and the P-1 are very similar sounds. To my ear they are a similar sound, but the Pacifica sounds just a little bit bigger.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
[quote=carlheinz;3860235]
Quote:
Ditto my friend , I feel the same way except I use the 512c, I like them better over the 3124+,

I believe they are, at least they sound pretty identical to my ears. I've tried to ask AllAboutTone about his opinions on this before, and I've also discussed this in several other threads, but never been able to get a definite answer to the question on whether they are identical.

I even emailed API about this, but interestingly I never got a reply (my previous emails to API about other topics got answered right away). I'm not ready to draw any conclusion from the non-reply, though
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=carlheinz;3860235]
Quote:
Ditto my friend , carlheinz: I feel the same way except I use the 512c, I like them better over the 3124+,

Not the same power transformer is the difference.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm ➑️
The Pacifica and the P-1 are very similar sounds. To my ear they are a similar sound, but the Pacifica sounds just a little bit bigger.
rcm, you know I'm a huge 500 series fan, however after reviewing my files you are correct, the Pacifica does sound bigger and has a nice bottom compared to the P-1, not sure what's going on there but the Pacifica is the clear winner, now I cannot say that in other 500 vs rack series, IMO i have tested many times and the 512c is more vocal friendly than the 3124+, the 512c seems to be less harsh in the mids imo. Some preamps we do not have a option because they are one are the other. Not sure how Elixir stands against its 19 rack model but the Elixir is KILLER.
ps: rcm, and yes if you had a huge thick metal etc mix going on you might not could tell the difference between the P-1 and the Pacifica but if its just a few instruments you can clear hear the difference between the 2.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very interesting.I like my 3124mb+.Iv'e used the 512c but not side by side.I think we are splitting hairs on this.But hey...thats why its Gearsluts.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses ➑️
Which small island are you on? Is it this one?
heh
No, mine is a very small island called Vieques.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEq ➑️
What makes you think you can't use the Pacifica as overheads? I dig Pacificas in that capacity. .
Me to. I love API for overheads as well, but I dig how the top of the Pacifica deals with cymbals. They are my go to OH pres. I have posted links to this before, but here is an MP3 of the Pacificas as oveheads. This is just three tracks on the drums (OH+kick), no EQ or reverb, only a bit of compression on a great drummer.
Attached Files

pacifica-oh 1.mp3 (4.30 MB, 212 views)

Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
[RCMQUOTE]but I dig how the top of the Pacifica deals with cymbals. They are my go to OH pres. I have posted links to this before, but here is an MP3 of the Pacificas as oveheads. This is just three tracks on the drums (OH+kick), no EQ or reverb, only a bit of compression on a great drummer.[/QUOTE]

Hey RCM thanks for that- nice sound. What mikes did you use as overheads-also did you use compressor on tracking-and what was it. Surprised at the room imaging with no room mike- how big is your room in dimensions?

Cheers
GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW, I traded out the blocks on my 512c's to the Avedis 1122 and I am a happy man. Makes a big difference. The toms sounds really big and detailed. We also used them for keys all day one day for some pseudo orchestration. They are less strident to me now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai ➑️

Hey RCM thanks for that- nice sound. What mikes did you use as overheads-also did you use compressor on tracking-and what was it. Surprised at the room imaging with no room mike- how big is your room in dimensions?
OH mics were Shure KSM32s > Pacifica > Manley Vari-Mu doing not more than a dB or two of compression. When mixing down this sample, all three drum mics were compressed vial parallel compression using an FMR audio RNC, then a tiny bit of brick wall limiting on the final mix to get the level up on the MP3.

This was in my old room where the ceiling was about 8 feet tall and about 20x25 feet long and wide.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➑️
No, mine is a very small island called Vieques.
Looks beautiful. I would much rather be there right now than here (since it's January - ask me again at the height of hurricane season).

Anyway, you're within 50 miles (as the crow swims) of a major US city, so there has to be a pro audio dealer you can reach (Though I can't name one - we don't have a dealer in PR for some reason). In any case, like I said everybody else in the world is conducting their gear evaluations by way of UPS, USPS, or FedEx and there's no reason you can't do the same!
πŸ“ Reply