Quantcast
Recording Acoustic Guitars - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Acoustic Guitars
Old 26th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've gotten some very "robust" sound from a pair of Rode NT3's.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have some KM 54 mics but the other week I just needed to make a quick demo and grabbed a couple of mics that were on hand. It turned out to be RCA BA11 ribbon(thru a Audio Upgrades pre) and a sm7(thru a phoenix audio). Not what I would have normally chosen but turned out great. Also I used a 000 Blueridge guitar instead of my usual Guild dreadnought. I may use the combo again. FYI there's some reverb from my Kurzweil Rumor on the cut.
Attached Files

04 Ani Ma'amin.mp3 (2.93 MB, 175 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauarts ➡️
I have some KM 54 mics but the other week I just needed to make a quick demo and grabbed a couple of mics that were on hand. It turned out to be RCA BA11 ribbon(thru a Audio Upgrades pre) and a sm7(thru a phoenix audio). Not what I would have normally chosen but turned out great. Also I used a 000 Blueridge guitar instead of my usual Guild dreadnought. I may use the combo again. FYI there's some reverb from my Kurzweil Rumor on the cut.
Sounds warm. Like it. Where were the mic placements?

I've used a RE20 on acoustic guitar to get a little more low end out of it.. I actually set up tow 414's as "overheads" and an RE20 in front of the sound hole to achieve the sound I was looking for on a track. The guitarist was kind of playing like a bass, drum and guitarist at the same time. 414's into a Phoenix DRS and RE20 into a Pendulum MDP.

I'm also a fan of a 57 on acoustic guitar, Especially for a rock thing. Seems happy when I hit it with an 1176. Sits in the mix well. Also really like ribbons.

I have some 451's that sound really good, but can be a little harsh to my ears sometimes. I've noticed I'm not a super fan of crispy highs. Sometimes a SDC is a little tight for my ears. Recently I've been more into mono on the acoustic. Or atleast the tracks I've been cutting are more responsive to mono right now.

I have been digging a LDC to get more of that Keith Richards Beggars Banquet sound... Anyone know what they were using? I really like the Gefell UM92 for this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon ➡️
For a cheap microphone, does anyone like the Rode NT5 pair for ~$400 for acoustic guitar? I never used them, but have considered them from time to time.
Works fine for budget stuff - point one at the 12th fret and the other at the bridge 12" away for a quick capture - or - do mono 2 part recordings and pan them L-R. If you have the time though, I'd recommend looking at better mics.
Old 27th April 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey ➡️
Hi gearslutz,
I am looking for a good mic for recording Steel string and classical Acoustic guitars.. Any suggestions on which one would be suitable would be much appreciated. Sorry.. a bit of a naive question.. just a bit lost

Thanks

Odey
This is one of those things that really depends on a few factors... The guitar being used... The track and how the guitar needs to sit... The Player himself/herself.... Also there are other factors like "Is the player singing while playing?", or "Is this an isolated track or is it being tracked live with a band", etc... etc...

For a fairly good, clean, and transparent track I find a TLM 103 works really well placed either near the bridge, or the 12th fret depending on how you want it to sound... Also placed a little away from the guitar provides a nice up close sound with a slight room ambiance. I find that set up nice for country and folk.

C414's are nice on more rocking tracks. They cut through a little more and don't have the low end of the TLM.

I have used a U87 before which a few people I know swear by, but honestly I thought it sounded thinner than the 103 and needed too much EQ to sit in the mix. Overall I have always felt U87's have WAY too much hype behind them.

Any long ribbon will do well in a folk atmosphere... They are pretty neutral to me as far as how they sit in a mix... Sometimes they need a little top end boost, but they have a very rustic sound and remind me of old folk/country records. Great for an old school vibe.

If you have access to one M50's are just brilliant on acoustic guitar... Their clarity is unparalleled and perfect for just about any track. They can be transparent or right up front... You hear EVERYTHING with those suckers.

U47's can be good, but I only recommend it if the mix isn't too busy. They can be buried kind of easily without any EQ, but if you sit them right up front they are stunning... Well, I shouldn't say burried, but a lot of sonic characteristics that you are aiming for in a U47 will be lost easily. So if you have a simplistic Ryan Adams sort of track, they are absolutely brilliant.

Really a lot of it just has to do with placement more than the mic... I have gotten great sounds of out MXL's before, because it fit the track, guitar, and player.

Classical guitar you mentioned, which I have only used the TLM on, but it worked beautifully... Got a really sweet tone... Actually I used an old SE mic back when they were only sold by Bayview Audio and it sounded great... But that was back in the day. Also I lied... and third mic I used when I was a teenager was an AKG C3000b which worked pretty well... Lost a lot of the bottom end, but had a great high end ressonance.

Just some thoughts...

-Grant
Old 27th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver ➡️
I'm loving beyer M260 on ac guitar...

Enjoy!
sounds good what pres and converters do you use?
I love the m160 on acoustic

beyers rule much better than royer
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I dug out an original c414 (the small squarish one with the black/silver grill) from the back of our mic locker on Friday and recorded some acoustic with it, just single mic stuff. I'd forgottten how good that mic is on acoustic. Actually, I'd forgotten I even had the mic. I'll be using it more now.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
In my opinion,

You shouldn't have any problems with getting a great sound with any mic in that price range.

I've been using a Telefunken m16 mkII and gotten great results. I've also used a u89 in combo with a sdc(don't remember which one)

And my Beyerdynamic mc930's as well!

I've attached a mp3(compressed from 25mb down to 1 mb so take that into consideration) of a single mc930.
Now I'm not posting this to show how great this is but rather for you to here it and experience the sound, in other words I'm just giving you a examples or direction. It might or might not work for you...
Attached Files

MC930 test 3.mp3 (996.8 KB, 174 views)

ljt
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I second the Schoeps cmc6. I use the MK4 capsule, and currently have a Pendulum
MDP1 pre. Listen to the schoeps at YouTube - ljtowle's Channel. The Walking Man cover uses the MK4 into a Great River MP500NV.

I find the Schoeps to be full & natural, and not too surgical as others claim. I think if you've got a decent acoustic, a used Schoeps CMC is the way to go!

ljt
Old 1st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage ➡️
What a GREAT TONE!!!

I'm shocked that nobody commented your sample!

I'm into orient tones on acoustic too...your tone is very refreshing. I can't belive you got out some (saz/buzuki style) tones from an western guitar...

I just bought KM54c yesterday the ultimate mic for steel guitar. Need to check out RCA BA11 and sm7...

Keep on playing that!

Gee thanks, I was quite pleased with it too. Yeah, 15 + years playing Klezmer is finally paying off. I hope to have some time this summer to record an album.

The RCA BA11 was actually sounding quite a bit rolled off alone so I tried a few other mics to balance it and the sm7 is what I ended up with. My usual micing technique is to put on headphones and move it around till it sounds good.

The mp3 sounds good but the uncompressed version is even better. And this is just mixing at 16/44 with the stock Masterlink A/D.
📝 Reply