Quantcast
Recording Acoustic Guitars - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Acoustic Guitars
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
After years of wandering I found KM 54/56. Sounds like from record!
Ribbons are nice, too
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any one have any thoughts on Earthworks SR20 for recording Acoustic guitars?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grushmore ➡️
Oktava MK-012 (Poor Man's Neumann KM84) the Oktava has slightly tighter bass than the Neumann KM84 (probably because it's transformer less)
My own experience FWIW is that transformers are good for bass.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➡️
Call Kev over at Unity Audio to check out the MFG KM69 !!

Here are some samples
Audio and More
+1 (and I have no vested interest in saying so beyond the fact I own a pair - but tried a lot of others before I settled on these). Km69 is a great all around mic (and Kev at Unity is a top guy). Often used around here with TG2 on acoustic.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➡️
+1 (and I have no vested interest in saying so beyond the fact I own a pair - but tried a lot of others before I settled on these). Km69 is a great all around mic (and Kev at Unity is a top guy). Often used around here with TG2 on acoustic.
That's a SICK chain mate!! All the audio samples on the MA site are done with the NPNG, which is currently the KING of clarity at our studio, but I've found excellent results with the Chandler.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I had heard that. I may well swing by again over the summer to hear this much vaunted NPNG...

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I ´ve achieved the best results with some DPA 4006 by far. Love omnidirectional mics for Acoustics!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm so angry right now! Why haven't anyone comment on my guitar track? I'm gonna destroy my mic.

Here I come - a friendly guy! And I take the time to upload a "track" - and no one cares? This is sick!

I'm so angry.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver ➡️
I'm so angry right now! Why haven't anyone comment on my guitar track? I'm gonna destroy my mic.

Here I come - a friendly guy! And I take the time to upload a "track" - and no one cares? This is sick!

I'm so angry.
Chill dude. The OP asked about mics. That's what we are discussing. If you want comments on your guitar track put in in the appropriate forum and ask for feedback.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➡️
Chill dude. The OP asked about mics. That's what we are discussing. If you want comments on your guitar track put in in the appropriate forum and ask for feedback.
Now you made me super angry!!!
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver ➡️
I'm loving beyer M260 on ac guitar...

Enjoy!
That sounds good mate! Good work. Ribbon Velvet!

For Chugging chords and and rhythm stuff, ribbons rule!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon ➡️
For a cheap microphone, does anyone like the Rode NT5 pair for ~$400 for acoustic guitar? I never used them, but have considered them from time to time.
Absolutely. Use these all the time. great cheap option.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatus ➡️
I've recently discovered that a Beyer Dynamic M160 on a steel string through a tube ribbon pre with no comp or eq is about the best thing that ever happened...ever. Point it towards the neck side of the sound hole and go.

AND you can save £ on the Beyer M160 and spend more on the pre.

I have also found that, more than any condenser, ribbons sound like what you put them in front of...they are fragile and not made for the big SPL's (unless you are using the Crowley and Tripp Alien spacecraft debris models)...But for capturing the nuance and the reality... they can't be beat....smooth and deep and real on the transient image tip.

Ribbons,
brendan b brown
wheatus.com
I also use the M160 on a lot of things and sometimes on acoustic guitar but always in combination with my Tubetech mp1a...
Otherwise I had great results with a Royer 121 and Telefunken V672.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
tighter bass because it's transformerless.
Why would being transformerless "tighten" bass?

(Always tough to write about sound, so one person's "tight" might not be the same to another person.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➡️
That sounds good mate! Good work. Ribbon Velvet!

For Chugging chords and and rhythm stuff, ribbons rule!
Thanks brother!
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For these purposes I most often use the Dragonfly DLX (not to be confused
with the less expensive Dragonfly).

It continues to win most often in shoot-outs here with the KM 84, KM184, Royer 121, AT 4050, CM-7, etc which I also have. I tend to go into a Pacifica, sometimes the Pendulum MDP-1 or Grace 801.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have used following mic's on guitar:

Eartworks QTC1
Line Audio CM3
AT-4033
AT-803b
AKG-C5900
AKG-C1000S
Sennheiser MKH-8020
Sennheiser MKH-8040
Röde Classic

And QTC1 usually comes out as best and most natural sounding.

I´ve ued most of these mic's at piano, banjo, 12 string, voice, nylon and steel string acoustics and QTC1 is overall best sounding. Let'snot have that noise discussion again but it can be a problem.

/Peter
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwailoh ➡️
Why would being transformerless "tighten" bass?
I can only *touch* on a few points here:

Transformers tend to 'color' (distort) low-end. This is due to induction itself, and to the core materials use din the transformers (m6 steel, nickel, etc.). Sometimes this distortion is pleasing, sometimes it is not desired. Inside a transformer, sound (AC) literally jumps from one wound-up cable into another. This process is lossy, though it has some benefits besides adding transformer color (blocks dc and rf, etc.).

All audio equipment distorts, to some degree. Generally, you chose gear based on how it distorts. Tubes, for example, tend to have 'pleasing' distortion. A 50db boost in gain inside a mic preamp represents a 100,000 times boost in energy.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Also, I recommend staying away from the Oktavas.

While they are less expensive than many other mics,,,, I bought one (a real Russian one, not Chinese) and plugged it into an Apogee Ensemble with headphones on. All I can say is: it sounded like someone trying to shove a pencil in my ears. I gave the mic away a few days later.

Honestly, the Peluso's are in the sonic leagues of a Schoeps Colette. I've even heard them in a Glyn Johns configuration as the main mics around a drum kit, and they sounded phenomenal. For the price, I am really amazed. I am going to be buying several stereo kits for my next tracking project.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
That's not my experience with the Oktava, especially after the Joly mod.

I have the Peluso CEMC-6 also.

Both are great mics. They sound different and are both worth checking for numerous different applications.

LDC's can also sound great on acoustics, especially for rhythm, in particular for a fat rock acoustic sound. I have a Pearlman TMLE I use for this. And for acoustic leads too. AEA R-84 can also sound great.

The preamp used also has a lot to do with it, clean preamps for fingerpicking, nylon etc while colored API type stuff sounds great for fat rock rhythms [I like the Seventh Circle A12]. Peavey VMP-2 can sound great for that too especially with upgraded tubes.

There's lots of choices, experiment, and mic placement can totally change the sound too of course.

It's a bit hard to just answer on mics without considering the whole chain... a "holistic" approach you could say.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I realy like the sound of Oktava's LOMO head on acoustic (steel) guitars, coupled with a 414....the LOMO has a very pleasing HF roll off and it works very well with old german x72 line/mic amps (solid state).....i get the string sound mainly from the 414 running through a JLMTG500 preamp which has a more colored upper midrange, while the LOMO gives the full guitar body without any HF harshness.....

However i agree about the SDC Oktavas....nice mics but not my choice for acoustic guitars especially with a "not so good" acoustic guitar player like me (pretty nice on nylon strings though)...however i haven't heard a moded Oktava MK012....but i'd surely love to!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMIXIMAL ➡️
I can only *touch* on a few points here:

Transformers tend to 'color' (distort) low-end. This is due to induction itself, and to the core materials use din the transformers (m6 steel, nickel, etc.). Sometimes this distortion is pleasing, sometimes it is not desired. Inside a transformer, sound (AC) literally jumps from one wound-up cable into another. This process is lossy, though it has some benefits besides adding transformer color (blocks dc and rf, etc.).

All audio equipment distorts, to some degree. Generally, you chose gear based on how it distorts. Tubes, for example, tend to have 'pleasing' distortion. A 50db boost in gain inside a mic preamp represents a 100,000 times boost in energy.
I wasn't seriously asking for an answer. The statement I was replying to was nonsense.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looking for a big, warm sound.. So I am looking at LDC's aswell.. Specifically the Neumann TLM 49..
For SDC's I am considering Josephson C42's..

Any thoughts?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi again Odey:

Here's the generic response to all of your questions so far. :-) Rent a whole bunch of different mics, decide what you like best, and buy one of those. Renting is really a true friend when you're looking for a particular sound, your mic locker is limited, and you don't have umpteen years of hands-on with hundreds of different mics. It's a great way to gain experience and help train your ears.

Re "big" and "warm", you can certainly get "big" and "warm" from SDCs. But maybe you'll like LDCs better in the end, or a particular LDC. Up to your ears.

Anyway maybe try renting for a while, and have fun!

Last edited by gwailoh; 31st January 2009 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sure!

The Oktava MK-012 is just a great bang for the buck and close to the KM84.
That doesn't mean the KM84 isn't great. Actually I have transformer mics only except the Oktava & the AKG C451 B.

The Oktava I recommended sounds very much like the KM84. It's a flat mic rather than a character one - which is neither good nor bad, of course. There's a place for mics with an opinion and a place for mics that give you back what you put in.

Top-notch advice!

The MK012 is a surprisingly competent and flexible microphone
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Acoustic Guitar Mic - Analysis Paralysis

This would seem to fit with this thread...I have been trying to make up my mind on my next mic purchase, specifically for recording acoustic guitars. Some of the songs are very acoustic-centered strumming songs, others are typical rock acoustic and others are bluegrass style picking. If I could wave my magic wand, I would try the following mics before purchasing -- Neumann KM54 or 254, a KM84 and the Mercenary KM69. I have also read good stuff about some of the Gefell's and Brauner's. I am ready to spend some coin on it but can't seem to pull the trigger. There is no place locally to try before buying.

I own Royers, Telefunken MK16 II's with NOS 6072's, AT4038, Beyer 201's, Peluso P28's and 2247SE and a bunch of mic pre's GML's, Quartet, NPNG, Shadow Hills, Chandler TG2, BAE 1073, API 3124, Mercury v76m blah blah blah.... I can get a VERY good acoustic guitar sound, but to my ears it's never GREAT. IMO what's keeps it from being great, even after eq'ing is a lack of "overall" balance between bass, mid and treble. Whether it's a Martin, Gibson, Collings or Taylor I'm always fighting the "it's either too boxy, too bass-y or too treble-y syndrome" and yes I am paying close attention to mic placement. The room is not Ocean Way or anything but it's decent. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim Cochran
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwailoh ➡️
Hi again Odey:

Here's the generic response to all of your questions so far. :-) Rent a whole bunch of different mics, decide what you like best, and buy one of those. Renting is really a true friend when you're looking for a particular sound, your mic locker is limited, and you don't have umpteen years of hands-on with hundreds of different mics. It's a great way to gain experience and help train your ears.

Re "big" and "warm", you can certainly get "big" and "warm" from SDCs. But maybe you'll like LDCs better in the end, or a particular LDC. Up to your ears.

Anyway maybe try renting for a while, and have fun!
Quite right. I have about 4 or 5 mics coming on demo next weekend..And I have a session with the guitarist booked on saturday. So I will give them a go and make a choice based on what sounds the best to me... I guess it is a matter of personal taste. It was good to get a starting point from everyone though instead of going in cold without any clue!!

Thanks

Luke
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey ➡️
Hi gearslutz,
I am looking for a good mic for recording Steel string and classical Acoustic guitars.. Any suggestions on which one would be suitable would be much appreciated. Sorry.. a bit of a naive question.. just a bit lost

Thanks

Odey

Visit the website: Dream Guitars: Acoustic Guitars from Albert & Mueller Acoustic Guitars, Applegate Acoustic Guitars, Beardsell Acoustic Guitars, Beneteau Acoustic Guitars, Benetau Acoustic Guitars, Beauregard Acoustic Guitars, Bogdanovich Classical Guitars, Bourgeois and select any of the instruments listed. Each instrument available for sale has a recorded sound sample available to audition. All of the samples on the site were recorded with a pair of ADK A6 microphones. Those mics are $250 each and sound quite nice. The mics are often recording $20,000 acoustics being played by a Grammy winning guitarist and the mics never get in the way of the playing or the tone.

PS: I am not associated with any of the businesses, people, or manufacturers for that site. I am simply offering additional resources for you to solve your situational needs. Good luck!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 ➡️
This would seem to fit with this thread...I have been trying to make up my mind on my next mic purchase, specifically for recording acoustic guitars. Some of the songs are very acoustic-centered strumming songs, others are typical rock acoustic and others are bluegrass style picking. If I could wave my magic wand, I would try the following mics before purchasing -- Neumann KM54 or 254, a KM84 and the Mercenary KM69. I have also read good stuff about some of the Gefell's and Brauner's. I am ready to spend some coin on it but can't seem to pull the trigger. There is no place locally to try before buying.

I own Royers, Telefunken MK16 II's with NOS 6072's, AT4038, Beyer 201's, Peluso P28's and 2247SE and a bunch of mic pre's GML's, Quartet, NPNG, Shadow Hills, Chandler TG2, BAE 1073, API 3124, Mercury v76m blah blah blah.... I can get a VERY good acoustic guitar sound, but to my ears it's never GREAT. IMO what's keeps it from being great, even after eq'ing is a lack of "overall" balance between bass, mid and treble. Whether it's a Martin, Gibson, Collings or Taylor I'm always fighting the "it's either too boxy, too bass-y or too treble-y syndrome" and yes I am paying close attention to mic placement. The room is not Ocean Way or anything but it's decent. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim Cochran
Hey Tim,

With the preamps you own, I would recommend trying the MTG 296/295 1" Nickel Capsule [I'd try the 296!!] as well, I can tell you that the Josephson C617 with MK221 Capsule is also a serious weapon for very dynamic finger picking. Omni's can do some magical things to acoustics in this regard. Ribbons too. I guess it depends, but I would suspect these are definitely worth a shot to try with your preamp and instrument collection.
📝 Reply