Quantcast
Mic´s and Preamps - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic´s and Preamps
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mic´s and Preamps

Hi, i didnt know where to put this thread, but I need help to decide what mic and preamp i should buy. I know you cant tell me what i should buy and how i´ld like the sound and if it´s the right one for me and my sound-source, but maybe you could share a bit of your experience of the stuffs I´m about to list down below:

Shure SM7
Neumann TLM49
API Lunchbox + 512c Preamp
John Hardy M1
Focusrite ISA-series (ISA One?)

I´ve already started another thread about preamps but I think that I´ll also buy a better mic than my Studio Projects B1 (150$), so all kind of comments are welcome! I also wonder if you could send me some audiofiles where the preamps and mic´s are compared to each other, if you own some of those things and want to do that! Excuse me for my bad english, i hope you understand what i´m looking for!

Thanks!
/Robin
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The mic is for your vocals? If so, do you want them to sound aggressive? Clean? I own the 512C, SM7B and TLM49. PM me with any questions that you have.

If you want an aggressive sound, the SM7B and 512C would make a punchy combination. If you want it pretty, go with a condenser. The TLM49 is great but look for other options in the price range. Also, look for other pres for vocals. While the 512C is capable, I prefer it on drums and guitars over vocals. I use my Atlas Pro Juggernaut and UA LA610 on vocals. That's not to say that the 512C can't sound good on vocals. But like the TLM49, there are other options in the price range that you may like. Avedis makes a great 500 series pre.

Also, I wouldn't just limit myself to those choices. I do not use the API on my voice too often.
📝 Reply