Quantcast
5.1 surround setup? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
5.1 surround setup?
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
5.1 surround setup?

What would yo suggest? 3 genelcs 8050a for the front 3 speakers....for the back 8030a...and a sub woofer??
And what about monitor controllers? Suggestions pls
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
what's your budget? What kinds of things will you be mixing?

Is Genelec you're preferred speaker??

Give us a couple more details
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i'm just trying to have some opinions...I like Genelecs...Film music mainly in surround....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well we've got the 8030.LSE Power Pack and I think it's great for a near field setup. If you have a small to medium sized room this will be great. We also have a Dynaudio AIR 20 system soffited and that also sounds great in a different way. We've got a fairly large room so the Dyn's as mains and Genelecs as mid-fields is great. We do mostly audio post for commercials and film.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just went trough a big pile of speakers for 5.1 and ended up with a lipinski setup. I just came from a movie scoring session with this setup and I am very pleased.

We have set aside our krells for our new Hypex amps. These amps are quite cheap and sound stellar, with a softer treble and warmer bass.

We are using a martinsound, but there are some excellent monitor controllers out there, depending on what kind of work you do.
I would look at the EMM labs swithcman and the Grace m906 both sound great.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If youre using 8050's up front...i would try to move down only one size...to the 8040s...and depending on the room, the program material...and how loud you like it...the 7071 or 7072.

As far as a surround monitoring controller..the Audient ASP510 is mid priced...the AVOCET Surround the top of the line
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancork ➑️
Well we've got the 8030.LSE Power Pack and I think it's great for a near field setup. If you have a small to medium sized room this will be great. We also have a Dynaudio AIR 20 system soffited and that also sounds great in a different way. We've got a fairly large room so the Dyn's as mains and Genelecs as mid-fields is great. We do mostly audio post for commercials and film.
Any idea if the 8030's can be suspended upside down? The physical limitations of my surround room require that the surrounds be hung from the ceiling. When I built the room I wanted to go with Genelecs or Dynaudios, but, at that time at least, the only system in this size range that could be directly coupled to a mount was the Blue Sky 5.1 package. They're not bad, and both my stereo and 5.1 mixes have translated pretty well. But most of the serious post and dubbing houses don't like Blue Sky at all, and I would like to upgrade if possible. I'm even considering just replacing the front array and taking a chance on a mismatched system, since the bulk of my work is still stereo anyway. Thoughts?

To the OP: whatever system you get, make sure you include a decent monitor controller with bass management. Some of the cheaper controllers don't include it, and this can wreak havoc with your balance, particularly if you're doing post and utilizing the LFE channel.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For 5.1 listening/mixing you need to consider a few things:

Are you going for a theatrical mix standard, home theater standard, or a 5.1 music standard? Each requires different speaker placements and types.

Home theater:

Theatrical:

Music:

You may want to browse:

Grammy P&E Wing Guidlines

I'm planning on using 3 ATC 300s for LCR (independent Krell amplification for each driver), and 6 JBL 8330s for diffuse surround monitoring, in my control room.

Greg

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using 3 Lipinski L-707 up front, an L-150 sub, and because I don't have a proper room, a pair of Sonus Faber Wall Domus speakers. They are a consumer speaker that has a very slim profile, wall mountable, and a ring radiator tweeter like the Lipinski, so I figured it would be a good match. For amplification I'm using Pass Labs X-3 and monitor controller is Grace m906. I also have a Meridian 568 which I use for decoding consumer sources and feed 5.1 digital to the Grace's 5.1 AES inputs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 8030 can be mounted either way...using the Omnimount bracket which matches the rear mounting holes on the back of the 8000 series
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've been looking at the SPL surround monitor controller, it seems to have the best price/performance ratio (US$800 and reportedly sounds great). The other contenders are at least 3x the price.

I'm putting together a 5.1 system with ADAM S2As once I get my PCM96 Surround.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the problem with both the audient and the spl is that they do not include talkback functions....dunno why
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic ➑️
I've been looking at the SPL surround monitor controller, it seems to have the best price/performance ratio (US$800 and reportedly sounds great). The other contenders are at least 3x the price.

I'm putting together a 5.1 system with ADAM S2As once I get my PCM96 Surround.
I have a system built with 5 S2A's, the SPL SMC, and a BagEnd Infrasub 12 Pro which has build-in 5.1 bass management. I like it very much. There are also some ADAM subs, but I think most of them leave you to fend for yourself on bass management.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Attached Thumbnails
5.1 surround setup?-studio-pix-001.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
and what do you use as a controller?? anyone know how to combine the 2 spl products to get both surround and talkback etc
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can get a multimax and a monitormax, they interact and become a very powerful cuesystem etc. Or you can just get a K&M micbase with an on off switch which is what we use.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm ➑️
I just went trough a big pile of speakers for 5.1 and ended up with a lipinski setup. I just came from a movie scoring session with this setup and I am very pleased.

We have set aside our krells for our new Hypex amps. These amps are quite cheap and sound stellar, with a softer treble and warmer bass.

We are using a martinsound, but there are some excellent monitor controllers out there, depending on what kind of work you do.
I would look at the EMM labs swithcman and the Grace m906 both sound great.
+1

Lipinski with custom amps & martinsound surround controller here. Today, there are cheaper and much nicer controllers around. Crane Song, EMM, Grace and Dangerous Music come to mind.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i think that only the dangerous and cranesong boxes offer talback functions + surround etc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiogear ➑️
i think that only the dangerous and cranesong boxes offer talback functions + surround etc
Grace m906 also offers the functionality, although you have to supply your own mic. I do believe it is actually a standard Grace preamp, a bit overkill for talkback! I also like the fact that it has a DAC output and multiple monitor support.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So if I get 5 genelec monitors + subwoofer and the spl monitor surround controller....what is a simple way to get talkback...and headphone outputs??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser ➑️
Grace m906 also offers the functionality, although you have to supply your own mic. I do believe it is actually a standard Grace preamp, a bit overkill for talkback! I also like the fact that it has a DAC output and multiple monitor support.
I think a good talkback pre is not to be underestimated. If you have to drive 300" of cable into a speaker on stage, you could get a hissy talkbackspeaker with a lesser pre.
If I were getting something today, I would probably spring for the grace. Wer have the m902 monitor controller and it is a very good sounding unit with a very good headphone amp to boot.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So if I get 5 genelec monitors + subwoofer and the spl monitor surround controller....what is a simple way to get talkback...and headphone outputs??
Any solutions for this please???
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a Dynaudio 5.1 system consisting of 5 BM15as and 2 BX30 subs. I can run the whole thing as a 5.1 setup for surround applications and use the Left Front and Right Front speakers crossed over with the time-aligned subs for stereo.

In surround monitoring, room geometry and treatment becomes more difficult because you need to deal with reflections from the surrounds as well as the from the front. I've heard some weird things from poorly designed rooms.

I use my D&R Cinemix for talkback and monitor selection. I'd look at the aforementioned Martinsound Multimax and the Crrane Song Avocet if you're not planning to use a surround console.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Any solutions for this please???
Dangerous Music Monitor with the surround addition. works like a charm.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yes but what about the spl's price range? the dangerous will cost nearly 3000pounds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
and what do you use as a controller?? anyone know how to combine the 2 spl products to get both surround and talkback etc
I don't need TB in my production room, since I rarely track there -- I'm mostly a location recordist these days. I have a TB controller of my own design in the remote rig.

It would be pretty easy to put the two SPL boxes together to get talkback -- run L/R through the TB box, and set its knob to unity gain. (Think about gluing it in position to avoid screw-ups.) This only gets you monitor dimming for L/R, but do you really need surround when you're tracking?

David
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
no for tracking only stereo...but just to have only one system connected...you know what i mean?? no complications
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
yes but what about the spl's price range? the dangerous will cost nearly 3000pounds
You looking at the Monitor ST with SR? That should be around $3000 USD, no?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS ➑️
The 8030 can be mounted either way...using the Omnimount bracket which matches the rear mounting holes on the back of the 8000 series
Excellent, thank you! Now I just need to come up with about $12,000 for the Genelecs and an Avocet and I'll be happenin'.
πŸ“ Reply