Need Help With Acoustic DI Track - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Help With Acoustic DI Track
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Need Help With Acoustic DI Track

Hello,
i have acquired several multi track sessions of a local artist and close personal friend who passed away about 9 years ago. These are a real treasure as they are songs never heard before in my area. We have plans to clean them up a bit and maybe complete them and i wanted to ask advice on how to thicken up an acoustic guitar recorded directly with it's pickup (DI). Obviously re-doing it the right way is out of the question. Are there any tricks that are for the most part ITB that can be done to make an acoustic DI more natural, thicker, less brittle, more realistic?

One possible benefit is that his voice was also recorded as a scratch track, and thankfully the performance is flawless, but he also played his guitar at the same time, same take as the DI. The guitar really doesn't sound all that great through the vocal mic because it's bleed, BUT, it does add some realism and strength to the brittle DI... the DI just has the clarity.

Any help would be appreciated!
thank you for your advice.
Ted
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
NEVER TRIED THIS WITH ACOUSTIC but maybe you could reamp the DI signal (using a DI box or reamp device) but instread of putting it through a guitar amp, you could output it through your really good monitors and capture the 'monitor signal' with a great mike/pre combination and record back into your DAW ..... could be interesting (or crap)

More conventional approaches might involve duplicating the signal and processing the two differently to get a quasi stereo thing happening ...

You might be able to get rid of the guitar in the vocal by coping the guiat track, lining it up exactly under the vocal track and inverting the phase and playing with volume until the guitar in the vocal dissappears

Michael V
Tassie
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
thanks for that.
any others have some advice for me, or tricks that you might use to strengthen a DI'd acoustic track that simply cannot be re-done?
thanks again.
Ted
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, if you're going to add additional tracks, why not just record additional acoustic parts (properly) and favor them in the mix? If the core of the performance is the vocal—and your real aim to get the songs, themselves, out there—then "submerging" the original guitar playing may be an acceptable sacrifice?

Best of luck.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunastus ➡️
thanks for that.
any others have some advice for me, or tricks that you might use to strengthen a DI'd acoustic track that simply cannot be re-done?
thanks again.
Ted
I do a lot of live recording where the artist only wants the DI and won't use a mic. I like to put a simple reverb (TrueVerb, or whatever you like ) as a mono to stereo plugin, to give it some spread. Simple but very effective! Try a room setting.

Perhaps some spreading delays too, if it is subtle, different delays for left and right. Possibly EQ the delays differently - again subtle - for added body.

Best luck, let us know!

L
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just had a similar situation which I seemed to have solved last night on a John Oates live DVD project I'm working on. The acoustic guitar was just a DI and I tried lots of different tricks like different verbs, delays and even various light distortions that seemed to make it sound more musical, but still not great.

I ended up borrowing a friends Fishman Aura which models different acoustic guitar body types which you can blend with the DI sound. I ended up sending the DI out to a little labs IBP to take the signal back to instrument level and then into the Aura which then fed a 1073 into a 33609 (lightly compressing). I ended up printing this 100% wet so I can blend it at mix time with the DI.

The Aura can have a ****ty phasey sound to it, but I tweaked it to minimize that sound and the end result is pretty darn good when blended with the DI. Not close to what we could achieve with good mics, but perfectly acceptable for a live track and much better than just the DI.

John just got a new guitar with the aura built in and I've heard rumors that there will be a plug in version at some point which would ease the process. Amazingly, this is the first DI I've encountered in 18 years in the business (and hopefully the last!).

Best,

Jamie
📝 Reply