Quantcast
GT vipre v.s Avalon VT-737SP suggestions for my home studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GT vipre v.s Avalon VT-737SP suggestions for my home studio
Old 26th January 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
GT vipre v.s Avalon VT-737SP suggestions for my home studio

Dear friends,
This is my first message on forum. I am looking for a preamp for my home studio. I will use it for miking and instruments, not only for vocals. Also i will record some guitars and bass directly. I am living in Turkey and here is we turkish people has no chance to try much gears. So i dont know how is GT vipre. I just read a lot of good things about her In the other hand, Avalon vt-737sp is most used preamp in Turkey. I dont know why. Maybe it is really best for all studios or just because of distrubitors. I am just wondering the opinions of GT users. I am a bit closer to GT, because i have read that its good for all such as mics, basses, guitars e.t.c.

Note : I will use this home studio for just recording for some part of Album
Main goal is saving time and i wont need to record all things at the studios.

The other gears due to my plan is at the below ;

*Apogee rosetta 200
*Any Pro tools compatible sound card which only works as an adapter between Rosetta 200 and Pro tools. (rosetta 200 will send digital signal via spdif in to this sound card)
*Mic preamp (GT or something else according to your suggestions)

I am ready to read all your suggestions and also if there is another suggestions for my plan.
And sorry for my broken english
Thanks.

Last edited by davulzade; 26th January 2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 26th January 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
FadersmakmeHappy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I have an Avalon as well as a number of other pres. It is a good preamp and has a usable opto comp for tracking use. It is very clean and uncolored. I use it primarily for recording strings and classical guitar. I have used the Vipre for vocal tracking and it is a stellar, but expensive unit. I would consider it a superior preamp for vocals and guitar. I have never used it as a DI of for bass.

Depending on what sound you are looking for I might suggest something a different. I prefer preamps that have a little color to them, especially for rock music. I really like the A Designs Pacifica preamp for vocals and guitar and it is much cheaper. For the price of the Vipre, you could get one and a top notch compressor to put behind your preamp. The GR ME-1NV is another good choice because it has a terrific DI.

For the money the API A2D is a terrific unit also and takes care of your AD conversion. Combined with a Apogee or Lavry DA this would make a terrific 2 channel interface to Protools. The API preamps are very high quality and you get two of them.

Perhaps if you give a bit more info on your music style the forum can give you some recommends.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
. I have used the Vipre for vocal tracking and it is a stellar, but expensive unit. I would consider it a superior preamp for vocals and guitar. I have never used it as a DI of for bass.
That answer made me become clear about something. I am happy to hear that its super on vocals and guitars. Because i thought it is not good for guitars. And vocal record sessions are most timekilling process for our band. So we will be able to record world class vocals at home and wont need to go to studio and spend $$ (offcourse with required isolations)
Actually compressors and equalizers are not in my primary list. Because i am planning just recording at my home studio. I wont mix anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
Perhaps if you give a bit more info on your music style the forum can give you some recommends.
Sure. Here is my band's myspace : Neon on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Playlist determines what my band's genre. But the mix and sound is not 100% what we wish. (Because of limited budget)
I think we can say its Turkish rock which impressed Brit rock sound.

Thanks again
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
in the red's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
i sent you a pm!
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The 737 is a good choice because it is a channel strip which would be more flexibile than just buying a pre. The EQ and compressor work well, especially since they increased the attack time (Babyface) mode on all 737's. With it being tube it smooths the signal buy it's not too tubey sounding like the Vipre. The Vipre adds a thickness to your signal which may be good for some things. Getting something more in the middle will offer you more flexibility. Another option is the Focusrite ISA 220 channel strip. It's a little cleaner sounding than the 737 but also has a good compressor and EQ. If you want 2 pre's in the same price range with a great clean limiter and shelf EQ, I would highly recommend Manley's Langevin DVC. You can go to manleylabs.com, check it out and they have some good review on it as well.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️
The 737 is a good choice because it is a channel strip which would be more flexibile than just buying a pre. The EQ and compressor work well, especially since they increased the attack time (Babyface) mode on all 737's. With it being tube it smooths the signal buy it's not too tubey sounding like the Vipre. The Vipre adds a thickness to your signal which may be good for some things. Getting something more in the middle will offer you more flexibility. Another option is the Focusrite ISA 220 channel strip. It's a little cleaner sounding than the 737 but also has a good compressor and EQ. If you want 2 pre's in the same price range with a great clean limiter and shelf EQ, I would highly recommend Manley's Langevin DVC. You can go to manleylabs.com, check it out and they have some good review on it as well.
Thanks. Im going to researching all of them.

BTW, I have seen someone saying that "i have both vipre and glorycomp and both of them are dissappointment for me" Thats why im confused. As you said i think vipre adds fully tube sound which is more than avalon. I love retro sound on guitars vocals and e.t.c. And i heard that its noiseless than many other all tube preamps.

Last edited by davulzade; 26th January 2009 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The Vipre is a great pre. When it came out people were raving about it . . . and of course in typical internet recording forums fashion . . . people (not all) are dogging it now. Though nothing has changed!! Some sales people that were raving about it when it came out, for the obvious reason . . . now seem they are on to new things to sell. I will say as an owner of a Vipre, it's a remarkable piece. It can give one mic many different sounds. It offers many variables for different palettes. Great for many things . . . has a great di for bass guitars etc. But, would I want it as my only pre? Depends on different things. I feel you have a wide spectrum of choices . . . as the Avalon seems to have no character (when I used it) . . . personally I like things that impart a certain character and pick those 'colors' when I need them. The Avalon had zero . . . which may work for you. If I were you, I would open up the possibilities / choices a bit. There are many pres to look at for many reasons. But between those two choices, I feel I might look for something in the middle IF it is your only pre.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Another two thumbs up for the API A2D. Amazing pre's and wonderful A/D conversion. All I need now is a good D/A. Any suggestions? Don't mean to hi-jack the thread. I own Avalon gear, it's not my go to preamp for many applications.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
whitepapagold's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Be careful about any "tube" comments about the avalon 737. It does NOT exhibit what you would expect from a tube sonically- it sounds 100% solid state. Its absolutely the most NON tube sounding preamp that actually has tubes- could be their placement in the circuit, I have no idea.

The comp is blah, the pre is decent and the eq is cool but edgy. Babyface himself would have to be sitting inside the compressor producing my session for me to pay attention to it.

I definitely think the Avalon is not the best decision if you only have one channel but its always been a popular choice because its a strip with an eq and a comp.

I sold mine after many years but now I wouldn't mind having it back. Im sure you can make either one work fine so at least you aren't in a bad position.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
FadersmakmeHappy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I am in complete agreement with the post above. I keep the avalon around for non-colored applications because it is the only really clean pre I have. Definitely does not have a traditionally tubey quality to it. Compressor is quite usable for tracking clean stuff. I certainly would not use it to crush stuff, it is a mushy opto. I am not a huge fan of the eq, but it works.

For vocals and acoustic guitar, I would much rather have a Pacifica feeding a 1176, LA2a, or C1B any day of the week.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
FadersmakmeHappy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind ➑️
Another two thumbs up for the API A2D. Amazing pre's and wonderful A/D conversion. All I need now is a good D/A. Any suggestions? Don't mean to hi-jack the thread. I own Avalon gear, it's not my go to preamp for many applications.
Lavry or the Mini Dac if you need firewire.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I have a Vipre. I think it's great on vocals, guitars, bass, synths. I have a bunch of API pres that I love as well.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
The Vipre is a great pre. When it came out people were raving about it . . . and of course in typical internet recording forums fashion . . . people (not all) are dogging it now. Though nothing has changed!! Some sales people that were raving about it when it came out, for the obvious reason . . . now seem they are on to new things to sell. I will say as an owner of a Vipre, it's a remarkable piece. It can give one mic many different sounds. It offers many variables for different palettes. Great for many things . . . has a great di for bass guitars etc. But, would I want it as my only pre? Depends on different things. I feel you have a wide spectrum of choices . . . as the Avalon seems to have no character (when I used it) . . . personally I like things that impart a certain character and pick those 'colors' when I need them. The Avalon had zero . . . which may work for you. If I were you, I would open up the possibilities / choices a bit. There are many pres to look at for many reasons. But between those two choices, I feel I might look for something in the middle IF it is your only pre.
Thanks for the great advice

This advice pushes me to think again. I want a preamp which usable for multiple things. In the other hand, i am worrying if it adds too much character. I know that almost each tube preamps adds their signature to the sound. I just worry if it adds too much character. Maybe i must buy a good quality transparent preamp which has sensible price in its class after buy a tube preamp like Gt vipre. Maybe i must wait for save more money. Im just confused. Anyway thank you all for your friendly advices and supports since my first message
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
not saying the Vipre has too much 'character' per se . . . but you might want to also look at a 6 space API rack for $450 and add some modules as you go for 'color'
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
DONNX's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Another owner of the GT vipre. Phenomenal tube mic pre. One of the best IMO. But expensive and loaded with fragile parts. I would advise air delivery. Lots of tubes in this beast. Enormous transformers by cinemag as well. Custom trannies. A awesome piece of work. Aspen did a great job.

I have used or owned Lachapell 583s, La 610, 610, V78M tab funkenwerk, avalon 737sp.

The reason why the 737 is so popular is because its not only a preamp, but a eq, compressor, etc. And its built with quality in mind.

A bang for the buck piece in comparison to a vipre. A vipre is one channel. mic or instrument, thats it. NO official eq. Nor compressor. Its a monster of a preamp. If you can afford one or two get em. If you are on a budget. The 737sp is definitely a useable channel strip if you need a nice channel strip. It was good enough for one of the best singer songwriters in this world "baby face" and many other R&B, Rap artist. I loved the one I had back in 97. Don't know what they are like now.

Good luck.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➑️
not saying the Vipre has too much 'character' per se . . . but you might want to also look at a 6 space API rack for $450 and add some modules as you go for 'color'
I am newbie about these things. But if im not wrong, this api, neve, amek lunchbox preamps are kind of limited edition of channel strips (which includes only a preamp). Am i right ?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX ➑️
Another owner of the GT vipre. Phenomenal tube mic pre. One of the best IMO. But expensive and loaded with fragile parts.
Thats why im planning to buy second hand. Its possible to find it on ebay 1.7k-2k range. I think its possible to find the mint condition of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX ➑️
The reason why the 737 is so popular is because its not only a preamp, but a eq, compressor, etc. And its built with quality in mind.
I think i wont need compressor or eq. Because i wont mix anything. I just want to record something at home instead of a commercial studio for save $$. Isnt it a good idea ?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
FadersmakmeHappy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Dav,

When you are tracking vocals, a compressor/limiter on the back end of your signal will greatly enhance your performance. You should use it very lightly, just to knock down the peaks and not to squash the vocal. This is the reason Avalon added a comp to the 737. A comp will allow you to sing more dynamically and with greater gain in your preamp and not hit overs when you are recording.

Check out this post I started. There are a lot of heavy hitters that list their chains.
Killer vocal chains!

The API A2D has a loop so that you can add a compressor to it before going into the converter. Another gentleman posted the Api 500 series lunch box idea. That is another solid choice. You could get an Avedis A5 an API 512 and a Purple Fet compressor for the price of a new vipre. That way you have a couple of different sonic options to choose from.

What Mic's will you be using? I believe a good mic is absolutely critical and should be weighed in your overall purchase plan.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
Dav,

When you are tracking vocals, a compressor/limiter on the back end of your signal will greatly enhance your performance. You should use it very lightly, just to knock down the peaks and not to squash the vocal. This is the reason Avalon added a comp to the 737. A comp will allow you to sing more dynamically and with greater gain in your preamp and not hit overs when you are recording.
Check out this post I started. There are a lot of heavy hitters that list their chains.
Killer vocal chains!
Dear FadersmakmeHappy, Thanks for the advice. I am going to digging into it when i move to home from work. Looks like i won't sleep tonight heh


Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
What Mic's will you be using? I believe a good mic is absolutely critical and should be weighed in your overall purchase plan.
I didnt decide yet. Im just saving money now. You may think why i am asking these months ago. I am spending months before buy gear, for choose the right gear.
I am also thinking about Lunchbox solution. Its good advice too. Maybe i can choose this solution with diffrent pres and compressors before buy the gt vipre
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
For vocals and acoustic guitar, I would much rather have a Pacifica feeding a 1176, LA2a, or C1B any day of the week.
I will add to the list, 512c 3124+ , Buzz Elixir, MA5, GR.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Btw, One of the reasons of why im insisting on getting an all tube pre is ;

I love the vocal sounds of some of the songs that recorded at 50's 60's such as like "Earth angel" or "Poetry in motion".

The modern versions of these vocal sounds can be found at 2 diffrent songs ;

*Last shadow puppets - my mistakes were made for you
*Amy winehouse - you know I'm no good (im not 100% sure but i guess the tricks are similar)

I think common thing between these vocal tracks are saturation effect and reverb. I know you will say that it wasnt made with just a tube pre and there is a lot of tricks and factors. Yes i know but i think it starts from a alltube pre (it is the key). I am wondering your opinions for how made these vocal sounds. Is there special tube pre model or brand ? Or can it made by almost any all tube pre?

I didnt find the right topic for ask this and decided to ask here. I hope you dont mind folks...
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Just keep in mind that just because something has a tube, does not mean it is going to have the sound you are necessarily looking for. Case in point would be the 737. I have one in my rack and it a really clean preamp for being tube. A lot of the time, I think people mistake the sound of the transformer in the circuit for "tube" sound. Just keep that in mind. There are a load of "warm" sounding solid state preamps out there, think Neve, etc. I don't have a ViPre, wish I did, but my take on it is it makes everything that passes through it "big" for lack of a better word. Others above that own it seem to like them obviously and I can only imagine that it is a much more colored animal than anything the 737. I have seen ViPres on the 'bay for $1500-$2000. You might also consider the 2 channel SuPre too. It is a little cheaper, though not the ViPre, I can't imagine it being a slouch in the big color department.

GROOVE TUBES VIPRE GT VIPRE ALL TUBE MIC PRE AMP - (eBay.ca item 180323190797 end time 31-Jan-09 19:00:00 EST)

NEW Groove Tubes SuPRE Mic Preamp & DI - (eBay.ca item 350153989811 end time 14-Feb-09 18:47:51 EST)
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks Dear Crash for your advices. Noted down for my searching.

Could anyone attach some nude samples of it with dry guitar or bass or vocals ? It would be great and would clear something easier than words.

Really i will be slave of anyone who add the Gt vipre sound samples with simple info to here
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
FadersmakmeHappy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
If you are looking for the colored sounds of the 50's and 60's and the Amy Winehouse vibe you will want to stay away from the 737.

Try a Telefunken pre, a Neve, or a UA 6176, and maybe Ribbon Mic like the AEA 84. Even more critical to getting this sound are vintage spring and plate reverbs that impart that sound. You want something vintage not modern, tubes or not.

Seems you play drums: Let me break it down. A DW Collectors edition is a great kit, but it will not give you the sound of a vintage slingerland.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Vipre is awesome. I have a variety of different flavors of pres and the Vipre is its own thing. Very uncolored and realyy can tailor it to a specific mic or performance. I also agree with what one other guy said, it is a fragile beast and has hundreds of soder points.
It is great for vox, guitars, and as a bass DI. I plan on doing some sound samples with it in the next couple of months.
I will link up when I finish them.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
If you are looking for the colored sounds of the 50's and 60's and the Amy Winehouse vibe you will want to stay away from the 737.

Try a Telefunken pre, a Neve, or a UA 6176, and maybe Ribbon Mic like the AEA 84. Even more critical to getting this sound are vintage spring and plate reverbs that impart that sound. You want something vintage not modern, tubes or not.

Seems you play drums: Let me break it down. A DW Collectors edition is a great kit, but it will not give you the sound of a vintage slingerland.
Yes i know, but nice example

So it seems im on the right way, but i need to stock more money on preamp. I decided to buy 2 pres. 1 tube pre and 1 Solid state.

Can anyone put sounds of gt vipre ? i will be happy to hear it.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
FadersmakmeHappy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Dav,

I listened to your band. I dig your sound although the lyrics are lost on me.

Just my 02 but I would definitely be looking at a AMI TAB-Funkenwek V72. It has a very vintage tube sound.

It you love tubes, getting a tube mic should be priority. I really love tube mics for vocals and use a Bock 151 as my primary mic. The Pearlman TM1 is also another contender and cheaper. That said with with your vocalist, you may also consider the Ribbon mic I recommended or even a SM7 or a RE-20 in addition to a LDC tube mic. I think most of Thom Yorke's vocals are recorded with a RE-20 and they are great especially if your room is untreated.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Head
 
davulzade's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
Dav,

I listened to your band. I dig your sound although the lyrics are lost on me.

Just my 02 but I would definitely be looking at a AMI TAB-Funkenwek V72. It has a very vintage tube sound.

It you love tubes, getting a tube mic should be priority. I really love tube mics for vocals and use a Bock 151 as my primary mic. The Pearlman TM1 is also another contender and cheaper. That said with with your vocalist, you may also consider the Ribbon mic I recommended or even a SM7 or a RE-20 in addition to a LDC tube mic. I think most of Thom Yorke's vocals are recorded with a RE-20 and they are great especially if your room is untreated.
Thanks a lot Now, thanks to you, i have a lot of things to search. I will start as soon as im home after work. :=)
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 12 views: 6499
Avatar for DarkSky Media
DarkSky Media 11th July 2009
replies: 191 views: 16917
Avatar for shebsen
shebsen 1st January 2021
replies: 59 views: 24624
Avatar for thirdroompro
thirdroompro 19th September 2016
replies: 55 views: 3940
Avatar for jwh1192
jwh1192 27th October 2017
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump