Quantcast
Gordon Pre vs Buzz Audio MA-2.2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gordon Pre vs Buzz Audio MA-2.2
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gordon Pre vs Buzz Audio MA-2.2

Looking for any one with "hands on" using both of these pre's for recording acoustic guitars, vocals, and drums. I've read lots of threads about each of these pre's but I'm hoping to get a hands on comparison from engineers that have used both.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track 7 ➡️
Looking for any one with "hands on" using both of these pre's for recording acoustic guitars, vocals, and drums. I've read lots of threads about each of these pre's but I'm hoping to get a hands on comparison from engineers that have used both.
Both are excellent pres....The Gordon has a little more on the low end I guess. The Buzz is an excellent acoustic guitar pre, like it was made for acoustic in my opinion. Totaly natural... You can get a little more rich with it's tansformer (TX) option. ....the Gordon has a little more mojo while still maintaining a clean and precise high end. You don't always want mojo for acoustic instruments. Especially strum..Still to go to a pre that gives a lot of "beef" in it, you tend to lose articulation.
That is why the Gordon is on its own in my opinion. The beef is from the source not the on board of the pre. My opinions only.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Cannot speak for Gordon but Buzz audio is amazing, yes its great for acoustic and to me it has one of the best DI's I have ever heard to date, vocals are smooth and creamy, tons of headroom and hard to breakup, Bass DI is the perfect round bottom with no overs sorta like it had a high end compressor attached. Just added my 2nd buzz piece.heh
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the gordon is a investment for life. no dilly dally, no pussy foot, no beat around the bush.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But that does not mean that it will always sound better than the Buzz on anything. I have heard samples of the buzz that are awesome - made by a pro and compared to many other pres. So it is no slouch.

I am sure the Gordon is great and I do not want to discount your love for it, as I would bet it is all valid. But perhaps for hundreds less, a Buzz or Forssell solid state is also a pre for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gefell ➡️
the gordon is a investment for life. no dilly dally, no pussy foot, no beat around the bush.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
+1
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So is a Buzz.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree that the Buzz is a lifetime keeper pre. Also, if people go to
3daudioinc.com they can also learn more about the Buzz pre. And, Lynn Fuston used a buzz pre in his 3daudio pre cd and I have listened to that pre along with MANY other pres - and the Buzz is top notch. (and so is that 3daudioinc CD.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred ➡️
So is a Buzz.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
I agree that the Buzz is a lifetime keeper pre. Also, if people go to
3daudioinc.com they can also learn more about the Buzz pre. And, Lynn Fuston used a buzz pre in his 3daudio pre cd and I have listened to that pre along with MANY other pres - and the Buzz is top notch. (and so is that 3daudioinc CD.)
as far as I remember the Gordon is on Lynns "Preamps in paradise comparison DVD"! Listen to this, when I heard it, I was totally blown away by the Gordon!
The only drawback would be, at the moment I ain't got no Gordon... :-(
yet ;-)
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Gordon is a motherfugger.

At first I thought it brought out the worst in the mics. Now, I just marvel at the amount of bass and articulation that Gordon brings to the stereo picture.

Gordon been very very good to me. I feel one could make a credible argument for selling all other solid state mic amps and just standardizing on the Gordon.

Sorry I don't know the Buzz mic amps.
KAB
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Gordon is a motherfugger.
Completely agree.

Quote:
At first I thought it brought out the worst in the mics. Now, I just marvel at the amount of bass and articulation that Gordon brings to the stereo picture.
Makes mics sing "Nowhere to run, baby. Nowhere to hide..." with no loss of musicality. Good stuff!

The Buzz is an excellent pre, as well IMO.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I REALLY wish someone could comment on a shootout between Gordon and Forssell - I'm really torn.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I also love Pacifica on acoustic guitar - it would be wonderful to hear it side by side with the buzz for that (based on comments above)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➡️
Cannot speak for Gordon but Buzz audio is amazing, yes its great for acoustic and to me it has one of the best DI's I have ever heard to date
There's no DI on the MA2.2, is there?
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey ➡️
No DI on the MA2.2, I think he is referring to the Elixir, which is in the same camp sonically, but still different than the MA2.2TX.
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So is a Buzz.
So is the Crane Song Flamingo.

When we were looking for a clean pre, namely for our Yamaha C7, it was between the MA-2.2 and the Flamingo. There was a delay in getting the MA-2.2 in and it simply turned out that we were so impressed by the CS pre, we didn't bother bringing in the Buzz, but had experience with Mil-Media to compare the CS to.

But given all the great things I read about the Gordon, I'd love to put one up with the CS. The low end of the CS is what really impressed us, so if the Gordon's low end is even more impressive, that's quite a testament.

I also have little doubt that the Buzz is terrific too, and had we got our hands on that one first, I might be talking up a different pre right now.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➡️
So is the Crane Song Flamingo.

I also have little doubt that the Buzz is terrific too, and had we got our hands on that one first, I might be talking up a different pre right now.
Yeah, Dave Hill makes great stuff of course. I find that he and Tim actually have a similar philosophy of result in their gear - Natural and clean, but very big and musical at the same time.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
please
someone do a gordon vs forssell vs gml test! [The forssell is a lot cheaper (800usd) than the gordon]
please

best regards
Massimo
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No DI on the MA2.2,
I did know that !!! Glad I own 2 Elixirs for the DIs, they are just or more important as the mic pres at times. Acoustic Guitars and Bass.... wow.......amazing stuff.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
+ 3 for Buzz Elixir as well, solid well built gear that is amazing with their mic pre and top notch DI.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I had a Buzz MA2.2 and it was my first decent pre. I got through gray market channels before they had a US distributor and it was only $1200. I added the sowter output tranny later but they didn't make $300 difference in the sound.

It's really fast and really clean. The amount of transient detail in accoustic instruments is amazing. I found it pretty good on about everything. I wouldn't say it was really the best for distorto electric guitar. Not enough funk for that.

I wanted to get something with more color to it so I sold it a few years later. The list price had gone up so I was able to sell it for a nice little profit.

I'm not sorry to have made the trades I did, but I'd get one again if I had the cash.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So is a Buzz.
I agree..tim is a brilliant man
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey ➡️
NO....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I still cannot understand the need for 3 different pieces of gear to make up a Gordon preamp, that is odd !! and they sell it by the pieces as well. Even tho I have never heard Gordon that is a small issue that turns me off.....
Give me one piece please...lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you´re referring to the gain pots beeing in a separate physical unit than the actual preamp the idea is to give you the possibility to have the pre out in the tracking room, close to the source with short cables and the remote (with the gain knobs) in the control room. It connects with a regular xlr mic cable.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction ➡️
If you´re referring to the gain pots beeing in a separate physical unit than the actual preamp the idea is to give you the possibility to have the pre out in the tracking room, close to the source with short cables and the remote (with the gain knobs) in the control room. It connects with a regular xlr mic cable.
It could be a plus by all means, I have never saw another setup like it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction ➡️
This is interesting but I don't see the advantage of having the pre out in the tracking room. I mean you can just run long xlr cables to the pre anyway and you still have to do this to get to the gain pots unit that is in the control room anyway... what am I missing here about this?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track 7 ➡️
This is interesting but I don't see the advantage of having the pre out in the tracking room. I mean you can just run long xlr cables to the pre anyway and you still have to do this to get to the gain pots unit that is in the control room anyway... what am I missing here about this?
I was gonna say the same thing as well, wouldn't loss of signal with longer cables and possible noise issue play a role as well ? I am missing this as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➡️
I was gonna say the same thing as well, wouldn't loss of signal with longer cables and possible noise issue play a role as well ? I am missing this as well.
No worries about loss of signal with XLR cables! Most control room's are closer than 100 feet ! I don't get it, but I'm sure someone will have an explanation.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
sonically its better to run long cable from pre to control room.
rather than from mic to pre.
in otherwords, long runs of line level signals travel better than mic level signals.
AJ
📝 Reply