get the hammer .....

API 2500 + Hammer = SEXY LONG TIME

What is the Hammer?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan ➑️
Really ?? old Neve 80 series channels (1073, 1064) has never worked for me on the 2 bus.. it always killed something important, way too much distortion and phase shifting.. it is big.. but since I'm mixing on a custom discrete transistor console maybe i already have the nice 2 harmonics.. but i remember trying to use the Neves for warming up computer mixes that I've got to master.. it didn't work also. don't get me wrong here.. I'm a HUGE Neve fan for what it does good, nothing can touch it for vocals and bass but i don't like what it adds and take out on the master.

You can try using the 33609 for a nicely colored 2 bus comp, it uses different amps which are more transparent than the 1272's but still more colored than the API's.
hey like i said, it really depends on the song. there are times where the 1272 is too colored and i push the material thru a V77 or 5012.

maybe because lately i'm doing some stuff that requires "edge trimming".

also, i found that it's dangerous to slap these on at the end of the mix session, because usually my ears can be fatigued at that point (esp after long session), and so slapping on a Neve pre feels like it's muffling things, when in fact it may be just the right ticket.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickdoker ➑️
What would you recommend that works in a similar fashion to the 2500 but is a little more colored? A Neve perhaps? I like what the 2500 does compression-wise for tightening, I just would like to hear a little more "color/vibe/mojo" whatever you want to call it.
Buy a pair of Pultec EQP1's or a Fairman TMEQ - this wil give you
all the color and vibe you will ever need - leave the compression
to the API.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If it's syrup you want for color then the Manley Vari Mu. If it's a more feather kind of color..the Buzz SOC...
I love em!.
Old 4th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i would definitely buy converters first...you will build your entire chain on sand otherwise. but i would stay away from the UA or BURL for now. they give you only 2 i/o which is way too little for any serious production.
get a lynx or mytek instead - something mulichannel. they will be good enough for shure and give you about 6 more i/o :-)
personally i don't understand the point of a coloured converter anyways. i just plug in a tube compressor when i want colour. that allows for some flexibility.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
you might want to demo a Vintage Designs CL1mk2
kind of a cross btw an old Neve 2254 but with the tightness/openess of a 33609jd and handy variable attack/ HPF sidechain
I'm about to swap a 33609jd for one
Hey Roundbadge! are serious? the VD CL1mk2 can have that nice openess as the 33609jd?
How is the stereo image on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke ➑️
Here's what I would suggest, but of course your ears will be the final judge:

1. Return the API 2500 (if you must - I own it and love it).

2. use that $ to get a UA2192 - as I said before, these are trying time economically so check the classified first. I've owned it and can guarantee it's probably what you're looking for. However, I did sell it and upgrade to a Weiss ADC2 - but that's about $5k more than what you want to spend.

3. Track everything with your 2192 and you will get that warmth you're looking for.

hope this helps,
Michael
I checked the Burl and is really a great piece..but how against the UA2192? which one do u prefer and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle ➑️
good point ... i never really tried the 1272 after the 2500.
using the 1272 as a starting point just seemed to be a natural thing to do imho.
my 2bus chain:
lavry da10 -> Fearn LP-1 -> 1272 -> Hammer / 2500 / 5500 -> Api A2D

how do you use the 1272 in your chain?

cheers.
Man u have mojo for years!!!
But don't you lose some clarity?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander ➑️
i would definitely buy converters first...you will build your entire chain on sand otherwise. but i would stay away from the UA or BURL for now. they give you only 2 i/o which is way too little for any serious production.
get a lynx or mytek instead - something mulichannel. they will be good enough for shure and give you about 6 more i/o :-)
personally i don't understand the point of a coloured converter anyways. i just plug in a tube compressor when i want colour. that allows for some flexibility.
Yeah..a multichannel converter will do more in this case! but the Burl is pretty cool and does something special that I am not sure can be obtained with any other analog mojo box..... but really get your point about a colored converter!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Steinberg MR816x, it's live havng 4 Lavri's

Pre amps and DA/AD are top notch running my distressors and SPL Tube vitalizer through it as external instruments with delay compensation. Works like a charm.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRexx ➑️
Man u have mojo for years!!!
But don't you lose some clarity?
if you would push everything real hard you could start losing clarity.
but i tend to use the chain very reasonable so it will only ad nice stuff to the sound.
the hammer i.e. is just adding some nice flavour without boosting anything.
but as you said, this chain is supposed to ad mojo ... and that's what it does.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander ➑️
yes, if the serious production involves multi-inputs from tracking or multi-outputs for analog console/summing. but if you're gonna be 'seriously' serious you can always get multiple converters, like Neil Young with his multiple 2192's.

it comes down to whether you want quantity or quality. i do serious productions, and i choose quality thanks.
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
API transformers rearrange the low end a bit. Sometimes this is just the ticket and sometimes it's a problem.
API
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
you might want to demo a Vintage Designs CL1mk2
kind of a cross btw an old Neve 2254 but with the tightness/openess of a 33609jd and handy variable attack/ HPF sidechain
I'm about to swap a 33609jd for one
+1

This is an amazing compressor for the money.
I use mine alot for both tracking and the 2-buss with amazing results.
Great guy as well that builds them and he has superb customer support.

API
Old 8th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
1) Get the sounds already happening before you hit the 2 buss

2) Mix through a Chandler mini mixer

Waiting till the end alot of times is not enough.
That's very true, Manley summing mixer could be good too.
Old 31st August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
wrong 192

hey, i know this might be a little late in the game--seems this threads been dead since may--but i have a thought for you:

mayhaps you're using the wrong 192. I'll explain what i mean in a minute

I agree with everyone who says that you need a better ad/da. however, i respectfully disagree with the gent who said not to get a colored ad/da. While no one can argue with the quality a lavry blue has to offer, when faced with the choice, i myself went with the hedd cranesong 192, and i haven't looked back.

Hence the comment about having the wrong 192

i don't know if you're familiar with this unit, but that "unquantifiable analogue warmth" people are always talking about? the hedd 192 goes a long way in helping me get that. Both in the front end as an AD, and again in the mixing stages as a DA, the pentode, triode, and tape-sat knobs on this unit (used sparingly) add an extra harmonic resonance which seems to give my mixes the layer of polish that i always want. Combined with your API 2500, it should prove indespensible.

The only downside for me to the hedd seems to be its clock, which isn't perfect. But if you have another clock to slave it to it shouldn't be a problem. If not, the clock on the hedd is perfectly fine. I just prefer the clock on other units.

Anyways, give it a demo at your local audio store if you can. It maybe what you're looking for. It might not.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I cannot imagine wanting more color than the 2500, its sweet and the warmness is like no other. I do find the 2500 a little harder to dial in the perfect sweet spot, that is the only con.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Slightly more color?? than an API 2500. I would recommend a Neve 33609, Aurora Audio GTC2, TSL-3 or a old Focusrite 230, Red 3, or 130s.

stike
Deleted User
What about a pair of Chandler Germaniums or the Vintage Design CL1MK2?
Old 1st September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Has anybody tried using the pre as an insert on the mix buss. Wouldn't this negate the need for a line filter?

I noticed also that some of you guys aren't using the compressor as an insert either. Any reason for this? Is this because you're using a console?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNSmoke ➑️
Here's what I would suggest, but of course your ears will be the final judge:

1. Return the API 2500 (if you must - I own it and love it).

2. use that $ to get a UA2192 - as I said before, these are trying time economically so check the classified first. I've owned it and can guarantee it's probably what you're looking for. However, I did sell it and upgrade to a Weiss ADC2 - but that's about $5k more than what you want to spend.

3. Track everything with your 2192 and you will get that warmth you're looking for.

4. W/ the money you save buy the Sonnox Oxford Dynamics plug-in and strap that across your Mix buss - they're actually on sale right now. I bough the Elite bundle and they're the ONLY plugs I'm using.

BTW, I would suggest doing a Google shopping search - I think last I checked B&H Photo had the cheapest prices on the 2192. And if you decide to buy used, don't let any of these dealers give you some bull**** about a warranty and 'tech support' as I know UA stand behind all their gear even if it's used. and just to let you know, I'm not affiliated with any of these companies.

hope this helps,
Michael
I would check out a few things that work for me as far as plugins.

1. Antress Modern Analoger (its free, search for it....fantastic if used right)
2. Waves Classics Bundle
3. Flux Spring Pack
4. Sonnox (was already mentioned, awesome)
5. Sonalksis (SWEEEEET STUFF!)

I would go with the 2192 before anything else if I were you. And that may be biased because I went down the road your traveling, and the converters were the ticket. The term "You can't polish a turd" should be inscribed on your soul! Im not calling your music a turd, **** ive never even heard it. Im just sharing my experience. Then you could do the 2500 and hear it through different ears. I doubt that you would think the same thing. Sometimes the 2500 for me is too much and Im a huge analog head.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
Well the 2500 is a pretty coloured compressor anyway....but I'd probably steer you towards the Fatso.
Yeah,maybe the UBK even better.

But I gotta say by going after a more "colored" option than the 2500 on your mix bus might take you to the "danger zone". Maybe too much.

Cheers
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Run thru the 2500 multiple times. Thru it when tracking (little or no compression), critical elements thru it for mix processing, and the mix thru it at the end. This is a fair approximation of what it's like to mix on a Legacy.

It also helps to use the manual makeup amp, that circuit adds tone.

Color accumulates; looking for it in one pass thru one piece is asking too much.

Gregory Scott - ubk
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
2500---> API output saturation ---> Burl B2 Bomber

+YES.
πŸ“ Reply