Neumann M149 - which preamp? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann M149 - which preamp?
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Neumann M149 - which preamp?

I'm already testing Neumann M149.

Which preamp do you suggest to use with this mic? I already tried with Universal Audio LA-610 SE, Avalon 737, TLAudio C1 and Focusrite ISA220 but none of them works as good as in build mic preamp in Yamaha DM2000 in combination with this mic! But I know this is not the best solution.

So ... if I decide to buy this mic, which preamp do you recommend? SSL Xlogic, Neve 1073, ... ? Anything else?

What do you mean about Neumann M149 vs. Wagner U47?

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilus ➑️
I'm already testing Neumann M149.

Which preamp do you suggest to use with this mic? I already tried with Universal Audio LA-610 SE, Avalon 737, TLAudio C1 and Focusrite ISA220 but none of them works as good as in build mic preamp in Yamaha DM2000 in combination with this mic! But I know this is not the best solution.

So ... if I decide to buy this mic, which preamp do you recommend? SSL Xlogic, Neve 1073, ... ? Anything else?

What do you mean about Neumann M149 vs. Wagner U47?

Thanks!

What's your budget? Can't go wrong with a John Hardy preamp. I would ask Phil, Ustad, or Fletcher for more opinions but I'm sure they will tell you to listen to your ears and demo some preamps with the M149, if that's the mic you are sure you want to go with. Another suggestion, try out a Vintech X73. I own one and I happen to think it sounds amazing. Both the pre and EQ. Good luck with your search
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilus ➑️
I'm already testing Neumann M149... Which preamp do you suggest to use with this mic?... SSL Xlogic, Neve 1073, ... ? Anything else?
+1 for the Hardy. I've also had excellent results with 1073/1272 and Avalon AD2022 with the M149.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The M149 is one of the hottest output mics on the market today; so much so, in fact, that you'll find some people saying they run it directly into a compressor/converter/E.Q./etc. This is, of course, source dependent - so you're not gonna skip the preamp on a classical guitar, f'rinstance. That puts all the lower gain and/or noisier pres into the equation (i.e. any preamp will get you a good enough signal).
So what it comes down to is, do you like the sound of the mic?...on everything? If so, get a really clean pre - GML, Martech Earthworks, Buzz, Crane Song etc. If not, get whatever 'color' pre trips your particular trigger - Neve, API, V76, you-name-it - it's all up to your ears/preferences.

Scott
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW, IΒ΄ve had great results with M149 into a RNP for applications like drum room ambience and acoustic guitar. The M149 seems to work better with a "clean" type pre than your usual "character" pre, at least for my taste.

Stein Tore

🎧 15 years
The best I ever heard was an original ISA110 module (which is surprising since that preamp is nothing spectacular)...

A Neve 1073 or a similar Neve style unit would also work fantastic.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
+1 for 1073, I am using Original 1073 in Brent Averil rack
I tend to avoid MIC + PRE are both Tube. Only 1 Tube in the chain but that just me.
Sonny
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yep, 1073 & M149 work very well. But not on all vocals. Really depends on source.

Cheers
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My typical chain: M149 > 1272/1073 > Tubetech comp > tape.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you want a clean, but semi-colored preamp. You can't go wrong with an Avalon M5. Got mine for sale if anyone's interested. PM me
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
M149 > b-range play well together.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
M149 into Manley tube mic pre into Tubetech comp CLIA, is my favorite for vocals usually, next is Neve.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
What type of music ?

If you want smooth/HiFi, I recommend the AEA TRP, which was designed by Fred Forssell (who has also designed gear for Manley, Millenia Media, etc..).

If you want 'the album sound' we all know and love, go with the Neve 1081.

If you want huskier and more colored, try the Buzz Audio MA2.2 with Sowter transformers or the JLM Audio 99v, and have Joe replace the stock input transformer with a Cinemag 75101 (API-type transformer, which sounds incredible with his discrete Class A opamps).

If you want sparklier and more Trident-like, I recommend the Geoff Daking. Dakings sound airier and more open than the original Trident A-Range, more dynamic and lively than the 80/80b/80c, and you can record a million tracks through them and they will sit together nicely in the mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
when I want it clean I go into my AEA TRP, not for the high gain, the clarity. Then if I want it rocking I go into a original V72, that gives me the vintage tube vibe the 149 lacks on its own.

for a louder source I sometimes use a V74 line amp (fixed 10 db gain) as the 149 is very loud as-is the extra 10 db is enough, with a bit of vintage tube tone added for good measure. (but not as much as a v72)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been using it with the MA5, 28K switch in, and liking the results very much while also getting quite a few compliments from vocalists.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If you are able to invest a bit :

DW FEARN VT1 is an INCREDIBLE mic pre, far far away from the others....

And if you ask Doug Fearn, he builts a custom pad especially made for the M149, that corrects the output impedance of the microphones ( and makes it sweeter, silkier ), and let you go as you want into the tubes !!!! VERY NICE !!! And you can use the pad with other preamps of course ....

But I swear to god, it took me 30 sec of vocal recording to know that was the one...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I get fine results on vocals and horns with 149-> DW Fearn or 737. I use a pr of 149s on piano with Millenia Origins all the time, standard path for me for jazz gigs, either SS or NOS Telefunkens.

I get terrible results into my Focusrite Red1, thin and nasty. Probably an impedance mismatch.

addendum: I just used a pr of 149s into P1s on a horn quartet (what many of you would call "French" horn) a couple weeks ago and it was very, very cool. I had actually put them up as an additional room mic planning to use a pr of Schoeps as my primary. The Schoeps in this case went unused.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitMus ➑️
The M149 is one of the hottest output mics on the market today; so much so, in fact, that you'll find some people saying they run it directly into a compressor/converter/E.Q./etc. This is, of course, source dependent
Does anybody have any experience doing this? I think it's a great idea but haven't tried it. The M149 can be annoyingly hot and this technique for cutting vocals of a loud nature would seem to be a good alternative.

I will be trying it this week with a M149 - TT CL 1B. Sorry, if it's OT

TW
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A shure inline pad can cut down the output level if its presenting a problem for your preamp. a lot cheaper solution than buying another preamp.
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I use api preamp, with or without the attenuator pressed.
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I use a TubeTech MEC1A with my M149 and it works a treat.
πŸ“ Reply