Quantcast
Building a 1073 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a 1073
Old 25th January 2009
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Building a 1073

I am a junior electronics engineering student that works part time at a local recording studio. For my prototyping class I would like to build a Neve 1073 mic pre, and have already found a reliable schematic. My main problem is locating the several sound cards required (BA284, BA283/AV, BA182/C, BA211, BA205). Does anyone know where to purchase these cards or where to find schematics for them? Also has anyone ever attempted to build their own Neve before? If this is impossible, what would be a feasible consolation? I am very set on building a high end preamp for this project. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.
Old 25th January 2009
  #2
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
You picked a very difficult project even for a truly experienced tech...

You won't get much help here... check out the prodigy-pro forums.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
DIY

Yep, go to prodigy-pro forum where you can find schematics and pcb's for the 1073 and 1084 you'll save a lot of money with DIY. If you have skills in soldering, reading schematics and troubleshoot you should have no problems

You might get some negative reaction from here since this it a buy it now marketing site where many sales and small companies hang out to push product but just ignore.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
How hard is it to build 1073? Do they have a kit available? How much do you actually save when building a 1073?

I wouldn't mind building a pultec eq for my api lunchbox. Is there a kit available for building modules for the API lunchbox?
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recman ➑️
How hard is it to build 1073? Do they have a kit available? How much do you actually save when building a 1073?

I wouldn't mind building a pultec eq for my api lunchbox. Is there a kit available for building modules for the API lunchbox?
Building a 1073 pre/ EQ is one of the hardest projects the average DIY'er could attempt. Even a 1272 is a pretty difficult task compared to a 312 style preamp.

A simple preamp or VCA compressor is a much simpler DIY project.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
John Suitcase's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
From my understanding, building a 1073 preamp (the 1290) isn't that difficult, but if you're planning to build the whole channel strip, with eq, it may be a more substantial undertaking. Most preamps are pretty straightforward, it's when you start adding in the eq section that things get complicated.

Set Search Parameters
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
diy

If you can troubleshoot circuits to a certain degree and solder it shouldn't be to hard and you'll save a lot of money. The 1290 is easy and the 1073 would be a little more difficult but I'm sure you could accomplish
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
aermotor's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Building anything with EQ is pretty difficult. A preamp would be much simpler. I'm nearly done with 4x 1290 clones (1073 pre sans EQ)
and it's pretty easy. Once you start adding EQ it really multiplies to time/effort.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Is the 1073's EQ really worth all the extra effort, or would it be best to just use a software EQ?
Old 27th January 2009
  #10
Gear Nut
 
gallerytungsten's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondimpact ➑️
I am a junior electronics engineering student that works part time at a local recording studio. For my prototyping class I would like to build a Neve 1073 mic pre, and have already found a reliable schematic. My main problem is locating the several sound cards required (BA284, BA283/AV, BA182/C, BA211, BA205). Does anyone know where to purchase these cards or where to find schematics for them? Also has anyone ever attempted to build their own Neve before? If this is impossible, what would be a feasible consolation? I am very set on building a high end preamp for this project. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Aside from the difficulty level, I think it would behoove our man here to ask himself if has ever made a pc board? If not, maybe try something easier.

If you are set on making a high-end preamp you probably need to explain your skill level and electronics construction experience to get some better direction.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondimpact ➑️
Is the 1073's EQ really worth all the extra effort, or would it be best to just use a software EQ?
It depends on what its worth is to you, of course.

Hearing about a 1290 sounds cool. I am saving up for the Aurora GTP8 myself though. I don't think I would want to wait for the R&D of Class A amplifiers or transformers on that caliber when Geoff already nailed it.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Kinsey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It is actually pretty straight forward to build just the 1290.

The main board you need for the 1290 is the BA283AV which i can get for you.

The carnhill transformers are sold by these people
You can find all the shematics and build info on practically every neve unit at the groupdiy Neve Page

πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 51 views: 18730
Avatar for shaunleveque
shaunleveque 23rd March 2020
replies: 125 views: 26724
Avatar for warhead
warhead 12th June 2012
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump