Quantcast
wireless headphones - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wireless headphones
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
wireless headphones

Is there such a thing as a high end pair of wireless headphones for the studio? I've never considered this before and they certainly WOULD NOT replace all the main, high-quality ones, but sometimes I just want to walk around wire-free.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a couple wireless headphones that might work:

5.8 GHz DIGITAL Wireless Headphones, Model 2500

Sennheiser USA - RS140 - Product Details
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious ➡️
Is there such a thing as a high end pair of wireless headphones for the studio?
No there isn't - unless you can hold of a pair of the old Sennheiser RI 850 (basically HD 580 headphones with infra-red cordless transmission that transmitted 16/44.1 digital with the DAC in the headphones). Those are the *only* cordless headphones I would call high end.

Don't forget that 3/4 of the price (approx) goes on making them wireless - so your £100 will buy you a cordless pair of £25 headphones (The RI 850 sold for £800 and the HD 580 were £200).

Also - wireless headphones have automatic level control so they modulate fully without overload so the volume can increase in quiet passages and clamp down when the level gets too high.

The only wireless I, personally, would consider for any quality would be to get a decent in-ear monitor system and plug your normal favourite headphones into that instead of the supplied in-ear jobbies.

I hope this helps.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks, both responses were very helpful. Here's what I just came across: Sennheiser USA - MX W1 - Product Details
Anyone familiar with them?
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious ➡️
Thanks, both responses were very helpful. Here's what I just came across: Sennheiser USA - MX W1 - Product Details
Anyone familiar with them?
They are mini wireless headphones designed for the iPod (and similar).

Because they use "Kleer" technology, they don't have the narrowed bandwidth of Bluetooth.

Excellent though they are - for wireless in the studio I would go for an IEM system with my normal headphones plugged in.
📝 Reply