Lynx Aurora 16 and monitor control - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora 16 and monitor control
Old 25th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Lynx Aurora 16 and monitor control

Hi to all at Gearslutz, here comes my first post

I am wondering what the best way to control monitoring volume is with the Lynx Aurora 16, do the users here control via software or do you have to buy
monitoring control hardware. I am trying to research a totally new setup for my home studio and i am stuck on either the Prism Orpheus or Lynx Aurora 16
for converters.
Old 25th January 2009
aurora + monitorcontroler

Dangerousmusic D-box
Dangerousmusic ST
Cranesong Avocet (with separate DAC)

several others..

stay away from central station or big knob..

cheers
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Aurora + analog console.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➑️

cheers
I agree on the big knob - definately to be avoided - but the central station really isnt bad for the price point.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Lynx Aurora 16 and Central Station + Remote is exactly my setup. I KNOW the sound and build quality of these units cuz I own it! Never had problems with the Central Station, great unit for the price. I know a well known mastering engineer in my country, before he bought an Avocet system, he used CS as monitor controller too!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

several others..

cheers
I kindly disagree
Central Station works great with an Aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran kelly ➑️
I kindly disagree
Central Station works great with an Aurora
The central station sucks in term of buildquality and sound, but the price is ok.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The central station sucks in term of buildquality and sound, but the price is ok.
In terms of sound: Are you referring to the sound using the DAC or the analog inputs?

I kind of agree on the build quality.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Aurora 16 + Cranesong Avocet work really well for me, the DAC's on the Avocet are very good.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I disagree....mine sounds at least as good as Digi convertors (which ain't bad at all), and there is no disputing its versatility.

Only demo'd one Mackie, and it broke while a salesman was showing it to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan ➑️
I disagree....mine sounds at least as good as Digi convertors (which ain't bad at all), and there is no disputing its versatility.

Only demo'd one Mackie, and it broke while a salesman was showing it to me...
shall we start arguing about digi-converters now?

it is just my experience with blowing PSU's and not-working centralstations..
you can buy whatever you want.. it is a free-market. I wouldn't, but other people would.. so..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
shall we start arguing about digi-converters now?

it is just my experience with blowing PSU's and not-working centralstations..
you can buy whatever you want.. it is a free-market. I wouldn't, but other people would.. so..
I've never had any experience with nor have even heard about Central Stations crapping out...maybe I need to spend more time here?

When it comes to Digi vs other converters, remember that it ain't the arrow, its the Indian that matters....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aurora 16 with Central station /remote. great value and absolutely NO problem with the sound!!
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blused ➑️
I am wondering what the best way to control monitoring volume is with the Lynx Aurora 16, do the users here control via software or do you have to buy
monitoring control hardware. I am trying to research a totally new setup for my home studio and i am stuck on either the Prism Orpheus or Lynx Aurora 16
for converters.
You also have 2 software options that will keep your analog signal path pure.

1) Use the lynx mixer to control the outputs of the 2 channels driving your monitors
2) Use your DAW to contrl the output. Cubase, for example, has a control room that lets me gain all of the outputs to monitors, headphone amps, hardware effects,... and also ad CD players, tape players, ... as sources

A monitor controller is a great thing for hooking together multiple speakers and multiple sources (Aurora16, CD player, ...) so you don't have to boot the computer to listen to a CD. But you can do want you want to do in software.

I'm using a Central Station for convenience (and cost). I run Aurora16 and a Lavry Black DA through it. I suspect I'm whacking the signal a bit but the convenience is ooh so nice.

Someyear perhaps a Cranesong...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yeah its passive so not sure how it sounds so bad . Had mine for a few years a few
QC issues but a great value of a product the Central Station is.

I am have a friend who masters some pretty big stuff and it is good enough to be in his signal chain.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
warning with centralstation: you can't sum inputs.
you can monitor just one stereo channel per time.

this is why I gave it back to the shop.

the only monitor controller with this ( .....) "feature".

luca
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've just been testing some monitor controller options (@ 96k), basically comparing my Genex DAs straight to the amp against running through the controller:

- Avocet: DA better with upsampling off but still too thin low mids, loss of air, upper mids forward (reminded me of Smart C2) and harsh, overall not transparent at all...
similar analog but better. Overall poor and overpriced if you're talking top of the tops "mastering quality"...
- Mytek 96DA: very close to the original but only syncing to Genex clock, otherwise thin bottom end/low mids. Preferred to Avocet.
- Coleman passive: low end and mids intact , loss of top end.
- SPL volume2 : haze, no bottom - poor
- DACS head master: more natural DA than Avocet, thin bottom, not as good as Mytek.

After all Genex DAs rock, running through Coleman passive switchbox (still loosing some air) to the amp at the moment, waiting to hopefully hear the Crookwood next, otherwise pretty stuck... All I need is 2in 3 out switch and a volume knob - is there a truly transparent piece of kit out there that can do this? Frustrating....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unguitar ➑️
warning with centralstation: you can't sum inputs.
you can monitor just one stereo channel per time.
True, bit of a PITA. I think this is a side effect of it being passive. If you want summing, you need a make-up gain stage.

Petter
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use;

Aurora 16 and Coleman Audio M3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabian ➑️
I've just been testing some monitor controller options (@ 96k), basically comparing my Genex DAs straight to the amp against running through the controller:

- Avocet: DA better with upsampling off but still too thin low mids, loss of air, upper mids forward (reminded me of Smart C2) and harsh, overall not transparent at all...
similar analog but better. Overall poor and overpriced if you're talking top of the tops "mastering quality"...
- Mytek 96DA: very close to the original but only syncing to Genex clock, otherwise thin bottom end/low mids. Preferred to Avocet.
- DACS head master: more natural DA than Avocet, thin bottom, not as good as Mytek.

After all Genex DAs rock, running through Coleman passive switchbox (still loosing some air) to the amp at the moment, waiting to hopefully hear the Crookwood next, otherwise pretty stuck... All I need is 2in 3 out switch and a volume knob - is there a truly transparent piece of kit out there that can do this? Frustrating....
A SSL console
monitoring section?? heh
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One word. Goldpoint.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Interesting. You're the first guy I've seen to comment negatively on the Avocets' DA.
How was it 'overall poor'?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
Interesting. You're the first guy I've seen to comment negatively on the Avocets' DA.
How was it 'overall poor'?
Well, it was only "poor" relative to my expectations and the usual slutz hype....
Put it this way, if you only plug it in and listen to it you'll probably like it, it's flattering, pushes the upper mids forward, thins out the low mids ("transparent"), the kind of tonal balance we expect to hear after mastering... What I'm interested in is how does it compare to the original source and it is to my ears definitely not transparent. Going in analog is better but still similar effect. I would ideally like to hear what I'm doing unprocessed. One can argue that every monitoring system has some colour from various components and you just get used to it, so I suppose it works, especially if you like pushing 3-6k too much it'll certainly stop you from doing it. I tested one of the first units in the UK back then and since the DA upgrade I thought I'd give it another go. I use to own HEDD, Ibis, 2x Trakkers (still have one), STC 8 - there's definitely a "Cranesong" trademark sound in all of them, including the Avocet. As for the DAs, I much preferred the Mytek (albeit clocking to Genex, otherwise a bit thin bottom) with Genex coming top. This is only based on how close it sounded to the source, ie how many times I got it wrong or was undecided in the blind test. Also, listening through Mytek or Genex subtle differences were a lot more obvious than through Avocet, which says enough. Just picked up the Prism Orpheus today and will give it a go as well. The thing is, I'm really in need of an analog monitor controller since I'm happy with my Genex, it was only an idea to try some DAs with volume control and get a bit more than just a volume knob for a lot of cash. I have a Raindirk desk which is great and "transparent" as far as they go (thanks for the SSL sugestion, I'll pass) so I don't need talk back etc, just the most transparent volume control with a few switches...
Anybody else tested these things? Dangerous? Crookwood? Anything else?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Dangerousmusic D-box
Dangerousmusic ST

several others..

cheers
Just spotted George's suggestion above for Avocet with separate DAC - why George?
Maybe I'm not the only one after all ....
BTW, you can disable upsampling by removing an internal jumper and it certainly improved things @ 96k and 192k (I normally use 192k)... There isn't much point in upsampling from 192 to 192k eh? Having said that, the word here is that the latest HEDD with 192k optional board installed (and payed for!?) doesn't actually work at 192k!!! Anyone knows what's going on there? I remember years ago eventually selling the HEDD 'cause the 192k thing just wasn't happening after waiting forever....
Yet Avocet upsamples to 192k and did when it first came out while I was still waiting for the HEDD upgrade.... Dunno...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, it was only "poor" relative to my expectations and the usual slutz hype....
Put it this way, if you only plug it in and listen to it you'll probably like it, it's flattering, pushes the upper mids forward, thins out the low mids ("transparent"), the kind of tonal balance we expect to hear after mastering... What I'm interested in is how does it compare to the original source and it is to my ears definitely not transparent. Going in analog is better but still similar effect. I would ideally like to hear what I'm doing unprocessed. One can argue that every monitoring system has some colour from various components and you just get used to it, so I suppose it works, especially if you like pushing 3-6k too much it'll certainly stop you from doing it. I tested one of the first units in the UK back then and since the DA upgrade I thought I'd give it another go. I use to own HEDD, Ibis, 2x Trakkers (still have one), STC 8 - there's definitely a "Cranesong" trademark sound in all of them, including the Avocet. As for the DAs, I much preferred the Mytek (albeit clocking to Genex, otherwise a bit thin bottom) with Genex coming top. This is only based on how close it sounded to the source, ie how many times I got it wrong or was undecided in the blind test. Also, listening through Mytek or Genex subtle differences were a lot more obvious than through Avocet, which says enough. Just picked up the Prism Orpheus today and will give it a go as well. The thing is, I'm really in need of an analog monitor controller since I'm happy with my Genex, it was only an idea to try some DAs with volume control and get a bit more than just a volume knob for a lot of cash. I have a Raindirk desk which is great and "transparent" as far as they go (thanks for the SSL sugestion, I'll pass) so I don't need talk back etc, just the most transparent volume control with a few switches...
Anybody else tested these things? Dangerous? Crookwood? Anything else?

Thanks for your view. I'll have to try it myself at some point.
I guess your expectations are very high (I'm guessing you master?). Me being in a small mixing/overdub room (with Digi 192), I think it'll be alright. Great, in fact.
Interested in the Dangerous box as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
in a home studio environment your DA is only as good as your room. i've found you're not going to tell a HUGE difference at a certain point unless your room is dead on. i think you'll be perfectly happy with the lynx and a controller. thumbsup
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
Thanks for your view. I'll have to try it myself at some point.
I guess your expectations are very high (I'm guessing you master?). Me being in a small mixing/overdub room (with Digi 192), I think it'll be alright. Great, in fact.
Interested in the Dangerous box as well.
Of course, my expectations are always high - yours?
"I think it'll be alright. Great, in fact."
"Alright" is not great, "great" is not good enough - only " best possible" will do.
Have a reason why not? Have money to throw away?

Just finished with the Orpheus, in case you're interested....
Too hyped, definitely a big WOW to begin with - transient, big , wide, BRIGHT, NOT nasty in any way. Incredible definition and clarity... I like it.
But , there's always a trade off - when you dig in a bit there's definitely a loss in the midrange, guitar type of stuff (i.e. U2) sounds weak and clinical. My band walked in and after WOWing the prism I put the Genex on and everyone said it just sounded "live"! Once again, I'm comparing it to the original source signal and my conclusion based on what I've tried is simple: Mytek 8x192 ADDA! I only had 96DA here which was the most transparent (almost couldn't tell the difference to the original) and 8x192 should only be better. And to get practical, the stepped master volume knob (in the analog domain btw after DAs - on the Orpheus it's just a dig. controller, like using your DAW basically so every -6dB you lose 1bit and should really dither...), should be even better, you are getting a high quality monitor controller thrown in!
Do your calcs... The headphone amp is outstanding, I'd happily run the second monitors through it. I know , the "proper" mon. controller is neater etc but if you don't need more than a quality volume knob this is a great solution. On top of that,
mytek gives you a WC distribution AND analog summing.... and most importantly (for me) it sounds GREAT. That's what I'm going for.

Oh yeah, I couldn't get the Orpheus to work @ 192k in my setup (16x out on 2x AES16 in dual wire @ 192k) - I think it's the firewire bottleneck, so definitely going for the AES.

I tried the first Aurora in the UK and remember not being very impressed next to Genex, but that's a long time ago.

Anyway, Aurora + a "good" sounding controller (if there is one) ain't gonna be cheap...

Just take your time to research, demo and buy THE BEST you can.
As for "that'll do in my crappy room" , you've got to start somewhere to improve things and since you're about to spend money it's the perfect moment. And you never know, even if you don't hear that much of a difference in your room, it's going down on the disc (ADs, ...and DAs if you're mixing analog) and the chances are someone else might hear it in a better room!

Good luck!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➑️
Aurora + analog console.
+1
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:

Dangerousmusic D-box
Dangerousmusic ST

several others..

cheers
Why are there so many positive reviews of the CentralStation?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course, my expectations are always high - yours?
"I think it'll be alright. Great, in fact."
"Alright" is not great, "great" is not good enough - only " best possible" will do.
Have a reason why not? Have money to throw away?
Not too sure about the reasoning for your little attack, but just to answer, my ADDA isn't a Prism or a AX24, it's a Digi 192. So there's a fair bit of improvement that could be made on the DA front, which hopefully the Avocet can provide.
My monitor controller is a custom made summing box using SSL parts (it cost about twice the price of an Avocet), and though I like it, I think can be improved on for various reasons on the monitor control side of things.
My room isn't crappy, over $100k was spent on it's construction. My expectations are high, to a degree, but it's probably not where your expectation is, unless of course the Avocet really is crap.
Do I have money to throw away? No. That's why I'm gathering information from users on the internet before I decide on what to demo or buy. As I mentioned before, I found your views of interest due to the fact that I hadn't seen anyone else criticize the Avocet as much as you did.
πŸ“ Reply