Lynx Aurora 16 and monitor control - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora 16 and monitor control
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon ➑️
Why are there so many positive reviews of the CentralStation?
Probably because it's very good for the price and the budget conscious people that bought them were pleasantly surprised when they used them.
They're not in the same league as some of the others, though admittedly CS cost way less.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
+1

+1 on the analog console here!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm thinking about the Dbox. Wanted the Central Station, but after talking with Bob Muller at Dangerous, he clearly mentioned that the Dbox has put many Central Stations to bed.

Question is, I have a 2bus LT which I love and right now with the Big Knob, which has been great for at least 4 years, no complaints here, I have to give up 2 channels of my second set of D/A to go into it for my Daw mix. If I get the Central Station or the Dbus, I'll have a spdif in which my interface has and I'll be able to sum on 16 channels. The central station has multiple inputs and 3 speaker choices while the Dbox only has two. Right now I have the luxury of having 3 speakers in play, my adams, the consumer reference Bose that I use and the sub. With the Dbox, I'll either have to buy a new sub with a footswitch, which I don't want to have to do, or get rid of the Bose, which is always an awesome reference to have since they seem to be the choice for most consumers. I understand the D/A on the Dbox is awesome and I'll be able to add 8 more channels of summing into the expansion in of my 2busLT once I get more D/A and as you all know, the difference in cost is quite different. I'd really like to keep all 3 speakers playing with ability to play the sub with both the Bose and the Adams.

Any advice would be great!!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
Not too sure about the reasoning for your little attack, but just to answer, my ADDA isn't a Prism or a AX24, it's a Digi 192. So there's a fair bit of improvement that could be made on the DA front, which hopefully the Avocet can provide.
My monitor controller is a custom made summing box using SSL parts (it cost about twice the price of an Avocet), and though I like it, I think can be improved on for various reasons on the monitor control side of things.
My room isn't crappy, over $100k was spent on it's construction. My expectations are high, to a degree, but it's probably not where your expectation is, unless of course the Avocet really is crap.
Do I have money to throw away? No. That's why I'm gathering information from users on the internet before I decide on what to demo or buy. As I mentioned before, I found your views of interest due to the fact that I hadn't seen anyone else criticize the Avocet as much as you did.
Hi dbjp,
I'm sorry, I confused you with the original poster - so you're only sorting out you monitoring DA? Anyway, I didn't mean to "attack", just making a point that one should try to get the best for their money and not be done with quick and popular solutions, at least in my world... which is why I make the time to properly demo gear and often buy just to try it. Anyway, the Avocet is "good" but not neutral, it obviously works for a lot of people ... I'm personally after something more transparent that hopefully won't affect my work (eqing). I will check the dangerous box out and hopefully the Crookwood next week, but since I also want more ADs and DAs the Mytek is on top of the list, also considering the value with the basic monitoring section thrown in. The converters are definitely tops, superior to Avocet if transparency is the criteria IMO.
I know it won't completely solve the monitoring issue but I'm happy to use my desk for talkback and tracking etc, it's when it comes to mixing and mastering that I want the best I can get. The only way I'm paying a lot of money just for a volume knob is if it REALLY IS transparent and the Avocet is not, even going in analog IMO.

If you're shopping for a monitoring DA, why not upgrade the Digi192s at the same time?
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ATTY

Bluesed

I recently got an aurora and ran into the same problem that you have (monitoring), however after the converter and a preamp my wallet was a little thin. I ended up getting an ATTY (from A designs), and it's held up great for me so far. Limited functionally, but great quality. It's passive, so minimal coloring. I'll be going for a Lavry DA10 once my pockets fill up again.

Jack
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
D-Box vs. Central Station

"I'm thinking about the Dbox. Wanted the Central Station, but after talking with Bob Muller at Dangerous, he clearly mentioned that the Dbox has put many Central Stations to bed."

OK, first off, how odd for the guy at the company who makes the product to say his stuff is better than the competition. In a related news flash, most people who work for Coca-Cola prefer it over Pepsi.

On the other hand, he's right. His product is better than the Central Station. But at $1400 for a D-Box vs. a Central Station that you can easily get for $450, even with the remote if you play your cards right, it had better be! Were you just going to burn the other grand lighting up stogies while knocking back Kristal with Puffy?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd be that, due to the DSUB/db25 nature of both products, strapping a Little Labs RedCloud onto half the outs on an Aurora 16 is one option worth considering. Plus then you have 6 more channels of passive attenuation for reamping through preamps.

I personally have no issues with a Coleman M3.
I don't feel any "air" is lost by using it. I used it with my Aurora 16, and still do long since i sold the Aurora 16.
Its heaps better than anything else for the price, and there is no question about reliability. For me, thats all i need.
Old 30th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➑️
aurora + monitorcontroler

Dangerousmusic D-box
Dangerousmusic ST
Cranesong Avocet (with separate DAC)

several others..

stay away from central station or big knob..

cheers
I don't know about that! I myself am looking to upgrade from the Big Knob, mainly because I want a clean desktop. It's a great full featured unit for the price. No problems here at all! Last I heard, The Matrix was using the Big Knob not that long ago and perhaps still are, who knows?. Guess you should have warned them before they went ahead and sold those millions of records!
I'm not trying to insult you, my point is,that great recordings can and have been made with gear that many here would "poo-poo" !
Whatever it takes that pleases your ears and get the job done gets my vote!

peace for '09 and beyond
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
- I went from central station which crapped out on me a couple of times and had to get sent back to the factory to get replaced to the Dangerous D-Box which I love (and have for sale now actually - PM me) for it's many features at a reasonable price to the Avocet which I'm still not 100% sure about...but I need something with a remote since my studio has grown...but I'm NOT going back to a central station...

- any avocet users who are annoyed with the slight hum in the headphone send ? I'm wondering if my unit needs a tune-up...the converters sound at least as good maybe better than the aurora16 i use - just upgraded from a digi192 - made a big difference actually...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yeah... I gotta call hooky fooky on the digs on the Central Station here. Sure... the ADC is average. But I don't use it. I use a 2192 and or Lynx Auroras and have found the Central Station to be outstanding. It is VERY transparent (recently a/b'd it and a DIRECT connection from the monitors to the speakers using the Lynx Aurora Converters.) We really couldn't tell in blind tests. I mean... it's passive...what more do you want?

Oh yeah... and when they FIRST came out, they did have some build problems, but they sorted that quickly and took care of everyone. I love mine... have been using it 5 or 6 years now with no issues.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I use the SM Pro Audio M Patch 2 after my Aurora. Works fine. Passive, cheap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Coleman M3PH MK2
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Aurora 16 - Ati8MX2 mixer section - SPL 2489 surround controller - BM15A's

or straight from the Aurora to the SPL ..

SPL was the most neutral then others that were tested ...
Old 5th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe ➑️
Yeah... I gotta call hooky fooky on the digs on the Central Station here. Sure... the ADC is average. But I don't use it. I use a 2192 and or Lynx Auroras and have found the Central Station to be outstanding. It is VERY transparent (recently a/b'd it and a DIRECT connection from the monitors to the speakers using the Lynx Aurora Converters.) We really couldn't tell in blind tests. I mean... it's passive...what more do you want?

Oh yeah... and when they FIRST came out, they did have some build problems, but they sorted that quickly and took care of everyone. I love mine... have been using it 5 or 6 years now with no issues.
I'm all about value for the money and buying stuff on the cheap when it doesn't matter, but the Central Station is not a piece of gear I'd ever want to own again. Great feature set, awful build quality.

The volume pot has poor LR balance in the quiet range, and it will fail if you use it enough. Had to replace mine after about a year of constant use. I also just had one of the headphone op amps burn out... for me that was the last straw. The DA was no better than a 003. All the knobs are cheap and I thought the headphone amp was very strident (although quite loud).
πŸ“ Reply