Quantcast
Single channel hardware EQ for pop/rock vocals? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Single channel hardware EQ for pop/rock vocals?
Old 25th January 2009

🎧 15 years
Single channel hardware EQ for pop/rock vocals?

Something for tracking and mixing. My buddy suggested the Tube Tech PE-1C.

I have a 1073 but there's something about the top end on the Neve EQ's that I don't like, I'm looking for something sweeter sounding. Mostly doing modern rock, pop and metal.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey James. This is an off the wall suggestion, but why don't you try out those Vacrac tube eq's that McCurry has. I loved the top end on them. The frequency selections are like an API 550A, but it's got the whole tube Vacrac thing going.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What are you hoping the EQ will do for you. Getting rid of ugly stuff or adding good stuff are two different EQ recommendations.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
GML 2032 ! the most versatile vocal EQ on planet earth..
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️

I have a 1073 but there's something about the top end on the Neve EQ's that I don't like, I'm looking for something sweeter sounding. Mostly doing modern rock, pop and metal.
gotten to try a Buzz Tonic, James? it can be very versatile in the highend, and is definitely sweet sounding up there.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll bring my Amtec down for you to try . . . . .
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k ➑️
gotten to try a Buzz Tonic, James? it can be very versatile in the highend, and is definitely sweet sounding up there.
YES....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for the Amtec. A Pultec for less dough.

Not to highjack the thread, but I am looking for a vocal eq also. I use a GR alot but its just a bit bright on the high end. I like the Amtec but would be stoked if I could find a 500 series module that worked well. Anyone using the A Designs PEQ? If the Buzz tonic can play in the same space as the Amtec I will be all over it.

A second question. When you are mixing a vocal chain I have heard rumors about too many tube devices in the chain. Is there an issue with running Tube Mic-->Tube Pre-->Tube EQ---> Tube Comp? Thanks!
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
A second question. When you are mixing a vocal chain I have heard rumors about too many tube devices in the chain. Is there an issue with running Tube Mic-->Tube Pre-->Tube EQ---> Tube Comp? Thanks!
The chain on mixdown is where the vocals are either won or lost. Sometimes a solid state chain is the thing and sometimes an all tube chain works best. Sometimes its a combination of the two. The only way to really know is to experiment & try different combinations. To answer your last question the answer can be no because not all tube devices are "warm" sounding units. Some tube comps are very neutral sounding and less colored than a solid state counterpart.
Old 26th January 2009

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
Something for tracking and mixing. My buddy suggested the Tube Tech PE-1C.

Yes, the 1073 is not exactly the sweetest EQ around, and the fixed 12k can sometimes sound spitty.

Maybe have Avedis let you borrow an E27 or check out a Pultec style EQ... or get a real Pultec if you are feeling particularly slutty.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'd second suggestion of trying the Amtec.
That's what I'm using for many applications and it works really great. Very versatile indeed!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Avedis' EQ has an insane top-end. I assume that's what you're looking for.

I think we tried it out before he released it. I remember loving that "air" band.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My suggestion is try an old Telefunken/ANT w695b or a neumann w491a, they have stepped controls like the api's but sound sweeter to me. If you know a good tech you can get them modded for 1 db steps, but yeah they are sort of edgy like ssl's but much nicer sound in my opinion. They have a superb mid range and top end and a very sweet bottom end too.

Or a Lawo 995/10 they sound sweet too but a little darker maybe and a touch less edgy.

I'm actually addicted to these things, killer on drums too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another vote for the E27 here, very cool eq for "popsound" air. thumbsup
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Portico 5033's 25 khz air is very impressive on vocals. Give it a try.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy ➑️
Not to highjack the thread, but I am looking for a vocal eq also. I use a GR alot but its just a bit bright on the high end. I like the Amtec but would be stoked if I could find a 500 series module that worked well.
jlm peq500 is huge!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Add another vote for the E27. Avedis's EQ is absolutely wonderful. I think it could be a great EQ alternative for what you're looking for.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
James, have you tried the Fearn?
VT-4 Eq
Very expensive, but if you want sweetness on top without losing *anything* this is it. It's just insane, especially if, uh, size matters... Rent one before you decide on the rest.
Old 24th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Psidex PEQ-1 is my newest fave!
Psidex Audio Laboratory
πŸ“ Reply