Quantcast
Is there any way of using a G5 with Mix system like a Magma expansion? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there any way of using a G5 with Mix system like a Magma expansion?
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Is there any way of using a G5 with Mix system like a Magma expansion?

I want to upgrade my G4 Dual to a G5 dual and use OSX for my Digidesign Mix system. Is there a way of being able to use the Mix cards with a G5, like maybe an expansion chassis of some sort that still uses a PCI slot?

If there is, is it stable?
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mix and G5

No! I've tried, and it's a painful waste of time. You have to decide whether to upgrade the cards or stay where you are. Or, move to a core based audio device and give up on TDM.

I chose to upgrade my cards.

Goodluck
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think there would be a problem using PCI cards in a PCI-X system like the G5. Theoretically, it ought to work, but it would slow down the entire system to PCI speed, which is half that of PCI-X.

But I have a 32-bit PCI 7-slot expansion chassis I'll sell you for *super cheap* if you want to find out...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…