Quantcast
Best mixing headphones? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones?
Old 25th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Best mixing headphones?

Tuesday i will head to guitar center and pick up a pair of headphones...

i owned a 770 beyerdynamic... the right speaker fizzled out...sent it in

that really pissed me off and had me leaning towards the proline...with their detatchable wiring

but as far as the headphones that will give me the best mix possible

what would you guys recommend

should i buy the beyerdynamics back...or go proline?

or any other suggestions?
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Beyerdynamics DT 990 Open. Love em, so do all of my fellow studio owner friends. Never had an issue with them.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i wouldn't suggest mixing on headphones first of all!

the sony mdr 7506s are pretty standard over here for general use.

i've stuck with those for many years now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AT ATH-M50's will surprise you. They almost sound like being in a room with nice full range speakers, it's uncanny. Don't let their low price offend you....

Wouldn't dare try to mix on Sony 7506's.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➑️
AT ATM50's will surprise you. They almost sound like being in a room with nice full range speakers, it's uncanny. Don't let their low price offend you....

Wouldn't dare try to mix on Sony 7506's.
i would't dare mix on ANY headphones.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle ➑️
i would't dare mix on ANY headphones.
Nether would I..............except the ATH-M50's are sooo good, they really sound like a set of good speakers, that I could really imagine mixing on them.

The OP should do a search on the ATH-M50 here. Here is one thread to start him off with Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones are AWESOME

(oh and I edited my original post since I called them ATM, when it is actually ATH's)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
try the bose headphones.... amazing...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I concur with not mixing on headphones. However, I have to say that the Sennheiser 650s would be what I'd use if I HAD to. Extremely accurate and flat.

Sony 7506s are standards, but they are hyped to all hell, and their closed back causes weird phase stuff. I had to location record using those once, and they was all kinds of **** I didn't ear until I got in to a real studio. They are not accurate my any means.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPro ➑️

?
GC should have the ATM-50's there + others, you should be able to try them all out there. Bring your favorite CD's
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPro ➑️

i owned a 770 beyerdynamic... the right speaker fizzled out...sent it in

that really pissed me off and had me leaning towards the proline...with their detatchable wiring

but as far as the headphones that will give me the best mix possible

what would you guys recommend

should i buy the beyerdynamics back...or go proline?

or any other suggestions?
I use these all the time for reference ONLY !!!, they are perfect.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AKG K701. No question, the most accurate and detailed commercial headphones currently made.

DT 770's are great for tracking though - lots of isolation and great bass, pretty darn good response.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
However, I have to say that the Sennheiser 650s would be what I'd use if I HAD to. Extremely accurate and flat.
I would describe the 650s as warm, rich, full, sweet, and ultimately muddy; definitely not flat or accurate. They do tame nasties though. The 600s are more neutral but similar.

The AKG K701s are much more neutral. The ATH M50s are great for budget cans. The new Denon AH D5000 and AH D7000 are killer, closed backed, neutral and expensive; the best dynamic headphones I've tried. I own and use all of them.

I never liked the Sony cans either.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
mixing on headphones? tutt Can you say narrow imaging, uncontrolled bass and over hyped highs?

if I HAD to choose though I'd get the DT770pro again. I found the 7506's to be over hyped in the 10-12 k region.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
own the AKG K701's and they really are the most neutral and open headphones you'll ever hear. I've been forced to do a rough mix on them before and was surprised when I took them back to my well treated mix room.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DT770. I mix on phones 60% of the time. Got to get those voices inside the head where they belong so you can start doing what they tell you to.

"Kill those supradental explosives, kill those supradental explosives..."

Works for me!

PS One creature's leisure time is another creature's lunch
Trp
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
IΒ΄d say STAX, no competion.

For dynamic (and affordable) HPs Sennheiser HD600 is my favorite. HD650 doesnΒ΄t sound flat to me, itΒ΄s more of a HP to be impressed listening to music.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I would seriously never mix on cans. It's not real in there!

I have Sennheiser 650s for final mix reference, but never for mixing!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like Grado SR60's. I wanted a pair of headphones that allowed me to do some useful work on them. These work well for me. I never work for hours on end listening to them but the changes I make while I am listening translate well when I flip back to my monitors.

I don't drive them too loud, and they have a balanced soundstage.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
IMO K701, for headphones, translate very well. at least give them consideration.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall ➑️
I like Grado SR60's...
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're *only* mixing on headphones, without any other point of reference ... well, enough has been said about that already on this thread.

But otherwise, I thought I'd add a mention of the Beyerdynamic DT880s, which IMO are the best pick for low fatigue and reference decisions that translate. thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Agreed that good neutral transparent truly reference grade headphones, a rare thing, are invaluable as an alternative non room dependent reference and for hearing deeply into the details.

Not new news but, headphones, albeit cheap ones, are becoming the main listening medium for many, perhaps most, listeners. We may need to shift our paradigm around what we're mixing for.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HD600's sound amazingly close to my threeway speakers, which is good. I might feel safe mixing on them, if I had to... DT770 are the fave among the vocalists for recording, but they are very hyped both in the higs and lows, so you would need to learn how to mix on those.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone experience with one of these crossfeed headphone amps, which supposedly address some of the problems?
SPL Phonitor Headphone Monitoring Amplifier Review in Mix magazine product review of the SPL Phonitor Headphone Monitoring Amplifier

I guess they might work for some, who happen to have a HRTF that resembles the one used in the Amp. But out of head localization does not work without a head tracker unfortunately.

This headphone amp is interesting for location recording and broadcasting vans, where often headphones must be used...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
OK GUYS SO HERES MY LIST

from all the opinions that ive read here...and i've read carefully

you guys have listed the following high end sets

AKG K701 (available at Guitar Center)

Denon AH D5000 (unavailable)

Sennheiser HD 600 (available)

Beyerdynamics DT880s (available)

now out of those 4...for someone who has listened to at least 2 of them....start picking your favorite and eliminating from that list

THE WINNER...gets picked up this tuesday in a plastic bag
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beyerdynamic DT880s are good for a reference if you are mixing with the idea that most of the time your tracks will be played back through headphones. The fact is, most people listen to music nowadays through headphones.

Another option would be Ultrasone Pro 2500. Satisfactory for mixing, especially if you want reasonable translation to speakers. The Ultrasone headphones use a non-standard driver placement which involves the shape of the ear in the perception of sound, thereby providing a fairly convincing near-field effect - different to all other headphones and some argue that they sound like speakers.

There are also Pro 900 which are closed, they are considerably more expensive and I really couldn't justify the price difference, if you had the money you could try the Pro 900 and the Pro 2500 to see which model you prefer, frankly to my ears the Pro 900 have a similar sonic signature to the 2500 which are an open model.

Sound staging on the DT880 is excellent for your traditional headphone type imaging, even though it tends to be artificially wide, but the bass isn't as powerful as the Ultrasone models I mentioned. You need a halfway decent headphone amp to drive the DT880 whereas the Ultrasones are more forgiving of headphone amps as they are easier to drive to decent volume levels, even still they do scale well with better headphone amps. Rudistor amps are considered the gold standard for any headphones, and they truly shine with either the Beyerdynamics and Ultrasones.

If you are mixing on headphones, consider using Ultrasone Pro900/Pro2500 or DT880s. The bass isn't emphasised on the DT880 headphone certainly not to the same extent as the Pro900/Pro2500, but the bass on the DT880s is of excellent quality.

Ben
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneinaPond ➑️
+1

+2

I also have the RS1
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge ➑️
try the bose headphones.... amazing...

Has anyone else had experience with the Bose headphones? Are you refering to Bose's noise cancelling headphones? How much do the ones you have cost?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Tolentino ➑️
mixing on headphones? tutt Can you say narrow imaging, uncontrolled bass and over hyped highs?

if I HAD to choose though I'd get the DT770pro again. I found the 7506's to be over hyped in the 10-12 k region.
+1!! Totally agree.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My Sennheiser 650s sound pretty much the same as my K+H 0300Ds. Wouldn't mix on cans though.
πŸ“ Reply