Quantcast
Best mixing headphones? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AKG 701s

After about 200 hours of burn in time, these babies are simply the best cans for mixing. They are so neutral, it is amazing.

Of course, you should check your mix with monitors and when I do, I have to make just a few minor adjustments.

Another note, these are pretty expensive but I found a new pair on the net for less than $250.

An important note on these (and other open cans) is that you can't use these for monitoring headphones when tracking with an open MIC. There simply is too much sound on the outside of these cans.

But, check these out, they are really outstanding.

Jim
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades ➡️
The Beyer are just fine.
HD600 with a balanced dedicated amp like this and a good cable such as Cardas are a killer beast! Trust me.
A friend of mine owns this balanced system with the 600's and uses it with satisfaction, even for critical passages.
Old 30th April 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
does it really depend on what headphones you prepare your mix for mixing on a monitoring system if you are used to them? I use hd25s for everything, listening music from ipod, making rough mixes and watching movies, you get a good idea on how things have to sound if you listen to them with the same gear all the time...having too many choices may confuse the hearing instead of teaching it. it all depends on how your mixes translate, you have to test that - by that theory one should even be able to mix on standard apple earplugs, and I think it is possible, you will do have a lot of trial and error but it works in the end..
Old 30th April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie ➡️
Sennhieser HD 600's or 650's with good headphone amp!heh
Resurrecting an old thread:
I would add the Sennheiser HD-800 to the list.
I bought these after reading a zillion reviews by people who either had just paid a lot of money for them, or who were magazine writers who are ultimately paid by their advertisers.
They don't touch your ears, instead floating over and around them.
They do not isolate against external sound.
Even if the hd-600 are revealing, the 800 are a leap forward.
If you prefer a more forward, brighter, crisper, unmuffled, detailed rendition that emphasizes rosin flying off the bow, fingers working the frets or letting you hear the action of the piano, you'll love these Sennheiser HD 800.
You still need a dedicated amp for mixing task.
I've tested many, then my choice was the HPBA-2 from QES Labs.
It's a balanced amp, very flat, it doesn't add any color, and this is what I need from a monitoring system, a perfect match for the 800.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehmman ➡️
Resurrecting an old thread:
I would add the Sennheiser HD-800 to the list.
I bought these after reading a zillion reviews by people who either had just paid a lot of money for them, or who were magazine writers who are ultimately paid by their advertisers.
They don't touch your ears, instead floating over and around them.
They do not isolate against external sound.
Even if the hd-600 are revealing, the 800 are a leap forward.
If you prefer a more forward, brighter, crisper, unmuffled, detailed rendition that emphasizes rosin flying off the bow, fingers working the frets or letting you hear the action of the piano, you'll love these Sennheiser HD 800.
You still need a dedicated amp for mixing task.
I've tested many, then my choice was the HPBA-2 from QES Labs.
It's a balanced amp, very flat, it doesn't add any color, and this is what I need from a monitoring system, a perfect match for the 800.
I have been using the HD 800 for three years since it first came out - and, yes, it is a great leap forward.

I have been using it with the Grace m902b until earlier this year, when I upgraded to the new Grace m903.
joh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Beyerdynamic T70 with SPL Phonitor here.
Old 30th April 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
To have a control about kick and bass relation I would recommand the Ultrasone PRO2900. It sounds like big monitors.

For general mixing and monitoring I like the Ultrasone Signature Pro.

A less expensive alternative or also for general work I use the SHURE SRH940.

Sudad G
Old 1st May 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I use AKG 702's, and Sennheiser HD-650's... The 702's for detailed treble and the 650's for more accurate bass... These two headphones are VERY different sounding and both give an excellent perspective of your mix.. There's no question accurate monitors & room are the most critical mixing tool, but contrary to popular thought here I think it's very important to mix on headphones as well as every single ****ty speaker you can get your music through... No consumer is listening to your mixes on a $14,000 pair of speakers... If the mix doesn't rock on crappy ipod earbuds, you still have work to do...

my 2 cents.
Old 1st May 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The ATH M50's are great cheaper cans but if you have the $$ like many others the Beyer DT880 are a clear choice...obviously pretty standard reference cans.
📝 Reply