Best mixing headphones? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mixing headphones?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
a couple more quick notes:

The ATH-M50s are again, great for the money, but are a little muddy in comparison to higher end stuff such as the AKG K701s which are more transparent, open and a little brighter. THe M50s are quite comfortable with a very nice head band feel, but the ear cups are on the small size so they infringe on my ears, which are not particularly large. The 701s are the opposite in that the ear cups are quite oversized but the head band presses on the top ridge of my skull in long sessions. The Sennheisers are very comfortable but have slightly small earcups although very cushy. The Denons are the most comfortable for me and the most articulate. The bass clarity is astounding on the 7000s.

I just talked with Denon and they confirmed that all the models will be available in a week or so to select dealers, of which I am honored to be one. It looks like the new Sennheiser 800s, which sound very promising but even more expensive, will be another couple months.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just a random vote for my two fav's so far:

i've had my Sennheiser HD280's for a long time now and have grown to trust them considerably.
They're the most comfortable on my ears, and i know the sound. The imaging and depth translates pretty well. +1 for that.
however,
the new yamaha RH10MS are pretty killer in my book, the low end on them is what attracts me the most, and pretty clear/accurate low-mid.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➑️
I would describe the 650s as warm, rich, full, sweet, and ultimately muddy; definitely not flat or accurate.
Absolutely NOT the case with the ones I own. They are so flat that I can hear the crossover points on my speakers when I A/B back and forth. Mine are extremely detailed, and not hyped like every other headphone I've heard.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
Absolutely Mine are extremely detailed, and not hyped like every other headphone I've heard.
You, like me, may not like hype, but if you use them as your reference, your mixes will be.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
We can assume you don't sell Sennheiser then.

As an HD600 owner, I have the first-hand experience to know when they're getting an inaccurate rap.

Accurate detail is what I want from headphones, which is why I've settled on them, with the custom Cardas cable, and with a great preamp. With all this they tell a story similar to that of my reference system, which tells few lies. True, they're not perfect, and I'd never mix with them, but there's never been a problem with a mix that has made it past the 600s and later showed up somewhere else, and THAT'S what I use them for.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➑️
We can assume you don't sell Sennheiser then.
Actually, I do, and have for many years, and I love them for what they do, but IMHO they error in the forementioned direction and this post is about a quest for neutral mixing headphones. Plus you're talking about the 600s, I was talking about the 650s as it plainly says. If you did your homework and read the entire thread, and more carefully, you'd notice this and that I mention earlier that I prefer your 600s regarding neutrality, although I still think they lean in the same direction. My views are shared by the general consensus of experienced headphone aficionados as you can discover if you research. The Cardas cable and a good amp help as you know.

One of the reasons I sell stuff is because I want to provide an honest service to those who wish to benefit from my passion, experience and sensibilities. I'm sure I'm not alone in that and I feel sad for those, like yourself, who assume a jaded point of view. Understandable, but it's your loss. Please think twice and do more homework before spreading your own assumptions about good people. IMHO, this forum can benefit just as much from the experience of those in the sales end of this business as much as the end users who don't choose to share their experience through sales. Please don't discourage us. We might go away.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermuse ➑️
Forgive me for not reading the thread, but I'll just toss another voice out there to simply say that you can't mix with head phones. tutt

Sometimes they can help to place something in a 'space' but you can't mix with headphones.tutt
Is it written in the Bible?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour ➑️
Is it written in the Bible?
Well the Bible tells us not to eat prawns.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Beyer are just fine.
HD600 with a balanced dedicated amp like this and a good cable such as Cardas are a killer beast! Trust me.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermuse ➑️
Forgive me for not reading the thread, but I'll just toss another voice out there to simply say that you can't mix with head phones. tutt
Shouldn't there be an 'I' in there somewhere?

r,
j,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cognitive dissonance in mid action is a beauty to watch!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineville ➑️
Well the Bible tells us not to eat prawns.
Ah...I like prawns... And headphones for mixing. What a sinful existence.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Some nice tips in here...

I left my pair of Beyer 770 pros on the busy, industry filled plane back from NAMM show last year... quite predictably when i told staff and they went to look for them for me they had miraculously vanished! :-(

I've found myself having to learn to mix on headphones in recent years as fitting my engineering round my other job very often means late nights - which aren't very compatible with my 5 year old son in terms of having the main monitors blaring!

The beyers's were definitely superior for the task over my akg 271's, but i have also been surprised at how well my cheap sennheiser HD201's handle the job.

Im still leaning to the Beyers, but i'm going to try out some other suggestions in this thread, thanks guys.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadden Heart ➑️
Just a random vote for my two fav's so far:

i've had my Sennheiser HD280's for a long time now and have grown to trust them considerably.
They're the most comfortable on my ears, and i know the sound. The imaging and depth translates pretty well. +1 for that.
however,
the new yamaha RH10MS are pretty killer in my book, the low end on them is what attracts me the most, and pretty clear/accurate low-mid.
I love these for tracking - great mid-range clarity, and very comfy

The spec says the go from 8HZ >>> 25K which is very wide. However, again I can't judge the bottom end as the lows are somewhat attenuated (the pain of closed-back designs ) - Apparently they are already 3db down at 50Hz, and 10db down at 8hz
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a set of Sennheiser HD600 cans with an aftermarket cable from Stefan Audioart. The cable that comes with the HD600s is of relatively poor quality - my one broke, twice, and after shelling out Β£50 on the first occasion to replace it I decided to go for something a bit better. The aftermarket cable was quite expensive and the improvement in audio quality quite minor, but the cable is built like a tank and has already outlasted the manufacturer-provided cables.

Whilst I prefer to do my mixes through monitors rather than headphones, I frequently turn to the HD600s to make sure the mix sounds good through them too, and I use them extensively in establishing a nice, detailed stereo image - personally I feel you can be more precise in this respect if you use headphones a little.

I'm a n00b though. Probably best to not listen to me :>

-Annikk
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
+1 for Ultrasone pro900.
I recently got a pair after spending 3 yrs on grado sr60 and I must say a big step further.I usually mix on BM15's so to me mids are still a bit straight, but the detail on bass and transients in general is awesome plus it's perfect to check on subtile reverbs and stuff like that.
Best thing about them is that your ears won't get stressed easily
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I use my old Sennheiser HD-25 for reference only there light and sill not broken
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ultrasone Pro900 are definately awesome headphones. I already have the Proline2500, so maybe getting the Pro900 wouldn't justify the extra spend.

I can mix with the 2500s and get a translation that is almost there, but I need just a bit more info in the mids to get the translation perfectly.

The way they emulate a nearfield is spectacular. I turn on the speakers, then put on the headphones and turn off the speakers. The only difference is a 20-25% increase in the width of the stereo image. Everything else is pretty much intact, including depth cues, reverb tails, diffusion, delays, compression, and of course, deep bass that just about no other headphone could ever reproduce on the same level these phones can output.

Some say they pump out too much bass, but as a musician who has heard dozens of speaker systems I can say that the bass is pretty much spot on. To me bass forms the foundation of music, without a bass line the song doesn't seem to be felt, and unless we're talking about a simple piano + vocals song (probably live recorded, or solo piano recording with vocal overdub), then serious and strong bass is essential to me. It is the same reason why I use a subwoofer with my nearfields. I would never do a mix on headphones myself, but if it is possible to mix on cans it would have to be the ultrasones. For me, a closed HP isn't that good, an open HP design is going to be better. I'm still waiting for the Ultrasone Pro3000 (the open version of the Pro900).

Ben
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'll second upgrading your cable from Stefanart - Will improve the quality of your sound significantly.

I have listened extensively to the Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD25-1 II and AKG k701. While i would never use any of them to mix, i'd agree using headphones for reference is extremely useful. I think in terms of translation, the k701 would top my list, although i don't own a pair, i've just taken a set home from work and used it a fair bit. I was given a set of HD25s from a very generous donor, and they're brilliant, but absolutely useless to mix with.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital ➑️
For me, a closed HP isn't that good, an open HP design is going to be better.
I've found the Denons to be the exception, with the 7000s to have the cleanest deepest bass I've heard.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➑️
AT ATH-M50's will surprise you. They almost sound like being in a room with nice full range speakers, it's uncanny. Don't let their low price offend you....

Wouldn't dare try to mix on Sony 7506's.

+2
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
After trying a few different things I've found I don't like my ATH-M50s as much as I originally had.

They were great for emphasis on the panning of my material and they're great for hearing up close the texture of your material, but when it came down to getting a good concept of what's in front in the mix and behind it was a trainwreck. By the time I had the lowend heard in the headphones, it was much too aggressive on other references like my car. Getting the vocals to stand out took a few back and forth sessions. I really tried to learn the headphones, but I just couldn't feel comfortable with any of the choices I was making.

So in short, they can get you in the ballpark, but don't get fooled into thinking they're a replacement for monitors (atleast the ATH-M50s that is). I seriously spent 1/10th of the time I did mixing on the ATH-M50s with my Yamaha MSP7 monitors and ended up with a mix that translated a million times better.
Lux
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi, I actually like Koss pro 4aa T. First I really disliked them,(dull) was used to Beyerdynamic DT 250, but now when I am used to them, and I also think they have changed after break-in, I find them to be the headphone in my studio that most reminds me about my monitors (the other are DT 250 and AKG 240 II).
And you can listen long time without fatigue.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sennhieser HD 600's or 650's with good headphone amp!heh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1 SENNHEISER HD-650
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mixing on What!

Righto chaps! over here in good old Blighty we have the new active subwoofer type

These of course replace the somewhat older but still very good, passive BBC pattern jobbies!

Awfully good for mixing that new hi-pity hop-ity music donch'a know old chap, Pip pip and all that rot!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've never really had much luck trying to mix on headphones, but if you're looking for something to check your mixes on, whynot those ear buds everyone uses with their ipods? If a lot of people are going to be listening to your mixes then a good percentage of them will be listening on something similar to those.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ultrasone Proline 750's
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not dt-100's
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote: