Quantcast
Massive Passive smokes! - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Massive Passive smokes!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
solidstate: I'll will ask my Japanese agents about their pricing and see why the Japanese local prices are so high. Thank you for making me aware of the situation.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-96 Mastering ➡️
If you don't know how another country's tax system works (and I'm not saying you should... I don't have a clue how US states' sales taxes work either), you should not be lecturing on it, let alone make moral judgements. If you do, it just looks/sounds funny... in a "Michael from The Office" kinda way.
Robin, whatever with that. I'm just saying that people in the EU are complaining that they have to pay more because of taxes. I don't now if it's the VAT or what. I'm just pointing out that you guys get taxed differently, and enjoy benefits that we in the US do not, as we are not paying those taxes. I'm not claiming to know how the VAT system works. I'm just pointing out to people complaining about taxes what they get in return. I'm not lecturing anybody.

Get it?

BTW, I don't watch the Office, so your insult is lost on me.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
Robin, whatever with that. I'm just saying that people in the EU are complaining that they have to pay more because of taxes. I don't now if it's the VAT or what. I'm just pointing out that you guys get taxed differently, and enjoy benefits that we in the US do not, as we are not paying those taxes. I'm not claiming to know how the VAT system works. I'm just pointing out to people complaining about taxes what they get in return. I'm not lecturing anybody.
Sorry, lecturing was a bad choice of words. If anyone is lecturing, I guess it's me. You're just really mixing things up and making a judgement on that.

The taxing structure in a EU country has no direct influence on the cost of a unit (as long as the buyer buys the unit for his business and can deduct VAT). The indirect influence is limited to the distributor's cut. And that too cancels out because yes, he has to pay higher income tax on his earnings, but in turn, he gets insurance for "free". And I trust that in the US, distributors make enough to afford basic health care too.

Either way, that was the whole point I tried to make. Noone working in audio or with music is or ever was bypassing local distributors to "save taxes". There are no taxes to be saved.

When folks over here (at least in this thread) are complaining about local prices of imported gear, they are NOT complaining about taxes. That's the whole point. They are complaining about someone, somewhere in the supply chain being too greedy. (Manley prices are OK here in Germany, I should add)

Quote:
BTW, I don't watch the Office, so your insult is lost on me.
That's a shame... it's hilarious. And it was meant to amuse, not to insult.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ah, I thought somebody mentioned that the taxes were a big reason. My bad.

I watched the English version a couple times. Never watched the American one. I love "Extras," though. I saw every single one of those.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After being gone for a couple of days and coming back to this thread, I have to hand it to EveAnna for being way more cooler than I would have been if it were me instead. To be called names and such would have taken me belong the point of boiling and heads would roll! Instead, she took it in stride and was able to just shrug it off.

That's amazing. It takes alot to be able to do that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
After being gone for a couple of days and coming back to this thread, I have to hand it to EveAnna for being way more cooler than I would have been if it were me instead. To be called names and such would have taken me belong the point of boiling and heads would roll! Instead, she took it in stride and was able to just shrug it off.

That's amazing. It takes alot to be able to do that.
To be fair, she's representing a company in public. Had she taken the approach that you suggest, it probably would have been her job on the line. So no, I think it's normal.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX ➡️
I agree with this post. For example, Bryston amps. A studio standard amplifier. It doesn't matter how many people have owned the amp. 20 year warranty on their amps is valid for any owner (1st -last), any country. I wish all companies believe in their products like Bryston. I have sent two decade old amps to them for repair.

Only one of amps had a very slight issue after 16 years of use, the other was working well and was my mistake for thinking that the amp had gone bad. I was not the original owner for either of them, nor did I buy them new from a dealer. They fixed them, shipped them back for free, up to 20 years from the date it was made, guaranteed. Now, thats the kind of company, that I would keep buying from and keep spreading the good word for. Good customer service is profit as well.
Got to say Pass Labs offers the same kind of extraordinary customer service as well. I bought my Pass Labs X250 second hand - and unbeknown to me in a bit of really bad luck my studio's roof developed a leak one night during a severe rain storm directly over where my amp was sitting! I came into the studio the next morning oblivious to all of this, turned the amp on and then watched smoke come out of it - quickly turned it off and let it dry out - but one of the channels had completely burned out.

I sent it back to Pass Labs and they fixed it for FREE!! - even though I was the second owner, the damage was obviously of no fault of theirs, and it was a good bit older than any standard warranty would have had covered - I only had to pay the cost of shipping back to me.

Now that's customer service!! and an amazing sounding amp as well - Pass Labs

Best regards,
Steve Berson

🎧 15 years
Back to Japan,
this Manley dealer, Soundhouse, runs right near US retail prices.

Prices appear to be around 10% over US retail which considering high transportation costs and import duties, is not bad at all.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️
When I first started this thread, I had no idea that it would continue this way.
See what ya did! tutt

J/k ofcourse heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd62au ➡️
There's no way you can get that kind of wamth ITB.
LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveAnna Manley ➡️
Back to Japan,
this Manley dealer, Soundhouse, runs right near US retail prices.

Prices appear to be around 10% over US retail which considering high transportation costs and import duties, is not bad at all.
Yeah, it´s easy to forget that it costs money to ship gear and that the local dealer also does a valuable job and rightly needs to get paid. Europe is the same and has actually gotten a lot better. Rewind a couple of years and if the US dollar went up, the prices went up - US dollar backed down and the prices stayed the same... until the next time the dollar went up... Luckily I haven´t seen that in a long time.

Along the same lines, European gear is generally more expensive in the US than in Europe for the very same reasons.

note: this is not specific to Manley in any way, just in general.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've read through this entire thread and I've got to say this is one of the craziest I've seen in awhile. heh

Peace and Dove and God bless us everyone!
Old 10th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I must say that i have massive passive UNIT and IM not too happy what i see inside of that BOX!!! but box i working great
whan I was instaling MP in rack me and my friend notice....guess what

JAMICON CAPACITORS INSIDE!!!!

and as far as I know that are poorest quality caps !!
and that is just around place where on this video smoke coming out of MP

I hope mine will live long enough

anyway ... JAMICONS are poor quality and they claim they made MP of hi-end components

in the other hand I have no bad expirience with manley stuff
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator ➡️
I must say that i have massive passive UNIT and IM not too happy what i see inside of that BOX!!! but box i working great
whan I was instaling MP in rack me and my friend notice....guess what

JAMICON CAPACITORS INSIDE!!!!

and as far as I know that are poorest quality caps !!
and that is just around place where on this video smoke coming out of MP

I hope mine will live long enough

anyway ... JAMICONS are poor quality and they claim they made MP of hi-end components

in the other hand I have no bad expirience with manley stuff
Just to clarify: Back somewhere around 2003 there were some Massives that went out with those caps in them, and when this was noticed those Jamicons were promptly rounded up from the entire factory and BANISHED! tutt Since then (and before that time as well), we've used Nichicons and Cornells. Apologies for the oversight at the time, and it's been corrected. Happy to hear you haven't had a bad experience though!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisD ➡️
Just to clarify: Back somewhere around 2003 there were some Massives that went out with those caps in them, and when this was noticed those Jamicons were promptly rounded up from the entire factory and BANISHED! tutt Since then (and before that time as well), we've used Nichicons and Cornells. Apologies for the oversight at the time, and it's been corrected. Happy to hear you haven't had a bad experience though!
what to do
should i replace them or what...I just dont like jamicon caps... I have bad expirience!!!!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator ➡️
what to do
should i replace them or what...I just dont like jamicon caps... I have bad expirience!!!!
Well, as they say, "if it ain't broke"...here's my opinion: Not EVERY cap that left the Jamicon factory was prone to failure. There are good and bad batches of components from any company. We have Massives out there in the field with those caps that have never had a problem in 10 years of use. If you've never experienced any issues, don't bother replacing them. Even if they DID decide to go the way of the dinosaur some day, nothing else would be damaged inside the unit, and you can easily replace them (or have us do it).

If you're REALLY nervous about them drying out and dying on you, getting some Nichicons is not expensive. It's your call, but I honestly would recommend leaving it be.
Old 11th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
k thanx

will leave
for now

🎧 15 years
Some Jamicon 33uF 450V caps were used between 1997 to 2001. The caps in your unit have lasted about ten years without problem so far. Like Chris says, leave well enough alone. If the unit starts humming, it is time for a re-cap. No biggie. Contact our service department when that time comes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If your unit starts humming, give it some lyrics to sing instead.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
If your unit starts humming, give it some lyrics to sing instead.
If it does starts singing, then it has obviously become sentient. This might be worrisome. Contact Paul at our service center immediately, and for goodness' sake, DON'T LET IT OUT OF YOUR SIGHT!
📝 Reply