Quantcast
Massive Passive smokes! - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Massive Passive smokes!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread started out mildly amusing and ended up being hilarious! How 'bout that?

So lemme get this straight: Grey market=used? you'll have to excuse my ignorance!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveAnna Manley ➑️
This is my 20th year in this biz so I come typing to you with vast experience managing worldwide distribution of audio gear in both pro studio and high end Hifi markets. This tradtionsl distribution model we employ certainly is not unique to Manley Labs, and it does function well, whether you understand how or why is works or not.

I build and sell gear around the world and that's what I do for a living. You guys record music and that's your field of expertise. Fair to say?
yeah but you don't have to be a weiner about it. I own a multidiscipline business.... ta very much. "record music" is merely part of it.....

You weren't jokin - obviously, otherwise you wouldn't have to try and defend yer actions. I too run a business. A big one as it happens. Bigger than yours in fact ( heh)....My services and products are warrantied as much as a real customer needs....It's not always and exclusively about the bottom line. Calling someone stupid .... the wise business person just keeps schtum....

bit pathetic really.....

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➑️

again, though, i'm sure most high-end clients can attest to manley's product and customer service.

see.... that's the weird thing. Until this thread came along I held Manley in utmost high regard. I own a lot of Manley gear. I recommend it to everyone I work with. But now I kind of don't feel the same about that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Serves him right buying a grey market USA unit and being too stupid to know that a 120volt unit is going to smoke when fed 240v. RTFM and support your local dealer and too bad about the warranty you do not have.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
Dear EveAnna Manley,

narcoman has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Massive Passive on fire! - in the High end forum of Gearslutz.com.

This thread is located at:
https://gearspace.com/board/high-end...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by EveAnna Manley)---
This is my 20th year in this biz so I come typing to you with vast experience managing worldwide distribution of audio gear in both pro studio and high end Hifi markets. This tradtionsl distribution model we employ certainly is not unique to Manley Labs, and it does function well, whether you understand how or why is works or not.

I build and sell gear around the world and that's what I do for a living. You guys record music and that's your field of expertise. Fair to say?
---End Quote---
yeah but you don't have to be a cu.nt about it.

"i do this, i do that".... well let me tell you missy. I make more money than you do.

pathetic.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Gearslutz.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What happened to that post, narcoman? What you wrote above is what showed up in my inbox this morning. Nice way to start the morning, thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is kinda sad. When I first started this thread, I had no idea that it would continue this way.

What struck me as VERY odd was why the hell that guy didn't unplug the MP at once - something which was clarified a bit later.

If you read carefully in the YouTube video, EveAnna apologised for her accusation which is good because I am sure she has seen this before much in the same way that I know that Manley products and support is great). Things got a little out of temper, there is no need to call each other names and there is certainly no need to jump into conclusions about Manley from a single post. Let's be polite and civilized. Please?

Anyway, I am eyeing the Massive for a long time now and I think I am going to get it by March. In fact I am doing my "homework" already, but the dealer told me that Manley can't give a fixed price and that MPs are going to go very high.

I wonder why is that, now that the world is economic turmoil... EveAnna, care to comment on this?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What happened to that post, narcoman? What you wrote above is what showed up in my inbox this morning. Nice way to start the morning, thanks.
yeah. It was over rude. My apologies.

The point stands though - bad form by the way, reprinting something that instantly i knew to be wrong. You're not particularly good at this are you? ..... and you're a moderator?

Look. Your gear is excellent. No doubt about that. Your customer service is good, you've come up trumps with me several times.... well at least via my UK distributor you have.

And yes - perhaps I DID jump down your throat .... but your calling someone "stupid" as a company owner and a moderator on these forums is just darn unacceptable. My disagreeing with your warranty policy actually has no effect on me at all and very little to do with this. And I don't even mind your pointing out your policies...that's fine. It's the manner in which you do it that is find a bit "bullying"..... You can't just sit up and make "fuk the customer" comments and not expect to be taken up on it. You can do it with the likes of me any time you like - my company is more than man enough to take it. But I'm on the same level as you EvaAnne. I run a moderately successful company. I manage large projects and have employees. With that comes some responsibility - the main one is not throwing your weight around. Or do you feel that's not something you have to adhere to? That is precisely how it is coming across.

🎧 15 years
Thank you for your post and apology, narcoman. I don't know how this thread aroused such a response from you or where it devolved to comparing my income to yours or my business to yours, or anybody. You were reading words that were not there.

There is no f- the customer attitude. He did something to cause a failure which is not covered by warranty and he will pay money to have it fixed. He can take of to his dealer or ship it to us to have it fixed. We have never turned a repair away stupid mistakes, grey market, 20 years old stuff, or otherwise.

The only weight I'm throwing around is on the elliptical machine at the gym while I type to you on my iPhone.
----
As far as foreign prices go, our retail prices are set in USD and do not change. The landed cost overseas will vary according to exchange rates and with recent volatility of these rates it is impossible for your local agent to be able to predict rates and thus what your local prices will be months from now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hope the UAD plug will not emulate this.

Manley rocks, thumbsup

I got the SLAM & Vari-Mu and dream of getting MP.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I also feel this thread has gone a little bit too far.

My criticism was directly to EveAnna's comment and not to the whole company. I've gotten excellent service from Manley when I owned the MP and I'm totally in LOVE now with my Backbone! I also had great correspondence with Chris Dauray over there. Awesome guy.

No one doubts the quality of the gear. Which is the main thing. Its just those comments that left a bitter taste in my mouth. That's all.
epic thread... we discovered that Roll can not build gear but doesn't offer eve ana a job, eve ana has the holy smoke in her units, JJ blair has no sense of humour and distribution of manley gear is a tough topic.. also the strenght of Norwegian Kroner is underestimated.

so what was the original intension of this thread?

*btw. Eve Ana started kickin and baiting me with a masteringbackbone at the last AES.. still feel the pain heh* she is ridicilous dangerous and we should put chain her to her booth*
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What is with these childish and inyourface-servesyouright replies from Manleylabs? Even on Youtube. Ive never seen such a respected company do this before. Eveanna is it that time of the month agen?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for your post and apology, narcoman. I don't know how this thread aroused such a response from you or where it devolved to comparing my income to yours or my business to yours, or anybody. You were reading words that were not there.

There is no f- the customer attitude. He did something to cause a failure which is not covered by warranty and he will pay money to have it fixed. He can take of to his dealer or ship it to us to have it fixed. We have never turned a repair away stupid mistakes, grey market, 20 years old stuff, or otherwise.

The only weight I'm throwing around is on the elliptical machine at the gym while I type to you on my iPhone.
----
As far as foreign prices go, our retail prices are set in USD and do not change. The landed cost overseas will vary according to exchange rates and with recent volatility of these rates it is impossible for your local agent to be able to predict rates and thus what your local prices will be months from now.
Well that's good to know.

I'll explain my response then - of course only AS an explanation . It was a response to how you came across in your very short posts. From your last post I can totally see that you ARE open to negotiation on points.... and that's great. That's kind of how I perceived you previously - and now again.

I've noticed over the years that many don't respond to what they perceive as powerful people in a truly honest way. Not sneaky or shady, you understand. But I've seen dozens of comments go by from perceived industry heavyweights with nary a call into question. I understand why. Twenty years ago I was just starting out - and you never questioned those in high places! Authority figures ARE hard to question - they're the authority dag nammit! Now years later I'm part of the "power set".... I run projects, have experience, am occasionally perceived as THE power player...what I say goes etc etc. Or I hope NOT. So when a company seems to (although I now see that you really weren't) have a go "at the little guy" - well I'm tough enough to stand up to them. "me and MY army" if you see what I mean - and that's why I made glib comparisons between us, the point being that

a) don't bully (which I now see you weren't !!)
b) if you're in a position of perceived power - act gently! I've made rash statements in the past which have seen individuals working for me misinterpret and get all worried over a weekend. I've been careful what I say since....... I've had "just starting out" people working with me when I'm in a room full of those all thinking of me as "the expert " (oh if only they knew) and I've made comment of "don't you KNOW what you're doing fool"...... and seen how those around act disparagingly towards said individual....

I hope I've managed to explain that right - you get the idea..... You knwo the sort - If I see someone having a go at somebody in the street I'll walk up to them and suggest they try me instead. I'm exactly like that in business.

Anyhoo - all resolved and I'm glad to see that you are indeed as I perceived you. Responsible and give a monkeys!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
H.T.F.U.

Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Still, the thread title is slanderous and should be changed.

How about something like "Massive Passive smoking!".
'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasteh ➑️
What is with these childish and inyourface-servesyouright replies from Manleylabs? Even on Youtube. Ive never seen such a respected company do this before. Eveanna is it that time of the month agen?
Wow. Another sexist, idiotic response from a coward whose identity it not known.

If anonymity were not tolerated on GS, I think we'd see less of stuff that like, or calling people the C word. I don't see anything that Eve Anna has said that warrants like kind of behavior. I can say some things that are very pointed and vitriolic, but I would never play THAT card. Seriously lame.

Now that we have devolved past name calling into misogyny, can we lock this thread?
Lives for gear

93 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
no more misogynistic references k guys?
deal with your opinion
about the behavior
without buying into YOUR prejudice

give it try its not so bad.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Please don't get stupid with EveAnna .... she's one of the good ones!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I apologize to the people offended by my comment, but jesus I wasnt calling the woman a C-word, I was referring to a state of mood even my girlfriend goes through once a month, its there, deal with it. However, it was not ment to harm in any way and is my sense of humor I guess. Ill be more careful. I have much respect for Eve, but I was annoyed to experience a CEO in one of the most respected *****' companies in the world saying 'you deserved that, you didnt buy directly from us'. Not to mention certain comments from the company on youtube that even others reacted to.

🎧 15 years
Do they still do reading comprehension tests in school? Or do people just don't actually read anymore?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Toast, it was somebody else that used that word, but you were the second guy to make a menstrual comment, which just blows my mind that people think it's OK to play that card.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
Toast, it was somebody else that used that word, but you were the second guy to make a menstrual comment, which just blows my mind that people think it's OK to play that card.
Sorry, I did not catch that it had been previously posted. Again I apologize.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

ok, i'm moderating, now...

i think the op should apologize for misrepresntation here in the high end forum.

i think eve-anna should apologize to us for her bullying a manley customer
(whetever market - grey, black, super, whatever).

...although, she IS a moderator here, and has to deal w/ a LOT of crap
which most of us probably take for granted.

everyone else should just chill. most of us know manley is a serious company.
and everyone expects the best from them.

and i think all the mysogonist assholes here should go EAFD...

just my two cents.

can we go make some music now...

cheers...

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent ➑️

lol...freeking hilarious....that guy'll be dead from arterial sclerosis by 45 max...heh

Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Some of you guys are hitting a new low with this one.

Why don't threads like this get locked? I've seen many a post deleted here that were more productive than this nonsense.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➑️

ok, i'm moderating, now...

i think the op should apologize for misrepresntation here in the high end forum.
Misrepresentation of what? Please read my post above.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➑️
Misrepresentation of what? Please read my post above.

ok, how 'bout everyone just apologize, and then HTFU!...heh...

...i'll start....i apologize for being a nimrod.........

it's friday - we're havin' some fun......everyone's ready to chill out.
come on, people, no need for hatin'...

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➑️
BTW, if you don't like paying those taxes, just remember where the money for your socialized medicine and all that comes from. VATs aren't just there to be unfair.
Just to put this misinformation right:

VAT is not really paid at all by anyone having any sort of business (that includes penniless independant artists) on any sort of business expense . That'll cover 99% of Manley-customers for 100% of Manley purchases. There aren't really grey imports with high cost pro audio units. Noone actually grey-imports Manley units to save tax. There just isn't anything to be saved. Even if no import tax is paid, there is no loss of taxes to the country, because if it's not paid, then it can't be reclaimed either (which it would be). Import tax / VAT in this case cancels out. It does not matter on bit with regards to this discussion...

And please read what others are actually writing. As it is, your post is in response to an imaginary argument that noone has made and several have argued against (maybe it was just me, several times .

If you don't know how another country's tax system works (and I'm not saying you should... I don't have a clue how US states' sales taxes work either), you should not be lecturing on it, let alone make moral judgements. If you do, it just looks/sounds funny... in a "Michael from The Office" kinda way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra ➑️
I don't agree with that. At all. I should be "scared" to buy used gear now? The manufacturer will punish me for buying a used unit? Almost all of the hi-end boutique manufacturers will service your unit regardless of where it came from. And some times even for FREE! Just read all the "I got this used unit out of warranty and X company fixed for freeeee. I love them!" posts.

If someone wants to buy your product bypassing your established channels, there is a reason for it. Usually money. No one would buy a Massive Passive abroad to save 200 Euros... for 800 maybe.

I agree with this post. For example, Bryston amps. A studio standard amplifier. It doesn't matter how many people have owned the amp. 20 year warranty on their amps is valid for any owner (1st -last), any country. I wish all companies believe in their products like Bryston. I have sent two decade old amps to them for repair.

Only one of amps had a very slight issue after 16 years of use, the other was working well and was my mistake for thinking that the amp had gone bad. I was not the original owner for either of them, nor did I buy them new from a dealer. They fixed them, shipped them back for free, up to 20 years from the date it was made, guaranteed. Now, thats the kind of company, that I would keep buying from and keep spreading the good word for. Good customer service is profit as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well that's simply not true, at least in Japan. Manley prices are outrageous over herestike

In Japan the TNT is 367,000 yen/4000 USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VK sell those for 2700 USD.Shipment is 50/70 dollar shipment and taxes are only 5%.

Over a grand cheaper!!! No wonder people try to get those from the US. By the way the more expensive is the product, the more the importer/retailer will put money in his pocket. I remember when i saw the manley mixer price i had a good laughheh

I like manley stuff but is for this very reason that i've never(and probably never will) buy your products.
πŸ“ Reply