Which patchbay? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which patchbay?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Which patchbay?

Hi, I've found myself really in need of a patchbay and I think I narrowed it down to the two below. Which one would you guys choose? Quality wise are they both about the same?

Audio Accessories Shorti Quick-Switch Patchbay (1.5U, 96pt DB25 connectors)
This one seems to have some good reviews from ppl, but one thing I noticed is that the normalling switches are on the back. I don't expect to change this often but if needed I would have to scramble to the back. Also, is 1.5U a pretty standard size? It sounds like I would need two to make an normal 3U size.

Switchcraft 9625 (1U, 96pt DB25 connectors)
This one also seems very nice and has normalling switches in the front. Its a standard 1U size which sounds pretty nice and compact, but is trying to attach 12 DB25 snakes to this kind of tricky at such a small size?

Just wanted to hear your opinions about these and if you have any other recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks!
Maru
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➑️
Hi, I've found myself really in need of a patchbay and I think I narrowed it down to the two below. Which one would you guys choose? Quality wise are they both about the same?

This one seems to have some good reviews from ppl, but one thing I noticed is that the normalling switches are on the back. I don't expect to change this often but if needed I would have to scramble to the back. Also, is 1.5U a pretty standard size? It sounds like I would need two to make an normal 3U size.

This one also seems very nice and has normalling switches in the front. Its a standard 1U size which sounds pretty nice and compact, but is trying to attach 12 DB25 snakes to this kind of tricky at such a small size?

Just wanted to hear your opinions about these and if you have any other recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks!
Maru
If the SC is the one I'm thinking of, you may want to check your grounding options, because I think they are all bussed and you can't change them.

Just food for thought.
Old 23rd January 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➑️

Thanks!
Maru
I think the Redco R196 Bay is worth a look as well.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have the SC 9625 and have no problems. The front panel normal switches are great. I'm growing and changing things, so it's really handy. The back is tight but not unreasonable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Yes and Chris at Redco is top notch when it comes to customer service.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
When it comes to the connections to your equipment, you cannot afford to go cheap. I tried a stack of options from the likes of Switchcraft and Re-an etc as well as many others. In almost all cases I found that, over time, the normalled switching would be problematic. From time to time, I hard patch across my normalled patchbay to check for faulty connections. In almost all cases the 1/4" patchbays lost signal (and tone) through the normalled switching. Bottom line is that 1/4" connections cannot stand up to continuous plugging and unplugging. For signal integrity I recommend Bantam or TT connections. They are not cheap, but signal quality is everything. I use the brass sleeved TT like on the old Neve patchbays. They are serviceable and have never faulted in 10 years. Just my 2 cents.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent ➑️
Yes and Chris at Redco is top notch when it comes to customer service.
+1 for Chris and Redco! Great service and great prices!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1
rsp
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info guys. I'll also take a look at the Redco R196 as well.

Regarding grounding, can anyone explain what the different grounding schemes mean and what problems they solve?

I see the following grounding options for these patchbays but not really sure what they mean.
Redco - Isolated, Vertically Strapped, Ground Buss
Audio Accessories - Grounds Bussed, Vertically Strapped
Switchcraft - Vertically strapped, sleeves isolated

Thanks!
Maru
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Just realize, this is a plastic jack pos!!! Pay a little more w/ the switchcract 9625, and get a bay thats gonna last.
1 more thing, the normal switch on the switchcraft is accessable w/ a screwdriver from the FRONT!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 2 patchbays from audio accessories and I couldn't recommend them enough- great service and excellent product!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the Audiolot Mixbay, which is a hybrid of two audio accessories I think. Probably one of my best purchases this year!

XJ
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…