Quantcast
Zener, Pair of Distressors, LA2A, Pair of Coles 4038. Should i buy? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zener, Pair of Distressors, LA2A, Pair of Coles 4038. Should i buy?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Zener, Pair of Distressors, LA2A, Pair of Coles 4038. Should i buy?

Hey guys,

Bit of a random one, Someone i know is selling a load of their gear, they want to sell it quick so the price is pretty good! (no its not knocked off) the items are -

Chandler Zener limiter,

Pair of brit mod Distressors

Universal Audio LA2a

and a pair of Coles 4038

I know the distressors fairly well, and have worked with them for extended periods of time. I like them and find them very versatile and usefull, I know a pair would get used around here a lot. I'm always borrowing the ones that are in the studio next to mine. I'm also producing and album at the moment and the engineer who is hopefully helping us out loves them. So i'm pretty much sold on the Distressor front.

I have also have limited experience with the LA2a, i know its a classic and will give me that lovely fat warm tube slow opto thing. I know they're great on bass and good in combination with other comps on vocals, If i was buying valve comp brand new, i think i'd be more inclined to go down the 176 route for more versatility however as this is a good deal i think this Comp will be a good buy too....

The Zener I have no experience with, I have listened to clips and understand the idea and what to expect from it. I obviously love the 'Abbey Road beatles compression' I've read it can be good on the bus as well as drum but or OH while tracking. I've heard it makes thing larger than life but may smear the detailing slightly. Of all the items this excites me the most even though i haven't heard it. But again, if i was buying brand new it probably wouldn't be on the top of my list.

The Coles mics i think will be a great addition to my ever expanding mic collection. I have a decent selection of dynamic and condenser mics already and have been wanting to get into ribbons. I know they're great on OHs and guitars. I had one set up on my guitar when i was tracking in BBC maida vale and loved the sound of it.

I track a lot of live instruments, I do a lot of old school sounding soul records as well as Pop and indieish bands and Rock-a-la-white stripes. I track a lot of drums, guitars, pianos, basses etc.

The deal is pretty good, better than i could score on ebay for the individual items. and if i split it up the saving will be less

So i guess what i'm asking is...

Of you guys who have or have tried any of the above are any of these pieces you've bought become units you just don't patch in very often any more.. have you sold them for something else. or are they the best thing every invented that you could possibly ever live without????

Convince me to buy.... Or not....

Any extra advice on what these would be good for is welcomed also,

FYI: i currently have a limited outboard selection, I rent in a lot session to session, and have API3124, Rupert Neve 5043, BSS dpr402, Mics - Geffel UM92, 414s, 421s, 57s, M300s, re20, M88s, Audiotechnicas, D12e, D112 etc etc but would like to start building my collection

thanks
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All that gear is great stuff that is very useful and I doubt you will get rid of any of it.

The Zener does what nothing with the exception of EMI limiters can do. It is an amazing color piece that can be used to lightly compress tracks or limit room mics into an explosion!!

The Distressors are extremely versatile. You could make a record with just Distressors if you had to. I prefer the tone of other compressors very often, but Distressors are A$$ savers.

The LA2A is the standard by which all opto's are measured. They add a great touch of character as well. It's a timeless classic for a good reason.

Coles 4038's are in my opinion one of those magical pieces of gear that on the right source can really enhance a track. They have a classic ribbon sound with a certain depth to them that is unique to that mic.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If the price is good and you've got the cash, jump on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is just speaking on behalf of my aesthetic and the tools I appreciate most...

Great Compressors vs. Great Microphones?

I'll take the mics every time.

However, you say you keep renting compressors and outboard gear. This leads me to believe your needs are probably different than mine.

In that case...

Zener.
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the Zener is at a killer price - GRAB IT. It is a great compressor, especially on drums.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
thanks everyone...

this is what i wanted to hear!!!

I've been talking it over with another friend who's opinion i really trust...

think i'm gonna pick these up tomorrow!

any more opinions??

Just to get me more excited!

thanks
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon ➡️
This is just speaking on behalf of my aesthetic and the tools I appreciate most...

Great Compressors vs. Great Microphones?

I'll take the mics every time.

However, you say you keep renting compressors and outboard gear. This leads me to believe your needs are probably different than mine.

In that case...

Zener.
Yes I can see where your coming from. I'm always on the look out for deals on everything, just picked up a load of mics from the auction of Mark Angelo Studios (re20/ m300 / 2 x sen421s)
Just waiting for a u47/67 to come up cheap and i'll snap it up.. and anything else for that matter.

I generally wait for deals to slap me in the face..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue May ➡️
Just waiting for a u47/67 to come up cheap and i'll snap it up..
Unless you're cool with getting a complete dog of a U47 or U67, you will wait forever.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Unless you're cool with getting a complete dog of a U47 or U67, you will wait forever.

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. In my experience, be it instruments or studio gear.. Great deals always come up now and again, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're in bad nick either.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
if you can afford the lot of it BUY IT. BUY IT NOW.

and then lend it to me in repayment for my excellent advice.

enjoy, as i'm sure you will.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Bought and received

Hey guys,

Pulled the trigger and got the lot minus the Coles (which the studio before wanted to keep hold of)

Just plugging in everything now... just ran some drums through the Zener as a quick test... WOW... instant record sound !!!! Can't wait to get in deep with these items..

Blue.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Here are some pics,

Need to do a load of soldering and re organise my patch bay a little....
Attached Thumbnails
Zener, Pair of Distressors, LA2A, Pair of Coles 4038. Should i buy?-photo-3.jpg   Zener, Pair of Distressors, LA2A, Pair of Coles 4038. Should i buy?-photo-2.jpg   Zener, Pair of Distressors, LA2A, Pair of Coles 4038. Should i buy?-photo-1.jpg   Zener, Pair of Distressors, LA2A, Pair of Coles 4038. Should i buy?-photo.jpg  
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
£4900

Good deal??
Not really.

Actually its used market price, basically what you would pay if you hunted each piece on its own on the used market.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Not really.

Actually its used market price, basically what you would pay if you hunted each piece on its own on the used market.
Maybe in America.... I would say its pretty good here. basically 50% of New UK price.. Mint condidtion, still with original boxes and manuals etc..
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Maybe in America....

Or Ebay/GS classifieds.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not really.

Naw he man's right. It's a good deal. £1800 for an LA2a, a couple grand fro the distressors and maybe 2.5-3k for the zener. Probably saved between one and two grand.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➡️
Naw he man's right. It's a good deal. £1800 for an LA2a, a couple grand fro the distressors and maybe 2.5-3k for the zener. Probably saved between one and two grand.
I guess its how you see it. 4900 pounds here is $7K with the exchange rate.

A used Zener is about $3500-$3700. A pair of used Distressors $1800. A used UA LA2A is around $1500. Total is around $6.8K, $7K and or $7.2K. Like I said its around average.

Had the guy thrown in the Coles mics for that price than yeah its a great deal.

Whatever man, enjoy the gear.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:

A used Zener is about $3500-$3700. A pair of used Distressors $1800. A used UA LA2A is around $1500. Total is around $6.8K, $7K and or $7.2K. Like I said its around average.

I hear ya but to get those prices he'd then have to pay to ship to the UK and pay a minimum of 15% duty plus any import tax. That pretty much gets him back to UK prices anyway. Believe me I used to buy the majority of my gear from the US and have it sent back but it just isnt worth it any more.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I hear ya but to get those prices he'd then have to pay to ship to the UK and pay a minimum of 15% duty plus any import tax. That pretty much gets him back to UK prices anyway. Believe me I used to buy the majority of my gear from the US and have it sent back but it just isnt worth it any more.
You have a great point which i thought about. That 15% is a true pain in the ass.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Umm!

Quote:
Anyway Hans will fix it up for you, even if its well knackerd.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
You have a great point which i thought about. That 15% is a true pain in the ass.

Yeah as i said.. In america your absolutely right.. probably on its money.. but what with the £ being so ****ty against the $ these days and the import tax etc etc.... its all a big PITTA.

I could be wrong but ...
£1200 for a pair of distressors, £1200 for a LA2A and £2500 for the Zener... I'm not complaining!!

Thanks

B.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I could be wrong but ...
£1200 for a pair of distressors, £1200 for a LA2A and £2500 for the Zener... I'm not complaining!!

Thanks

B.
though if you change your mind i'd be happy to alk about a deal wih you. (Pacifica looking for a good home over here)!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
though if you change your mind i'd be happy to alk about a deal wih you. (Pacifica looking for a good home over here)!
I'll bear that in mind.. need to get them all wired in first to see if i like them... some soldering to do today!

B
QRS
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi B.,

Price was ok- you have great pieces- enjoy!!
i have the same compressors - and one coles. just ordered a second one.
Sorry to say but i think you have to buy at least one those (for the music you do
they're so wonderful!)!
Cheers, matthias

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll bear that in mind.. need to get them all wired in first to see if i like them... some soldering to do today!

B
Sweet
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Finished wiring everything in 6 this this morning, decided to do a patch bay overhaul rather than just trying to fit the new bits in...

First full session with the new comps today... wow... they are all amazing.. they all impart a very 3D effect on whatever is passed through them..
E gtr tracked through zenner is lovely, really makes them bite a little more...

Currently tracking bass api 3124 > La2a > Distressor > AD .... Mmmmmmm

Nice one.

B
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
happy out man!
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chandler Zener limiter = good, buy it.

Pair of brit mod Distressors = very useful, buy it.

Universal Audio LA2a = great, buy it.

and a pair of Coles 4038 = just buy it! heh
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yeah thats a great deal! UK has inflated prices!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
theother
Quote:
Maybe in America.... I would say its pretty good here. basically 50% of New UK price.. Mint condidtion, still with original boxes and manuals etc..
It´s not a great deal but not the worst I´ve seen either.

I think you can buy everything new for approx 5,500 GBP, but that is excl. VAT. Not exactly 50% off. Where did you get your prices from? Don´t get confused with list prices as you usually get a discount in the UK when asking.

But then it´s difficult to find a second hand Zener.

I have all three and I´m sure you will be happy with what you bought!
📝 Reply