U47 reissues - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U47 reissues
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola ➡️
Don't see how the exact brass material would have much of an effect on the sound, either it's good for precision machining or not.

But Gunter certainly knows what he's talking about and he's also a great guy, I had the pleasure of meeting up with him at his place in Australia some time ago. And his work is superb no doubt.

As for my own NU-series microphones, guess you can say that they are certainly inspired by the U47, but that's about it.

Martin

As already mentioned it's just another 'lil detail.

- Martin why is your NU-47 sold out?

Do you have the NU-47 disconnected? If so... why?

Is there a customer of yours with a NU-47 in Nashville?

Thx,

Nash
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➡️

U47w>1073>La3a

The chain really complimented the singer, he sang great and we pressed record. All was good.

Gunter Wagner for President!
I know that sound, it is winning ticket lot of time.

Knowing his integrity and honesty, indeed, Gunter would be great choice for president, but here we are slightly OT heh
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
I missed this, but think it needs responding to. First the "not really good advice" about buying a real U47, is the same advice Oliver would give you, and he stands to make money from most 47 type mics, because most use his parts.

M7s are not essential for a good U47. In fact, I prefer a K47 to any of the M7s that I've currently heard in production. When I was refurbing my M49s, I wound up choosing new K47s after listening to several options.

Many of the non Ms are perfectly fine. I just bought one, and it was quieter than the old M that was in my mic, which was perfectly acceptable. Ms don't sound any different. They just tested quieter, and not all VF14s were tested for M status.

I know people buying stock U47s for less than $8,000. Were are you getting this $15,000 figure from, and what idiot is paying that much? I have never seen a U47 go for that much money. Not even that new in the box one on Bay a couple years ago went for that much.

There are lots of great sounding U47s on the market, and the simplest act of maintenance can make one that doesn't sound optimal sound great again. It's rarely a complicated affair.

Man JJ, I'm telling you - the prices are getting absurd. The 8-10k U47's are only if you know someone privately etc. But dealers are going 13k right now for a decent one. even 18 months ago things were better. Things are also changing fast with the Vf14's. Of course there were good "non M's" available. But that is sadly deteriorating badly as well. You REALLY need to know what your doing if you get into one of these mics.

VV on the M7's, have you tried the blue line PVC yet? I have one coming in a week or so to give a whirl.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➡️
Man JJ, I'm telling you - the prices are getting absurd. The 8-10k U47's are only if you know someone privately etc. But dealers are going 13k right now for a decent one. even 18 months ago things were better. Things are also changing fast with the Vf14's. Of course there were good "non M's" available. But that is sadly deteriorating badly as well. You REALLY need to know what your doing if you get into one of these mics.
Indeed, with such fame, finding original U47 in good shape with great sound and all original specs parts is near to impossible (below 12-15k nowadays). Some highly modified vintage U47 I heard were way less interesting in sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tony, really? I don't know. I never gauge the real price by what dealers are charging. People who buy from VK and others for stuff like this have more money than sense. Madooma is a freaking rip off. People need to boycott that guy with his insane prices.

The value of a mic is what I can sell it for, not what I can buy it for. If I can only sell one for $8k, then I can buy one for that, if I am patient. If I am an idiot, and I need to have it NOW, then of course I'm going to pay too much, and shame on the jack asses who spend that much.

I collect antiques, and it's always been known, if you go to a dealer, you are paying the dealer price, not the actual value of the item. The real value is what it goes for at auction ... what other collectors are willing to pay for it. The dealer price is what some tard who doesn't care about getting his money's worth is willing to spend.

Where are you getting this info about VF14s? This is the first I've heard of this. Don't tell me that it came from somebody who is offering a replacement, like Andreas!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually I was talking to Mike at VK about a U48 he's selling (he was basically talking me out of it). I also asked him if he could score me a decent vf14, and he told me he was having a hard time himself getting them and basically re-iterated what I'm telling you.

So in effect he was giving me advice at his own expense.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvillean ➡️
- Martin why is your NU-47 sold out?
The last batch sold very quickly, probably because of the fantastic support and comments I got from people like Bruce Swedien in the EQ article many years ago.

Quote:
Do you have the NU-47 disconnected? If so... why?
It was always intended as a very limited, hand made product, and has some parts are just not available in large numbers. Wanted to keep enough parts in stock to be able to offer good support to my existing customers.

But it was time to move on, and the short body FET version (NU-47F) is now available, and several other interesting ones are in the works.

Quote:
Is there a customer of yours with a NU-47 in Nashville?
Not that I'm aware of. Thanks for asking about these.

Martin
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Actually I was talking to Mike at VK about a U48 he's selling (he was basically talking me out of it). I also asked him if he could score me a decent vf14, and he told me he was having a hard time himself getting them and basically re-iterated what I'm telling you.

So in effect he was giving me advice at his own expense.
VK, more prices for people with not enough common sense.

I bet he could get them. I think he might just not like the price he can get them for. No profit margin in that. If I know where several are, he must know about it, too.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

VV on the M7's, have you tried the blue line PVC yet? I have one coming in a week or so to give a whirl.
I wouldn't buy it from dealers.. there is one dealer in LA who has tried to sell me a VF-14 for 5000$.. so what ? I've got two of them for about 1600$ for both, sent it to Mr. Anreas Grosser and he has brought them back to factory specs.

I don't think that the dealers are defining the used market prices anymore in the eBay and Internet era..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
VK, more prices for people with not enough common sense.
Exactly !
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMc ➡️
Man, even though I am thrilled with my EF14 Pearlman TM-1, I have such a major jones for that Wagner U47w it isn't even funny.

Agghhhh!!!!!
I've never heard an original u47 in person, but I bought Tony Shepard's DVD and on it he demo's some vocals on a new Tele USA u47 and a Pearlman. The Tele just sounded so much better. It jumped out at you from the speakers and sounded so sweet. The Pearlman was very two-dimentional in comparison.

I've heard several audio clips from a Peluso 2247 LE with the steel tube compared to an original U47, and I must say that I was impressed. Most of the time I could pick out the original because there was just some thickness in the low-mids that was not there with the Peluso, but sonically very very close, and for the money difference, probably close enough.

I own a p12 and love it. Same difference with it, though, compared to an original c-12. Just some thickness/creaminess missing. But it certainly is not an additional $6000.00 worth of it!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The mic I settled on was a T-USA AE. This was after a few capsule swaps with them. Various reasons for this decision, mostly that they are designed to be interchangeable with original U47 parts (PSU's, tubes etc) and because the capsule I settled on was one of theirs.
Just as an aside, I once had a question about the new Tele USA c-12's and the operator sent me right to Toni Fishman, who was so awesome to talk to. He spent and hour on the phone with me just talking about the process of finding and reverse engineering the best of the best CK12 capsules. Apparantly there were 5 versions of the brass CK-12 caps and it took a long time to find the batch that people held in the highest regard. I'd love to put one of those TK12 caps in my P-12, but alas, they don't sell them outright as far as I know.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
outofphase
I like those D19 that madooma sells, a bit expensive yes, but they seem in great condition.
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
whats the price of the Wagner U47 ?

thanks
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Sousa ➡️
whats the price of the Wagner U47 ?

thanks
like lightsabres you have to make your own.
📝 Reply