U47 reissues - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U47 reissues
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair ➡️
No he isn't. The largest exception being that he's using the wrong tube. But all the parts I mentioned, he is not using. He's not using the TAB BV8 either, which uses the original lamination material. If you're going to make a U47 clone, and can't get an original BV8, that is the one to use, IMO.

I'm not saying he doesn't make an oustanding mic. I'm just saying that what you said is inaccurate.

BTW, I had some help making this. But a U47 is the mic equivalent of a '57 chevy. If you have the pieces, it's much simpler than putting together almost any other mic. I was fortunate enough to have somebody let me rebuild their tribute mic with the correct components, and that's where I did my trial and error. I'm in no way a Klaus or a Gunter. But I know when I see different components. Some of the components in the real Neumann he shows are not even stock.

U47 - the classic tube microphone

JJ I think you're basically right.

Beside having all the original parts you also would have to own all the original tweaking gear to burn the tubes etc. (which Wagner has btw) But to me the biggest factor is to have the experience to ensemble a U47. Gunter has even 10 years more U47 experience than Klaus.

The Wagner isn't a Neumann. That's right. But it's a damn great mic and a truthful tribute mic. (If you want to call it this way...)

Nobody will be able to create a NEW Neuman U47. Not only because of the missing tube also because of the missing experience. Even Neumann/Sennheiser is sending their tube stuff to Andreas Grosser.

You may have all the original parts but you don't have the experience of a 1950's Neumann employee. Therefore even your Mic isn't a clone. IMO

But all this doesn't really matter. A U47 is just a tool to record a great performance.
It sounds great with a Neuman or with a Wagner. Historical right or not they are on the same sonic page. That's what's important when I hit the record button. To me.

Nash

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 47 is a benchmark...but at a certain point having to have an all orig is more of collectibility and investment as well as the sound...which is a very good thing to consider, at those prices.
otherwise just make records the best you can....[and hope they sell]
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just received one of Ben Sneesby's "James" mics a week ago and I couldn't be happier with it. Wonderful tone. Air but not harsh. Detailed mids. While the case and grill are just ok, the guts are very nicely done. Point to point wiring, he makes his own capsules, etc.

I've been using it mostly on acoustic strings and male vocals. While not trying to be a clone, it is in the same ballpark as a 47 to my ears. And the price is, well, let's just say its a bargain.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Peluso 2247 and I love it. Used a lot for vocals and acoustic guitars. Sometimes even closemic a guitar amp with it if that's what I'm looking for. Great mic! You have to hear it for yourself to decide how it compares to a 47.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvillean ➡️
Beside having all the original parts you also would have to own all the original tweaking gear to burn the tubes etc.
To burn in a tube you don't need 'original tweaking gear'. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
But to me the biggest factor is to have the experience to ensemble a U47.
If you ask me assembly is the easiest part, while building the capsule could be the most difficult. I have also understood that manufacturing the VF14 tube took a lot of experience and skill, something that's not available today. Maybe that's what you had in mind?

Quote:
Nobody will be able to create a NEW Neuman U47. Not only because of the missing tube also because of the missing experience. You may have all the original parts but you don't have the experience of a 1950's Neumann employee. Therefore even your Mic isn't a clone. IMO
You are right that it will never be a Neumann, because it's not made by Neumann. But as for the assembly, nothing is preventing us from doing what they did. Maybe JJ will share some pictures? If not, I have some too.

Martin
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➡️
You have to hear it for yourself to decide how it compares to a 47.
I did compare it to a U47, but don't think it's fair considering the price difference. They are just two completely different microphones, but what works for you is all good.

Martin
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I don't get what's so special about having the machine to burn the tube in. You can either do it in the mic, or in the machine. You mean any U47 that has a replacement tube in it is wrong because the tube was not burned in outside of the mic?

That's just silly.

The Peluso 2247 has almost nothing in common with a U47, particularly sonically. You're starting with the wrong capsule, even.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you want a U47 buy a U47.. if not there are good alternatives, Telefunken USA did a great job on recreating the 251 which i have and love and I'm sure they did the same with the U47, didn't hear it though..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I went through the process of deciding on a u47 clone (Wunder, T-USA U47 M and AE) I had a pair of good originals at the studio to compare to. IME the capsule itself plays 90% of the role here. The capsule is key.

What I have found is that M7 copies with Mylar skins are hit and miss. Some good, some not, and if your lucky really good. I found the differences between capsules completely overshadowed tube type (EF 14 or VF14). All the types I tried used Oliver's xformers.

One thing I noticed is that in all cases, the original M7 with PVC did not have the bottom end of the cloners. I believe this is due to the aging of the PVC. The original M7 did have a nicer top end however. Any Mylar capsule I tried equivalent in the top end was not as smooth.

I have a feeling the inconsistency of the mylar capsules is due to the mylar being more difficult to work with when trying to glue it to an M7 style back plate which was originally designed to be used with PVC material - just a guess based on research and opinion of others more knowledgeable in the field.

The mic I settled on was a T-USA AE. This was after a few capsule swaps with them. Various reasons for this decision, mostly that they are designed to be interchangeable with original U47 parts (PSU's, tubes etc) and because the capsule I settled on was one of theirs. Ultimately it is very difficult to tell this mic apart from the original, but it does have a more robust bottom end, yet the top end is *almost* as good as the original - slightly more aggressive, although I bet if you plot it it would look the same on a graph. You still can hear it however, but it was the best capsule I had found of the bunch.

I have actually ordered a Theirsch PVC M7 that I will being trying at the end of the month. If it is better than the capsule currently in the mic, then this mic will be better than the original we were basing the purchase off of.

Let me finally make my point. Don't get too hung up on the final 10% of a good U47 copy, get the main thing right first. And that is the capsule. If your not thrilled with the mic, don't think you need to spend more money on valves etc - chances are that the capsule doesn't work for you. Once you get that right, then you can start cork sniffing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan ➡️
If you want a U47 buy a U47.. i
That's not really good advice anymore. Most U47's with original M7's are shot. Then the valves are mostly non-m types. The non-m Vf14's that were considered unacceptable only a few years ago are now considered "good ones". A REALLY good U47 (if you can even find one) is going to fetch closer to $15K nowadays.

A real good copy will sound better than most U47s on the market. Not all of course, but I'm only saying most.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➡️
That's not really good advice anymore. Most U47's with original M7's are shot. Then the valves are mostly non-m types. The non-m Vf14's that were considered unacceptable only a few years ago are now considered "good ones". A REALLY good U47 (if you can even find one) is going to fetch closer to $15K nowadays.

A real good copy will sound better than most U47s on the market. Not all of course, but I'm only saying most.
You are right. but if you enough time to look for a good U47 and VF14 spares it's golden.. i bought a museum quality U47 a few month ago from Vcode from this forum and it's just an amazing microphone..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Peluso 2247 has almost nothing in common with a U47, particularly sonically.
I have to agree with this. We presently have a 2247LE here (steel tube) and it has its uses, but no better than other mics in its price range IMO, and what it does to the mids does not work well on all sources.

Aside from the general shape of the housing, it is no u47.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➡️
...I think the Wagner and the AE are the best, if I had to choose I'd say the Wagner is the king of the hill. The U47w is so deep and intense sounding with incredible low end detail yet still open on top. I think Gunter is done making them so I'd say if you got the cake go for the AE, it is super sounding and was pretty close to McCurry's best U47. ....
Sorry if a dumb question, ... what is AE?
thought i was up to date on current 47 stylz.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
U 47AE

Tree,

See this page for info on the AE -

TELEFUNKEN USA |

Mike
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Has anyone here seen the shootout here?
https://gearspace.com/board/high-end...r-neumann.html
I bought the Arabella a little while back ($1350 US)...at the moment I am probably one of the few people that has actually had quite a bot of hands on experience with one, as most orders are waiting (from what I have heard)
Anyway it uses the Telefunken EF12 Tube plus the Cinemag 2461NICO transformer...point to point circuit, custom handbuilt K47B capsule (not a chinese one...like AK47's etc...).
Personally all I can say is I am delighted with it...I will be very surprised if it does not compete favorably with the Wagner...the results of that shootout are not in yet...but it will be interesting.
I have heard it in the flesh against a Vintage U67
and it compared verry favourably...same density in the mids and low end...but with more hi end detail...so it may be worth checking out.
Astro

Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geareyes ➡️
Tree,

See this page for info on the AE -

TELEFUNKEN USA |

Mike
Ah...thankyou, Mike.....
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola ➡️
To burn in a tube you don't need 'original tweaking gear'. It's not rocket science.
Right, but that's the way they have done it back then. Although it's more a matter of philosophy. Of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola ➡️
If you ask me assembly is the easiest part, while building the capsule could be the most difficult. I have also understood that manufacturing the VF14 tube took a lot of experience and skill, something that's not available today. Maybe that's what you had in mind?

Right.

They also used a different brass alloy for the backplates which is not anymore available today.

e.g. Wagner uses such a brass alloy from the 1940's.

Martin I can't comment on your Mic's because I never heard them in real life, but I think Wagner does an outstanding job to create a great sounding U47 tribute Mic. (I like JJ's term...)

JJ is certainly right that nobody is able to create a clone but there are some people out there who can craft a awesome sounding U47 with their experience of more than 30 years. (I'm not talking about the 2.5 k copies)

That's actually my point. People should give up to think a Wagner is a Neumann. But at the other side it is on the same sonic quality level. At least our U47w compared to our 3 originals.

2 things which should not be mixed up but many people do. They think if someone says the Wagner isn't a Neumann they automatically think it does not sound great, but it does.

The EF12 or EF12k is a great sounding tube if properly selected. IMO

(Also used in the wonderful sounding Leipzig Bottle)

Quote:
Yeah, I don't get what's so special about having the machine to burn the tube in. You can either do it in the mic, or in the machine. You mean any U47 that has a replacement tube in it is wrong because the tube was not burned in outside of the mic?

That's just silly.
That's not silly.

That's how the Neumann was made. You could say it's nitpicking but not silly.
Wagner got all those vintage gear. I've seen pics of his work shop.

- If you open an original U47 and change anything it's not a Neumann anymore. Not original sounding. Do a re-skin and it sounds completely different even the Neumann badge is still there. I can understand why Klaus isn't doin' re-skins.

One more time for me it's important to have the vibe of the Mic. The U47 sound.

If a Kantola or a Wagner sounds awesome I have no problem to get them over a TLM Mic or a bad sounding original because it's about the sound.

However... The Wagner is a handcrafted masterpiece, not a Neumann, a Wagner
which sound like a U47. (To me...) Many so called U47 copies do not sound like a U47.

Generally speaking: Please only judge about a Wagner if you have heard one in your trusted studio environment.

what about buying something solid, new with a sound from this century for a lot less money, then join the clone-waR?

CHEERS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️
what about buying something solid, new with a sound from this century for a lot less money, then join the clone-waR?
Agree.

Gefell, Horch, Brauner... First class, reliable, solid, brand new, modern microphones "Made in Germany".

Neumann (despite what some might think here), Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Schoeps and DPA offer some pretty good ones too.

Overseas there's AEA, Royer, Tele USA, Korby, etc, etc.

I'd say, stop chasing ghosts. It's only a tool after all.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich ➡️
Gefell, Horch, Brauner... First class, reliable, solid, brand new, modern microphones "Made in Germany".
I see where you're coming from, but I think it's a debatable point how "modern" most of the mics from any of those manufacturers are. Just because they don't specifically emulate a known vintage model does not mean they aren't an embodiment of technological principles that for the most part have their roots in vintage designs. You can vary the elements, maybe refine some of them but still be essentially producing a homage to the past - walking on the shoulders of giants - or clumping around in their shoes.

Quote:
Neumann (despite what some might think here), Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Schoeps and DPA offer some pretty good ones too.
Yes. And it's interesting to note that designs from some of those vendors that break with the past are not always well received around here.

Quote:
Actually, as far as the U47 goes, it is more a point of reference than a tool. It is something (elusive or not) that many aspire to, even when they are embracing newer models and designs. So it definitely has its place.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nash, first off, I'm not saying the the Wagner's aren't awesome. I have not made a qualitative statement about them, for the record.

However, the point about the tube burning equipment ... the only point of burning the tube in outside of the mic is only so that you don't have to do it in the mic, and you can do several at once. If you go to Manley Labs, they are burning in a couple hundred tubes at any given time, so they can then be tested for noise, etc. after they have been running for a couple days non stop. This method does not make the tube behave ANY differently, than if it had been done inside the mic. All it means is that he got a rare tube jig. The fact that he's not using the same tube, but has the same tube jig that Neumann used to burn their tubes in, doesn't make it any more special. It just means that he doesn't have to go through the pain in the ass of taking putting that tube in and taking it out one more time.

I mean, I'm sure he's a genius with a mic. That's just a silly detail to hang one's hat on, and extremely inconsequential. As long as you're burning in the tube with 36V for a couple days, it doesn't mater if it's in a jig or in a mic.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️

CHEERS
Like Rode Classic.
I like it on some vocals and I did some vocals better with Classic than with U47 or ELAM 251. It is true that many mics are simply wonderful.
Only point is that in many situations (and more often than other mics) top flight mics as U47 and ELAM 251 are simply the best choices without evident competitor quality-wise.
It doesn't mean that perfect job can't be done with Korby Kat4 instead of 4 original mics it emulates.

But, hell with it, we are gearslutzs and we deserve only the best
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
First off, you can have a 50 year old mic, and have it be solid as anything. It's called maintenance.

Secondly, there is something truly special that an original U47, a 251 and C12 do. When you put good examples of these mics against even the new classics, you understand why they have a place. On some sources, they are more than just tools - they are magical.

But yes, there are new mics with magic in them. It's just a different kind of thing. It's drive a Porsche. The Porsche is a good car, but you might love and miss the way the Ferrari corners. That's the reason I'd rather have my U47 than try 20 mics that sorta do that thing it does.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
First off, you can have a 50 year old mic, and have it be solid as anything. It's called maintenance.

Secondly, there is something truly special that an original U47, a 251 and C12 do. When you put good examples of these mics against even the new classics, you understand why they have a place. On some sources, they are more than just tools - they are magical.
Very true.
I've spent hours, days and weeks in shootouts, comparisons, recording and than comparing etc.
Simple shootout is not enough, it can determin choice of the day, but total result is clear after mix is done.
I had at least 6 different 251s (two Soundelux, two originals, two Tele USA, Korby) and innumerable U47s for weeks or months in studio with many performances tracked with.
I tweaked Korby's 251 capsule to my liking (and it differs to the best 251 I know, although is great capsule by its own).
It is not quite often that time after time one has constant satisfaction with same mic. Finally, I learned that heritage and reputation behind real heayweighters is well earned. They might cost more than they are really worth (in physical sense of components and labour), but they are in demand because they deserve that.
Among new mics Brauner and Klaus Heyne did show that modern mic can be on par with the best 'ghosts from the past', but there are things that only 47 or 251 do 100% right.
Bigger problem is to find such mics in great condition, so in my humble opinion both Wagner and Tele USA did their homework and offered right products, that don't suffer of 'inferior sonic clonism' syndrome.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nash, first off, I'm not saying the the Wagner's aren't awesome. I have not made a qualitative statement about them, for the record.

That is absolutely clear to me. I have pointed out (mainly for others) that the Wagner is not a Neumann BUT it is a gorgeous boutique mic which is U47 sounding. IMO

Sure, we can nitpick because of the EF12 "but" the EF12(a) is the much better tube than the EF14. (Used in many replicas)

I did ask Andreas Grosser (I trust him 100%) when I heard the first time about the Wagner U47 because he maintained our M49... (btw. Andreas did an amazing job) It took us a long time to ask other owners and also a shoot out 'til we were convinced. We (the studio guys) contacted Grosser back then and he said:

Quote Andreas Grosser:

"The Wagner U47 got the best low end sometimes better than a original U47 with a VF14 tube. It's going down with -0,5dB to 20Hz some U47's have at 100Hz -1 to -2dB but the sound is the same as the original U47. The vintage housed PSU has a very modern electronic inside with no hum and a very low noise. There are a electronic voltage stabilization and filter inside."

To me the Wagner is like a new (modern PSU) U47 but without the need of TLC every 6 months.

As I already said most people that read "the Wagner is not a Neumann comment (which is true)" will think it's just a mediocre replica.

My intention was to make clear that it's not. It's the best possible new U47. IMO
We have also two other replicas and they were not up to snuff. Not by any means...

Quote:
However, the point about the tube burning equipment...

JJ that was just one minor point like the brass matter... It was not a decisive argument. I just mentioned the burn unit, in fact he has more vintage equipment and it looks like a old Neumann shop. May it be important or not... I was only mention this to emphasize how detailed he works. I didn't say that the burn unit is crucial.

Thx JJ I know you're a great guy and a dedicated U47 user.

Generally speaking:

Everyone who wants to buy such a U47w should do his homework as we did to gain trust. Finally e-mail Wagner or call him to get things straight.

He is a U47 nerd and a sincere person.
Things get very obvious if he starts to explain.

Don't listen to internet folklore and don't get insecure. It's the real deal.

Nash

PS: No, I'm not his brother-in-law! heh
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
Bigger problem is to find such mics in great condition, so in my humble opinion both Wagner and Tele USA did their homework and offered right products, that don't suffer of 'inferior sonic clonism' syndrome.

As already stated a few times. To me the Wagner is the best.
I can't say that both were at the same level at our shoot out.

I don't want to bash any company but that's what my ears told me.

Nash

🎧 15 years
This is a crazy thread, finding it hard to follow maybe just my OCD kickin' in.heh

We got the best vocal sound I've ever heard in my studio this past week:

U47w>1073>La3a

The chain really complimented the singer, he sang great and we pressed record. All was good.

Gunter Wagner for President!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➡️

I missed this, but think it needs responding to. First the "not really good advice" about buying a real U47, is the same advice Oliver would give you, and he stands to make money from most 47 type mics, because most use his parts.

M7s are not essential for a good U47. In fact, I prefer a K47 to any of the M7s that I've currently heard in production. When I was refurbing my M49s, I wound up choosing new K47s after listening to several options.

Many of the non Ms are perfectly fine. I just bought one, and it was quieter than the old M that was in my mic, which was perfectly acceptable. Ms don't sound any different. They just tested quieter, and not all VF14s were tested for M status.

I know people buying stock U47s for less than $8,000. Were are you getting this $15,000 figure from, and what idiot is paying that much? I have never seen a U47 go for that much money. Not even that new in the box one on Bay a couple years ago went for that much.

There are lots of great sounding U47s on the market, and the simplest act of maintenance can make one that doesn't sound optimal sound great again. It's rarely a complicated affair.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They also used a different brass alloy for the backplates which is not anymore available today.
Don't see how the exact brass material would have much of an effect on the sound, either it's good for precision machining or not.

But Gunter certainly knows what he's talking about and he's also a great guy, I had the pleasure of meeting up with him at his place in Australia some time ago. And his work is superb no doubt.

As for my own NU-series microphones, guess you can say that they are certainly inspired by the U47, but that's about it.

Martin
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Last week "Madooma Vintage Microphones" offered a Neumann badged U47 for $ 13.999,00 (Serial #2310) but they are known for a ridiculous price policy.
📝 Reply