Quantcast
probs with my gear - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
probs with my gear
Old 22nd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
probs with my gear

hey im will im new whats up. just have a question and i dont know wear else to ask anyone. way cool site anyways. heres my set up for recording a vocal track:

newman u47 --> 1084 --> great riv --> la2a --> big muff --> m92 (pair) --> la2a (2nd one) --> berringer eq --> pro tools

i no the setup is un-usual - lmfao - but thats how im doing it and its got an awsome vibe/warmth/creamyness to it. u should try it sometimes.dfegad anyway the problem is that i cant get a decent signal out of my first la2a and by the time i reach the berringer it doesnt sound right unbalanced bass treble too high and its driving me crazy i swear. please help thanks again
Old 22nd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i use it daily like this :

neumann u47 -> 1084 -> la2a -> lilabs redeye -> bigmuff -> lilabs redeye -> P.A -> m92 (pair) -> great river pre -> 2*la2a -> behringer eq -> pro tools

u need another la2a, thats the whole trick heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up ➑️
i use it daily like this :

neumann u47 -> 1084 -> la2a -> lilabs redeye -> bigmuff -> lilabs redeye -> P.A -> m92 (pair) -> great river pre -> 2*la2a -> behringer eq -> pro tools

u need another la2a, thats the whole trick heh
lol

i would go that way (very similar but with a twist at the end)

neumann u47 -> 1084 -> la2a -> lilabs redeye -> bigmuff -> lilabs redeye -> P.A -> m92 (pair) -> great river pre -> 2*la2a -> behringer eq -> pro tools -> out to fender twin reverb -> sm57 -> Sony G67F#HU7DDC51A duble cassette for recording at 3bit 287Khz.

heh

ps- OP, i dont think youre gear have a problem mate...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You didn't tell us what A/D convertor you are using. How can we help you if you aren't up front with us?

By the way, humor comes across better if it isn't thrown in our face like a blast from a shotgun. Try to be more subtle next time and you'll probably get more responses and then you'll be able to snicker the night away in your "studio" with one hand on your QWERTY and the other hand on your "joystick".....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Personnaly, I wouldn't take 12000$ of equipment and pass it through a behringer eq...lol
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Isn't an M92 a handgun? I wonder how the LA2As react to firearms.
Pat
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
berringer cool typing tutt
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Try a MXR Distortion+ before the big muff and a rat after the big muff.

Seriously, I think you need to change the impedance before the Muff.

TW
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I think your problem has to do with impedance matching. Going by your signal chain, and the rule that the unit that follows should be at least the same impedance, and ideally 10x more:

150R -> 1.2Kin | 600Rout -> 1.2Kin | 600Rout -> 600Rin | 600Rout -> 1Meg in | 250K out -> ? in | 150R out -> 600Rin | 600R out -> 600Rin | 600Rout -> 6Kin

As you can see, I've marked a possible problem area with a "question mark" (that's the "?" symbol) I've read the manual for the Gefell M92 microphone and don't see any "port" for a signal input. (As an aside, what kind of cable should I use? PCV pipe to Cat5 converter?) Has yours been modified in any way? Also, you mention a pair. How is this pair joined? Bondo? Double sided tape? Tinfoil?

I don't think I have enough information to troubleshoot your issue. What kind of music are you recording? If it's Chinese/Mideast Jazz Fusion/Straight Ahead/Electronic Harpsichord Chorales, then I can see why you're having a problem. That signal chain is way too transparent for that style of music. You need a Studer.

Quote:
then you'll be able to snicker the night away in your "studio" with one hand on your QWERTY and the other hand on your "joystick".....
My hand in usually on UIOP{}.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude ➑️
You didn't tell us what A/D convertor you are using. How can we help you if you aren't up front with us?

By the way, humor comes across better if it isn't thrown in our face like a blast from a shotgun. Try to be more subtle next time and you'll probably get more responses and then you'll be able to snicker the night away in your "studio" with one hand on your QWERTY and the other hand on your "joystick".....
well played sir.... I Hee Hawed!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Here's where you're going wrong: you've gotta send the Behringer EQ back into the 1176, but turn it OFF - that way you can attenuate the HF circuit in reverse, which you'll then re-route into the output of a Danelectro '67 Hornet (reissue, obviously). This should work - if not, contact Robert Neve and he'll totally walk you through it. dfegad GOOD LUCK, BARNUM!!!!!!! Seriously, let us know how it goes!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Robert Neve-the more famus brother to Rupert Neve

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacious ➑️
Here's where you're going wrong: you've gotta send the Behringer EQ back into the 1176, but turn it OFF - that way you can attenuate the HF circuit in reverse, which you'll then re-route into the output of a Danelectro '67 Hornet (reissue, obviously). This should work - if not, contact Robert Neve and he'll totally walk you through it. dfegad GOOD LUCK, BARNUM!!!!!!! Seriously, let us know how it goes!
Robert Neve-the more famus bigbrother to Rupert Neve
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this thread is Hilarious.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hope thats pretty obvious to everyone, that the man was kidding ... heh
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnumBalcodette ➑️

newman u47 --> 1084 --> great riv --> la2a --> big muff --> m92 (pair) --> la2a (2nd one) --> berringer eq --> pro tools
You got your setup wrong for recording vocals. It should be:
1084 --> great riv --> la2a --> big muff --> m92 (pair) --> la2a (2nd one) --> berringer eq --> newman u47 --> digidesign adat bridge -> pro tools

The U47 has a button on it, if you want it to be before the la2a or after the behringer eq.

Don't forget to clock the Adat bridge off the big muff, otherwise youll start getting clicks and pops in your recordings, unless your recording clicks and pops, then it will just null itself out.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
it is the original big muff , right?
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I would hope it's the original muff! Otherwise he's gonna be up all night resetting the transistor playback circuits on his M92s!! I'm assuming you have a Fairchild 670, correct? Well, there's a much easier way to do this - you just replace twelve of the tubes (doesn't matter which ones) with light bulbs and turn the unit onto its LEFT side - that way all the ball bearings will fall into the distortion chambers (assuming you got the mod). After that, you obviously just smash it to pieces.

I really wish Barnum would let us know how this is all working out. Are you out there B-man??
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnumBalcodette ➑️
hey im will im new whats up. just have a question and i dont know wear else to ask anyone. way cool site anyways. heres my set up for recording a vocal track:

i no the setup is un-usual - lmfao - but thats how im doing it and its got an awsome vibe/warmth/creamyness to it. u should try it sometimes.dfegad anyway the problem is that i cant get a decent signal out of my first la2a and by the time i reach the berringer it doesnt sound right unbalanced bass treble too high and its driving me crazy i swear. please help thanks again
I just tried to replicate your setup and I can see now where the problem lies. Its in your spelling and punctuation.

Try that setup again like this:
Neumann u47 --> 1084 --> great river --> la2a --> big muff --> m92 (pair) --> la2a (second one) --> behringer equaliser --> protools

You seriously can't expect to get a good signal to your first la2a when you've spelt neumann wrong and your missing a few letters on your great river.
πŸ“ Reply