Quantcast
A Berliner U77 "Shootout" or "Session Trial" is Published - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Berliner U77 "Shootout" or "Session Trial" is Published
Old 22nd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
A Berliner U77 "Shootout" or "Session Trial" is Published

Its great that they finally put the U77 up against some other great new mics to see how it would fair in a variety of situations and published the results.

Here's what Rob Tavaglione had to say about the Berliner U77 ($3,995 list) when compared with a Brauner VMA ($9,719 list), a Neumann TLM 67 ($3,858 list) a Violet Flamingo ME ($6,990 list) and the JZ Black Hole ($2,295 list)

From what I read in Pro Audio Review the U77 didnt make it into the drum and bass sessions in time, which is a shame, to quote Rob...

But here are some some of his conclusions:

"I must say, that the Berliner U77 would be my "best-all-around" choice if I could buy only one mic for all VO work"

"The Berliner U77 offered the most overall flexibility and was simply stellar on vocals and acoustic instruments."

"Personal testing of the U77 revealed an extremely musical mic that was simultaneously very flattering and yet very naturally accurate on most any source.

Although its classic "big 3" patterns make it versatile enough for many instrument apps, I'm in LOVE with this mic for vocals. Dan Wothke [PAR June 08] found the Berliner U77 very desirable for both men and women vocalists; that's a rare quality, and I strongly support Dan's findings. lead, BGV, or group, loud or tender: the U77 shines in most any vocal situation."

"The U77 is also a first pick for acoustic instruments. Its inherent balance, natural transients and ever-so-slight high-frequency emphasis worked nicely on acoustic guitar, piano or most any natural source where realism is your goal."

Amazing comments... you all know I love this mic more than anything. Just sold several of my prized mics to buy a couple more U77's.

I'm hoping to get some more from the Winter NAMM show... crossing fingers...

Anyone else tried the U77 on drums or bass? I have yet to do so myself.
📝 Reply