Otari MTR 90 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Otari MTR 90
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris11 ➡️
Definately a nice machine, I had a chance to buy one with SR at a rediculous price a few years ago although didn't pull the trigger on it as I thought my JH-16 would suffice. On the topic of CCIR, I just had my machine modified to use this curve, it may just be me although I think the highs are too bright and forward, is there a way to attenuate these while still remaining within the CCIR curve?
there are several ways.
1. if your record and repro EQ @ 10 KHz is set to flat, you can try overbiasing a bit more. that's really cool soundshaping. i do it to taste while i record music from a CD that i like, and only find out afterwards how much overbias i have dialed in. it's often 1/4-1/2 dB, sometimes even 1 dB more than what the tape manufacturer recommends.
you lose a little HF + you can drive the tape a little hotter.

2. if you're happy with the bias, you can easily lose a little HF on the repro EQ. a little goes a long way.

if i record @ 15 ips, i always boost HF a touch on the way in and lose it on the way out. very effective NR.

be sure to note that loss of HF on the repro head on the tape boxes in case the tapes are worked on in another studio.

best, tom

analoghaus :: studio label verlag - home
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
mtr90 mk 2 for sale: 1500.!!!

I have an mtr 90 mk 2, complete with remote AND locator...sold as is, I just bought it, and it is untested....first 1500 gets it...dan 510 224 7924
📝 Reply