Thermionic Culture Valves - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thermionic Culture Valves
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thermionic Culture Valves

Hi, does anyone know the normal lifespan for the tubes that thermionic culture units come with? I bought a Phoenix last year and everything is working just fine. I was just wondering recently (now thats its been almost a year) when and how I will notice that its time to get a new set of valves. Do I just email Thermionic Culture to ask for replacements when the time comes? Are they really expensive or difficult to find?
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➡️
Hi, does anyone know the normal lifespan for the tubes that thermionic culture units come with? I bought a Phoenix last year and everything is working just fine. I was just wondering recently (now thats its been almost a year) when and how I will notice that its time to get a new set of valves. Do I just email Thermionic Culture to ask for replacements when the time comes? Are they really expensive or difficult to find?
if you've only had it a year i wouldn't worry too much about replacing valves any time soon

they won't be expensive or hard to find either...its not a fairchild!
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If they're quality tubes, they should last you years. I wouldn't worry about it unless things start sounding weird.

I know it's a different piece of equipment all together, but I just got my Ampeg V4 serviced, and according to my tech, the original stock tubes are still fine. They're over 30 years old, if that tells you anything.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what do you think about your phoenix??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiogear ➡️
what do you think about your phoenix??
i think it's great
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info guys! Its nice to know that the valves will last me a while and that it shouldn't be difficult to find and replace them when the time comes. I just picked up an earlybird 2.2 & pullet along with the culture vulture mv (sitting at the airport nearby but arriving tomorrow, can't wait!) so will have a couple of more valve units to care for over the years

As for the Phoenix itself, I think this is a fantastic compressor and really makes things sound great. I usually just leave it on the 2 bus when mixing to compress a tiny bit
📝 Reply