Vintech.. shmintech? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintech.. shmintech?
Old 1st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
call me curious, but are they REALLY worth that much? i mean you could get a LOT of other colors that are great colors to use for the same price. hell, a spider gives you 8 channels+8tape+10ADC's for $2k less. or 2 channels of vipre for $3.5k less. or......

and why do you like AB for vox [just curious] opposed to a mice classA design?
Hey, Curious......
Having the great pleasure of having a pair of the 1081 classics along with several 1073s to compare them with I'd have to say they're worth every penny... Other colors are just that- other colors. You can get pretty close to 'burnt umber' by combining a bunch of other crayolas together, but I'd just rather reach for 'burnt umber'.
And the class AB 1081s work with certain mics better than the class A 1073s- just depends on the source and the sound your going for.
This summer you'll have to take a vacation up north and I'll give you a listen.....It only took me about 12 hours from Asheville.
Old 1st April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
well, i wasnt meaning a comparison against other older neve designs... but i guess a pre AND EQ makes the price more reasonable. $4k for a single channel just seems over the top [i guess when you dont want to drop that much for a single channel]

or you could just move your studio down here and we can build a big joint... im scouting for buildings now.
Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Search the Moderator archives for "Microphone preamp comparison testing" and you'll get Michael Wagener and my opinions comparing the 1073 to the X73 (and the Great River and the Sheps).

I haven't played with the X81, but the X73 has been my default vocal pre for quite a few months (even before we did the comparison).
I couldn't find the actual link to an actual seperate site (I thought you had one with pics Dave), and it wouldn't work with the internal Gearslutz link posted here for some reason, but I could find it by looking up "Microphone preamp comparison testing". Interesting reading.
Old 2nd April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
I couldn't find the actual link to an actual seperate site (I thought you had one with pics Dave), and it wouldn't work with the internal Gearslutz link posted here for some reason, but I could find it by looking up "Microphone preamp comparison testing". Interesting reading.
I thought Michael had put up some pictures - didn't he? But we did it for our own amusement and for readers of Gearslutz - not another site.
Old 2nd April 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I thought Michael had put up some pictures - didn't he? But we did it for our own amusement and for readers of Gearslutz - not another site.
Yes, I did put up a picture of the mic pre shootout, BUT I accidentally erased it from my webspace by placing a new picture with the same name on it, sorry. I'll try to find the original and post it here.

- - -

found it:

Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Michael,

Hows this for putting you on the spot.. how would you describe the diffrences between a 1073 and a ViPRE? I will hopefully be able to answer thsi myself in a few weeks time at my place, but I am allways wanting opinions, and I know we all have em! Anyone else chime in as well. All experiences welcome.

Alpha, what are you using the EMI on mostly? they look cool, I have yet to get my hands on one to hear.
Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Michael,

Hows this for putting you on the spot.. how would you describe the diffrences between a 1073 and a ViPRE? I will hopefully be able to answer thsi myself in a few weeks time at my place, but I am allways wanting opinions, and I know we all have em! Anyone else chime in as well. All experiences welcome.

Alpha, what are you using the EMI on mostly? they look cool, I have yet to get my hands on one to hear.

Steve,

Are you more interested in the pre/EQ side or just the pre?

This makes a big difference in what you are asking.

I've used the X73 extensively(i mix at a studio that has 4 of them).

I've gone on record as saying that to my ears they lacked the "magic" of the originals, but they can still be useful.

I've yet to find a vocal that I liked it on when tracking(but this is normally through a U47 and i've never liked the 1073 on U47 anyway).

I have liked them at times when mixing drums though. They are in some ways faster sounding than the originals(not as thick) but for drums this works better at times. I do hate the knobs though. And the 48v,phase,EQ in/out switch should have some kind of light to indicate what is what(this is one thing that drives me crazy on the Buzz Audio mic pre also).

Your M M V.
Old 2nd April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ive used them on vox, guitar, bass, overheads... set it up on my drums now for the kick and snare mics [R121 and Cm700 respectively] so i will let you know how that sounds... getting ready to track some stuff with this new drum setup ive been tinkering with. its a really cool contrast pre. if you want something to really stick out or grind heavy. real midrangy. i prefer it in the 300ohm impedance for most things. it really is similar to the "beatles"... i dont know if its exact or what but if you want that beatles drum sound or whatever, slap it on a mono overhead with a FOK mic and viola.
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thrill,

More of a Preamp hunt really... thanks for all the great info!

Alpha,

Sounds interesting, let us know how it goes with the kit.
Old 2nd April 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Michael,

Well, it's always hard to describe a sound difference with words, for me anyway. The one thing Dave, Bob and I found out during our little non-scientific test is, that each pre had it's uses on different instruments and microphones (doesn't help, does it?). Each one was better on something than another. The VIPRE was not really in that particular test, because we just wanted to compare the Neve "clones" that day and we never even made it to comparing the EQ sections. Time flies when you're having fun.

The VIPRE has a tendency to make everything "big", again, not easy to describe, but VIPRE tracks are predominant in the mix without taking up a lot of space. Obviously I'm fishing for words here. In any case, when you get it, make sure you listen to the VIPRE tracks in the mix. I am now setting the knobs on the VIPRE with everything on and not in solo. Also, with the Impedance and rise time functions on the VIPRE you have the ability to work with a lot of different mics,some of which you might not have thought that they work on that particular instrument. And finally, given the fact that all the old Neves sound somewhat different, you will find more consistency in the sound of the VIPREs. I am sure that VIPRE will not ever leave your studio once you have checked it out, you might as well write that check right now

The Chandler EMI mic pre is another great pre and I wouldn't want to miss it in my collection. It is definitely colored (in a good way) and has that "beatle-ish" kind of creamy midrange, even more so than my old APIs. Great for electric guitar (with the R-121s). I also use it on overheads, with the R-121s. It needs a little EQ, shelved above 4kHz, but it can take that very well without sounding harsh. Combine that with the EMI compressor and you're back in 1967 heh
Old 11th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Yes, I did put up a picture of the mic pre shootout, BUT I accidentally erased it from my webspace by placing a new picture with the same name on it, sorry. I'll try to find the original and post it here.

- - -

found it:

Thanks for finding that for me Mike and Dave...
Old 11th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Thanks for finding that for me Mike and Dave...
Hmm - for some reason, I though I'd brought the Great River, but since it's racked in an SKB case, I guess not...
Old 11th April 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hmm - for some reason, I though I'd brought the Great River, but since it's racked in an SKB case, I guess not...
Yes, you did, but it just came back from somebody borrowing it from you.

In true gearslutz fashion, since we did that test I went out and bought (in that order):
another VIPRE, which GT kindly matched to my existing one,
a Chandler EMI mic pre (one of three existing with the EMI logo, Alphajerk has the second one)
a Great River MP-2NV.

Each mic pre has its various uses and shines on different mics and sources and there a re many more on my wish list. (uhm, about that vacation honey...)
πŸ“ Reply