Are Neve pres high end? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are Neve pres high end?
Old 27th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Are Neve pres high end?

Hi,

Any comments on either the AMEK/Neve 9098 DMA or their DMCL (Pure Paths) ?

If I only have the resources to buy one thing to improve my studio's "sound", would it be one of these or an A/D convertor ? (The lower priced ones, like the Rosetta or Lucids' AD)

Thanks and Regards,
[Charles]
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The answer to that would depend on what you already have in both preamps and converters. What are you using now?
Old 27th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What are you using now?
all my present "pres & converters" gear are not really "high-end". I have:

1. Digidesign 001 on G4 1Ghz
2. Soundtracs TOPAZ 32 Analogue mixer
3. dbx 386 tube pre
4. M-Audio DMP3
5. Alesis AI-3
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Others here are far more qualified than myself to comment, but in your current set-up I suspect you would see a more noticeable leap in quality with a truely good quality preamp.

I'm not a big fan of the dbx 386, so if you like the idea of having tube pre you might want to look into something from Tube Tech, Summit, Pendulum, or even the Vipre. Some of these are pricier than others.

A fine and reasonably priced upgrade for the DMP3 you might want to consider would be the John Hardy. Alternately, for a Nevish sound, the Great River or Vintech 1272 might be worthwhile for not a ton of money.

Any of the above should add an improved dimension to your recorded sound.
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are so many things that could qualify as 'High End'. Genreally 'high end' gear has:

Its own specific tone which is why people graviate towards them in the first instance.

An expensive price tag

Made pretty well to endure 'studio combat' conditions and being carted around in roadcases to different gigs etc.

.... and sounds good.!!heh heh heh

I think of High end gear as stuff that sounds so good and u use so often, that u dont want to sell it .

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Nah, Wiggy. You wanna sell 'em. PM me...
Oh, I've got a high-end Shure SM-58 that is not up to my expectations. How about USD 99,999.99 ?? If you can hand me the dough within a week, I'll waive off the 0.99 cents.

Old 28th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Anyways, jokes aside..

I've read some "reviews" that the PurePath DMCLs are not exactly warm and the dynamics are not exactly up to expectations.

That is why I would like opinions on them. Whether should I get the 9098 DMA instead of the DMCL with the added bells and all.. But I do like the fact that an option Digital boards can be added to the DMCL .. thus make it a Neve A/D or something.

Any more opinions?

Hey littledog and Wiggy, thanks for your inputs. And Kent, I do hope you know that I was joking about the USD 99,999.99 price tag for my Shure SM58. heh

Thanks and Regards,
[Charles]
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Charles..

If is you are after the 'Neve' sound i really dont think that you wil find it with the the current crop of Rupert designed AMEK products. They are totally different to the traditional Neve things that gets us 'slutz' all hard and woozy. Whilst they are very good and are a different flavour all together, and one which i might add does not suck at all and definately qualifies as a 'high end' product, they may not give you what you are afer if you are after the 'Fatness and Iron' of a traditional Neve sound. But **** it...if it works for you thats great and be sure to let us know hwo it goes!..

Kent... i am constantly in a state of flux as i keep selling my gear to get me one step higher to gear slutdom in the sky?... i wonder if Fletcher has a store for us once we get past the pearly gates?
LOLheh heh heh

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 9098 DMA is ok.. I had one.. I do not anymore..
It is not a really colored pre.. It falls in the in-between range more on the clean side..
The API 3124 quad I replaced it with I like much better. For the Clean stuff I liked the Buzz..
I would try these pre amps before Vintech 1272, Cranesong, Great River NV, Phoinex, Averil Neve's and the Buzz if you want plain clean..Although something colored would be nice.
Old 29th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Are Neve pres high end?
Are you kidding me ?

malice heh

Old 30th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by charleslee
Oh, I've got a high-end Shure SM-58 that is not up to my expectations.
Dude, rather than a new mic pre, maybe try a new mic?
I guess it depends what you are recording but you can get alot of mic for under $500 these days, and if you've got more to spend, well its all goodheh
daniel
πŸ“ Reply