Attached Thumbnails
Avalon VT-737SP-avalon.jpg  
Old 7th June 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes

it's not bad on kik drum
Old 7th June 2005
I suggest reading the reviews of it at Mix and EQ magazine. Then try it out yourself. There is a reason why most studios have one sitting in their rack. However everyone has their own personal favorites. Once you get to this quality it's more on what flavor do you want your pre and eq to give you, not if it is good or not.
Old 7th June 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
trying

hi, i am new here, trying to post a new post but i dont know how, can you tell me how i can do it!!!
thnaks, vital
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vital
hi, i am new here, trying to post a new post but i dont know how, can you tell me how i can do it!!!
thnaks, vital
I keep on reading this over and over,

like I'm in another timeframe.

somehow fascinating to be honnest.

can't wait for the next post.

Didn't you just post a new post vital ? Or is it that as soon as you posted your new post, it suddenly became old ? So indeed, posting a new post is therefore impossible as if present being the only time we can have a grip on, past is the only way to evaluate present actions ...

future being highly hypothetic, distorted by present time as soon as we try to formulate it.

Sorry for the off topic
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk
I keep on reading this over and over,

like I'm in another timeframe.

somehow fascinating to be honnest.

can't wait for the next post.

Didn't you just post a new post vital ? Or is it that as soon as you posted your new post, it suddenly became old ? So indeed, posting a new post is therefore impossible as if present being the only time we can have a grip on, past is the only way to evaluate present actions ...

future being highly hypothetic, distorted by present time as soon as we try to formulate it.

Sorry for the off topic
Did he mean he can't post a new TOPIC? Either way, wrong forum.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
You can make it works on almost everything...it's a matter of taste...I have two sitting in my rack...
Old 8th June 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks Leblon! Do you also use them on Vocals?

Thanks!
MarOeN
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Does anyone have any expierence with the Avalon VT-737SP
i used one extensively. while it does a good job the compressor is unfortunately a tad slow.it's only worth the price if you locate one heavily discounted.
Old 8th June 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It has a sound. The comp is so bad, someone should go to jail for the crimes against audio that it commits. The EQ is actually better than I expected. The thing with the 737 and other Avalon tube products, is that the solid state counterparts are really really good and tend to leave the non discrete products sort of pailing in comparison.That being said, the 737 is still the most successfull outboard product of all time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
HipHoppers love the thing. I say it sucks, but that just me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Works a charm for hiphop vocals... I leave the EQ on and the compressor off... definitely seems to have "that" sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've paired mine up with a Distressor... I like it.
The compressor is optic so it won't be brick wall. You will need a VCA compressor for anything that you need to grab quick transiants on. However for vocals, and acoustic guitar it works very well.

I found it very similar to the 2022 but it has a touch of smoothness to it while the 2022 has a clearer sound, and a little more sparkle in the high end. So it all depends on what your looking for. The Manley pre is even more softer sounding than the 737. I would say the 737 is a clean sounding tube pre. Being more in the middle makes it useful in many applications. I would get the Mercenary Audio edition though. It looks a lot better!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
I would get the Mercenary Audio edition though. It looks a lot better!
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
C800G and VT-737 is da winnin combo for Hip-Hop vocals...we all kno you can do better...but that never stopped this stuff from sellin (either the HipHop or 737)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think it's great, i've got one about a year ... it's also great in the mix ... for EQ on bass ... or anything you like ...yust wire up the line in ... and the output to a nice converter and back into your DAW or to TAPE ..

Not only fun on tracking ...

Grtz. Inline
Holland
Gotta Brauner Vm1 that sounds good through the 737. I mainly use it for vocals, and the artists seem to be well pleased.
DO NOT USE the comp....

Old 9th June 2005 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS
C800G and VT-737 is da winnin combo for Hip-Hop vocals...we all kno you can do better...but that never stopped this stuff from sellin (either the HipHop or 737)
Someone started this rumor here on GS but it's false... The best hip hop combo is a C800g into a 1073! That's what Dr Dre uses for all the artists he works with... I've never heard of any major label work where the 737 and C800g were used together... The major rappers don't care what you run their vocals through as long as it sounds good... It's the general "nobodys" who like the 737 because they saw it at Guitar Center and they said that was the hot shit to have!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
It's the general "nobodys" who like the 737 because they saw it at Guitar Center and they said that was the hot shit to have!
Count me as a "nobody" then!

I first saw & used Avalon gear at Soundcastle. Then I saw Jon Gass using it at the Enterprise, then saw and used two 737's (originals with the purple knobs) at a studio that has recorded all of the biggest names in east coast hip-hop.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
if you have only had shit preamps, then it will sound very good. it has a nice sheeniness to it, but there is some artifact stuff in there that you wont get with a true audiophile pre like the great river. also, the GR is less money, but its only a pre. the other stuff is better left to specific models anyway, if you are going for a first class sound. I mean, eq and compression, if you wondered.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
Count me as a "nobody" then!

I first saw & used Avalon gear at Soundcastle. Then I saw Jon Gass using it at the Enterprise, then saw and used two 737's (originals with the purple knobs) at a studio that has recorded all of the biggest names in east coast hip-hop.
OK.... I love all of the older Avalon stuff.... The E55's and M22's... I even owned an M5 which was great and I used in conjunction with the C800G, which I also owned at the time. But I wouldn't put the 737 in the same category as those pieces... I can't believe I'm even talking about the 737 today... It has a good EQ, the pre is junk and the compressor is usable at best..

Regardless, the people who are requesting a 737 today are the same people who I referred to in my post! It is not the standard setup for recording major label hip hop!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would not put the 737 against those sonically either.
My point was that I saw and used the 737 somewhere other than GC, and I know from personal experience as well as the experience of many other engineers that the 737 is commonly used.

You said it yourself... the artists don't care as long as it sounds good.
I have never had anyone complain about the 737SP... not one artist, producer, label exec or music consumer... except in this forum.

Do you record a lot of major-label stuff Tony?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
I would not put the 737 against those sonically either.
My point was that I saw and used the 737 somewhere other than GC, and I know from personal experience as well as the experience of many other engineers that the 737 is commonly used.

You said it yourself... the artists don't care as long as it sounds good.
I have never had anyone complain about the 737SP... not one artist, producer, label exec or music consumer... except in this forum.

Do you record a lot of major-label stuff Tony?
Do you like rap music? This is who I am.....

www.tonybelmont.com

Although, I'm only producing now... How about yourself???
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Tony,

I see you there with Face. Do you know Mike Dean?
I used to see him frequently over at the Enterprise.

Yes, I like Rap music. I think I first recorded a rap around 1982. We're taliking about the era when hot lyrics involved food menus and Christ
mas holiday, LOL.

Did you put together the Neptunes studio here in VA?

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I know Mike Dean... I think he's out in California right now....

I helped put together the studio on Pharell's tour bus, but I had nothing to do with Mastersound (I was there in November, and it's still the same if you remember it from the old days)... Speaking of VA, I also put together Timbaland's studio, which is the most amazing place out there..

I've lost a lot of the love for engineering and mixing... But, I still track all my own beats and make them sound well mixed before they reach the artist.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I am sure we know a lot of the same people!

I've only seen pictures of Tim's place. It looks beautiful! I didn't think he'd actually finish it since he was spending so much time in Miami.

I can understand the burn-out factor in engineering. Were you primarily an engineer or a salesperson? How did you make the move over to production?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Dr. Dre is on the list......> http://www.avalondesign.com/users.html

Here is the man......> http://www.avalondesign.com/snoop-news.html

I see rappers buy 737's like hot cakes, but I don't know why.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Rob Chiarelli is there too!

Quote:

Next for me is the VT-737SP mic preamp, line level, compressor and EQ. It’s also the best all in one box on the market. The EQ in the VT-737SP has similar qualities to the AD2055."*

"The compression in the VT-737SP is smooth and musical, particularly good when using low ratios like 2:1 and 3:1. I always use this in combination with a Sony c800g microphone when cutting vocals and I have had numerous compliments. When mixing I also use the VT-737SP on lead and/or background vocals. I am often asked by producers about gear. The one box I tell them to get above all the rest (and first) is the VT-737SP because of its flexibility and great sound. The AD2044 compressor is one of my favorites for acoustic piano, stereo background vocals and also the mix buss. Once again, this is one of the most transparent compressors ever."

Rob Chiarelli has engineered and mixed for Will Smith, Madonna, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, Coolio, Ray Charles and Christina Aguilera to name a few.

end Quote

Certainly not hard-core hip-hop, but I know Rob and he has done his share.

Rappers buy them cause they are capable all-in-one boxes that sound good on lots of sources, and chances areyou will find one in numerous studios around the country.
πŸ“ Reply