The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U 87 Ai vs ???
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus ➡️
As I have posted many times in the past: Neumann does not cross-reference serial numbers and manufacturing dates, but serial numbers and delivery dates (to the respective distributor). Even in-house, that fact is no longer made clear by the personell that answers inquiries.

If you want to zoom in on the manufacturing date of any U87/A, you need to find the date codes of components, like capsule, electrolytic capacitors, etc. Or study circuit revisions, plastic color/materials used, layout of components, printing styles, etc. etc.

Without that information, my estimate: your mic was built in the late 1990s.
Thank you Mr. Klaus. Your information is enough for me at the moment. I really like how this mic sounds(big, lush, meaty..). I don't want to remove grill and look at the capsule, because there is still original Neumann stamp over one of the screws. It seems it was never opened and looks it is in all original, factory condition. So, again, thank you for your answer.
Old 29th December 2021
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I sold my U87ai after direct comparisons to the Miktek C7. It killed it over all. We had a 74 model U87i there as well and it hung with the vintage one no problem. I sold the U87ai i had and never looked back. IMHO the new(er) U87ai mics sre not that impressive for there cost. My .002 cents
Old 28th February 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinor ➡️
What mic do you think could contend a U 87 AI for vocals?

Yiannis
Depends how well it is sung and all that. Even an sm57 can have a vocal sounding outstanding. I say that like it's incredible, but I suppose it's not. Point being, a lot of mics will sound good when good things are sung into them. The old story. Never changes...I'd rather be recording Frank Sinatra singing into a $100 mic than some nut who murders a vocal into a million dollar 47 thing. etc etc

To answer your question...an sm57 or a Sterling st170 or a CADm177
Old 1st March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AT 4050 works great for me instead of the U87. I have both and usually prefer the 4050. Both are good general purpose Mics.
Old 1st March 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, this is an old thread but seems to have some recent activity. I have a U87ai and a Sanken CU-44X MK II and almost every time I do a shootout the clients prefer the Sanken. It's an incredible mic. It's definitely not as versatile as the U87ai as it doesn't have any switches to change the pickup pattern, or reduce the input, but for vocals, I don't think it's needed. As with any great microphone, you better put a good singer in front of it, or it will expose their flaws, but the off-axis pickup is incredible. This allows less experience singers who don't know how to work a mic to still sound great.
I'd say it's a little fuller than the 87ai and because of the dual capsule design the highs are just smooth and not shrill. Just my opinion though. (and that of most artist that have done the shootout with it)
Old 4th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Come on. There has to be a limit here. Many of you are suggesting that after paying $3600 for a Neumann U87 microphone, that it should be sent off for a $2000 mod?
Waste your money on whatever you want, I suppose. If you don’t like the sound of a U87ai choose a different microphone. The Neumann U87 is the flagship mic from the world’s premiere microphone manufacturer. Every condenser or capacitor microphone made today is based on their designs. It has been used on more stellar recordings than any other mic except for maybe an SM57. And I dare say, the vast majority of these U87s have not been modified.
Old 4th March 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by htieksppircs ➡️
Come on. There has to be a limit here. Many of you are suggesting that after paying $3600 for a Neumann U87 microphone, that it should be sent off for a $2000 mod?
Waste your money on whatever you want, I suppose. If you don’t like the sound of a U87ai choose a different microphone. The Neumann U87 is the flagship mic from the world’s premiere microphone manufacturer. Every condenser or capacitor microphone made today is based on their designs. It has been used on more stellar recordings than any other mic except for maybe an SM57. And I dare say, the vast majority of these U87s have not been modified.
Everybody wants to mod. Most of the gear I have, when you look into it, especially around here, is garbage and needs modding. I can't take a trick with the stuff I buy. Oh you bought the Shure sm81...wait...you got the new version??? Bad move chump...they SUCK.

Having said that, there is one mod I'd go for...the mod that makes the attack on the LA 610mkii compressor faster.
📝 Reply