The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Helios Type 69 pre/eq coming in API 500 format!
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Helios Type 69 pre/eq coming in API 500 format!

I thought this deserved it's own thread in High End...I - for one - am pretty jazzed about this. Since I don't have $5K for a vintage one and then another grand for a rack, this could be an answer to my acoustic guitar prayers...

From Tony Arnold:
"We will have another version of our re-issue, complete with the classic Helios EQ, ready to fit into the API 500 series Racks and Consuls during January."

I hope January means January...or at least March...
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
That is great news!!!! You have got me excited. Thanks for the insight!
Old 11th November 2008 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Let's not get too excited until we see how much it costs...

Anyway.... Isn't there already a Helios style 500 series preamp? I remember seeing something called the Realios at AES.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
Let's not get too excited until we see how much it costs....

Good Call!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
they've already had this one out for awhile

sounds lovely i might add. one of the most musical EQs i think i've ever used.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anyway.... Isn't there already a Helios style 500 series preamp? I remember seeing something called the Realios at AES.
Yes, from the Anamod/Pendulum/Dave Amels guys> realios - the real Dick Swettenham audio designs

But this one is not a modeling thingy, it's got a lot of iron...supposedly vintage iron too (not reproduction), hence the name heh

No EQ though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 ➑️
they've already had this one out for awhile

sounds lovely i might add. one of the most musical EQs i think i've ever used.
Unfortunately only works in the Helios lunchbox.

Looking forward to the 500 series module for sure!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
ahhh, i see. so is it different pre or just re-tooling for 500 series?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
realios - the real Dick Swettenham audio designs
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Same pre, just fits in a 500 series lunchbox...I would assume it's going to be around the same price as the modules - $1550...just a guess though. I hope they're cheaper...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I think it is going to be a repackaging of these into the 500 format. I could be wrong.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
they're not too much bigger than a 500 series module now.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

ehhh, no EQ=no thanks. the EQ is more than half the magic of the Helios to me!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A few new products from Helios this January

I recently spoke with Tony Arnold of Helios.
And he is in fact releasing a new version of his reissue Type 69 module.
It will be a 500 series module, with Mic pre & Eq.

He is also releasing a new Comp / Limiter like the original Audio & Design 760.
This too will be in two versions, one 500 size, and one in the original size as a retro fit for a Helios console.

Very exciting stuff.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Ahh - this thread brings back memories - almost my first job out of school in a camera / hi-fi shop in Teddington and Dick Swettenham used to be a regular customer with his large-format camera.

Very nice man and sorely missed.
Old 12th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pre amp out, into comp ALWAYS!

There is an optional card that can be installed in the Type 69 modules that will bring the output up to +4.
As for me, I usually run my Helios pre's straight into a comp / limiter, with make up gain.
Which gives me the option of bringing up the gain if needed.
Old 16th November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dear RickRock,
It will be identical in every way, just reduced in size.

Many Thanks for your interest

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett ➑️
Ahh - this thread brings back memories - almost my first job out of school in a camera / hi-fi shop in Teddington and Dick Swettenham used to be a regular customer with his large-format camera.

Very nice man and sorely missed.

Dear John
What a nice man, looked more like a Rock & Roller, than the great engineer he was, as he was quite fashionable, but as soon as you spoke with him you knew you were in the presance of an engineer with that little bit extra, he did play Guitar and he knew exactly what the musician required from a consul.

I for one wish he was still around.

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny ➑️
Dear RickRock,
It will be identical in every way, just reduced in size.

Many Thanks for your interest

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
This is very exciting!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hey Tony - What's the price going to be?
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this is great news.....i find it so strange how some great companies shrink their pre/eq designs but ignore the 500 format - which you would think would be a gold-mine??!
- focusrite
- UA
- SSL
- Daking..........strange. props to helios!!! they will reap the rewards and we can enjoy an even tastier lunch.
Old 17th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought it had to do with the 500 format running on 15v rails...

Most of the "fancy" preamps run on hotter rails.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➑️
I thought it had to do with the 500 format running on 15v rails...

Most of the "fancy" preamps run on hotter rails.
Dear Kats,
The API 500 Series Duel Rail PSU does create a problem, which we have got round, and you are right, most Vintage Gear runs on a single Linear Rail, usually 24V upwards.
In actual fact the 500 Series runs at +16V, 0, -16V, (Pardon me for being a bore), and the first 500 series racks had a serious problem regarding the PSU, we have now been assured all problems have been solved, which is the reason we have gone ahead to interface our products into this popular Rack.

We will continue to manufacture our products in the original Helios Size, for any existing Helios Product Owners.

Our Helios/ADR will be identical to the original in every way, both in 500 format & Original, therefore giving us the opportunity to supply spare assemblies and parts for existing Helios/ADR F760 owners.

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home

🎧 15 years
Quote:
... and the first 500 series racks had a serious problem regarding the PSU, we have now been assured all problems have been solved, which is the reason we have gone ahead to interface our products into this popular Rack.
I'm not sure which racks you are referring to.... There have never been any "serious problems" with any API racks, or Brent Averill racks, etc....
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm not sure which racks you are referring to.... There have never been any "serious problems" with any API racks, or Brent Averill racks, etc....
Dear Tony,
I was told by a UK Distributor of API gear, that the first API racks had PSU problems, it was also confirmed by a very well know USA Distributor, both have since assured me that these problems were ironed out some time ago.

I don't remember mentioning Brent Averil Racks.

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
.... these problems were ironed out some time ago.
...Yes they were - around 1979! There have NEVER been PSU problems with either the Lunchbox or 500V. Every API 500 module made has performed to spec in a 500 rack - it was only when we attempted to open up the format to other designers that we experienced problems, not with the PSU, but with the excessive current draws that other, non VPR approved devices were causing.

Stay within the specifications, get your product VPR approved and everyone remains happy.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... ➑️
...Yes they were - around 1979! There have NEVER been PSU problems with either the Lunchbox or 500V. Every API 500 module made has performed to spec in a 500 rack - it was only when we attempted to open up the format to other designers that we experienced problems, not with the PSU, but with the excessive current draws that other, non VPR approved devices were causing.

Stay within the specifications, get your product VPR approved and everyone remains happy.
Dear Sez,
In other words the problems that both distributors informed me about, were brought on by poor interface by other products.
I did find the reports I was given rather strange, as I am a huge fan of API, as well as Helios of course, I still own a 24 Channel Miniature Consul built in the very early API days as well as the two 550A's that I purchased around the same time, (Late 70's).

We have already contacted Gordon and have all of the info required to make sure our new Helios Products Interface perfectly and have had no problems to date.

Many thanks for your input Sez

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom ➑️

I think it is going to be a repackaging of these into the 500 format. I could be wrong.
thats looks sweet.....
Old 13th December 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
thats looks sweet.....
Dear AllAboutTone,
Who took that picture, its great, I wish I could get that sort of picture, I'd love to know how.
Here is one I took of a rack belonging to Paul-EQ.

I had asked Paul permission to post a picture of his rack that we custom built for him, which we included two of our Re-issues, and four original ADR-F760N Limiter/Compressor modules, that Paul supplied for us to service and fit, the type of which we will soon be introducing the Helios Version of.

Here is Pauls Views after receiving his Rack.
The compressors are amazing and i'm using the preamps to record many instruments with better results than my neve's & api's especially on drums, piano, guitar.
The eq's are also really great, the bottom end really sticks out on a mix and the mids are really amazing, totally different from the others mentioned.

What is very interesting, Paul has now managed to obtain an original Helios Type-69, from the updated Clapton Series, as approved by Richard Swettenham.

This great news fortunately will allow Paul the opportunity to compare our re-issues against the Clapton 4 Transistor Series. and apart from George Shilling's review;

Reviews 1 & 2

Which George compared our Lunchbox of Two Clapton Modules to the second Lunchbox housing two Re-Issues this has not been the case in with comparisons in the past.

Being the original Helios Electronics Ltd, places us in the fortunate position of being (Most likely) the only company that can supply the correct interface loom, which will include supplying the 15way female mating socket for the old Type-69 series.

Thus enabling Paul to fit his Original Lustraphone Type-69 into his Classic Module interface Rack without having to use a soldering iron, or experiencing any problems.

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home

Old 16th December 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I cant wait for the compressor Tony. I talked to Darrin at VK and im in for the first batch.
πŸ“ Reply