Quantcast
Benchmark DAC-1 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Benchmark DAC-1
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Benchmark DAC-1

Is anyone using the DAC1 to send the Mix buss to a compressor? Or, are people just using it to monitor with?
Thanks -
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most of the DAC1 users I have talked to are using it as the back end for a DAW and simply using it for monitoring. That said, almost all of the mastering engineers that are using the DAC1 are running it into a compressor or e/q and then redigitizing. Several mastering engineers have two DAC1's for both feeding the analog gear and listening to the final mix. One very well known engineer has eight DAC1's for monitoring both stereo and 7.1 surround mixes over several different rooms. There are several users here on the forum that could probably give you more specifics.
Old 19th March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
the ONE main thing keeping me from plopping down my credit card right this second is this thing only being two channels. it would be really sweet if you made a DAC-5.1... then id be ordering today. as it is, im probably going to order next week.
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The cool think about the DAC1 is that multiple units are perfectly phase coherent when being fed from the same source. So the people that are using DAC1's in a 5.1 setup simply set a reference level on the calibrated output selection and hook three of them up. I understand that it isn't ideal since you don't have variable control over the monitor level as a whole but we're doing the best we can for $795
Old 19th March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
well i would guess a DAC-5.1 would be a tad more than $795... but @ $2k-$3k somewhere wouldnt bee too much. its the variable output control that is the PITA. the whole reason i am getting the DAC1 is for the variable output knob... that and the better DAC's but you know what i mean...

now i need to make a talkback setup... any ideas? i was thinking of those gooseneck mics with some REALLY simple preamp circut and momentary switch running into an ADC. then i could route the output of an aux within the DAW to anywhere on the monitoring system i want.
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have no clue about a talkback setup. You might want to e-mail my boss Allen at [email protected] . He is chock full of great audio ideas and I'm sure he'd have a great answer for you. I'm looking into a way to build a passive level control for running up to eight channels of the DAC1 into so that you can calibrate it then and then use an external box for level control over several channels at once. Ideas?
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
David,

I just wanted to say that I am very happy with DAC1. Sounds real nice, not to mention the cool bright blue led!
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool, Glad you like it!
Old 21st March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've had my DAC-1 since Monday and it's made me pull out my whole CD collection and give everything a listen. I'm hearing all that old stuff in a whole new way.

....I guess one of these days it'll wind up in my studio, but for now I'm just diggin' it in my living room!
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
now i need to make a talkback setup... any ideas? i was thinking of those gooseneck mics with some REALLY simple preamp circut and momentary switch running into an ADC. then i could route the output of an aux within the DAW to anywhere on the monitoring system i want.
I had been thinking about the same thing, but I've been approaching it looking for a solution in the analog domain. I've been meaning to look further into this box: http://www.heartechnologies.com/tb/talkback.htm

Obviously, it would be best not to insert something else in-line with the pure DAC-1-to-monitor path, but I haven't yet come up with a good alternative way to have the CR monitors dim when the TB button is pressed.

-dg
Old 21st March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
Obviously, it would be best not to insert something else in-line with the pure DAC-1-to-monitor path, but I haven't yet come up with a good alternative way to have the CR monitors dim when the TB button is pressed.

-dg
this is seemily a BIG issue. its like they made a killer DAC and a half assed CR box.
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think i3 audio makes something called Mission Control with TB. You can use DAC1 as D/A only and insert Mission Control between DAC1 and your monitors to do the volume and TB duty? Just a thought....
Old 21st March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
I had been thinking about the same thing, but I've been approaching it looking for a solution in the analog domain. I've been meaning to look further into this box: http://www.heartechnologies.com/tb/talkback.htm

-dg

Check this out:

DMS-3 DISCRETE MONITOR SYSTEM by Inward Connections

www.boutiqueaudio.com

I can't sing enough the praises for the SBM-2 summing buss mixer.
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Check this out:

DMS-3 DISCRETE MONITOR SYSTEM by Inward Connections

www.boutiqueaudio.com
Now that looks very promising .. Thanks for the link.
-dave
Old 23rd March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
that runs a couple grand.
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is anyone using the DAC1 to send the Mix buss to a compressor? Or, are people just using it to monitor with?
Thanks -
We just did this yesterday, and it worked great. I would have preferred two at that point though: one to send the mix to the compressor and another to monitor with.
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
I can't sing enough the praises for the SBM-2 summing buss mixer.
Hmmm... that SBM-2 is getting mighty tempting.

TF, can you write a bit about how you use it when mixing?

I assume you're dealing with way more than 16 tracks a lot of the time, so do you bring most things out as subgroups? Do you do all your fader automation still in PT?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Hmmm... that SBM-2 is getting mighty tempting.

TF, can you write a bit about how you use it when mixing?

I assume you're dealing with way more than 16 tracks a lot of the time, so do you bring most things out as subgroups? Do you do all your fader automation still in PT?

Thanks,
Brian

When mixing in PT lately I've been summing 16 outs in the SBM-2. I have my kick,snare,bass,lead vocal,bckgrounds,drum mix sub,stereo guitar,synths, and effects on their own outputs to the SBM-2. I do some panning on the SBM-2 and all of the automation in PT.
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
that runs a couple grand.
And it sounds like it.
Old 24th March 2003
box
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
DAC1 metering

those who are using the DAC1..

are you using anything at all for metering?
& if so what?
Old 25th March 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I use a Sony PCM-7030 DAT machine set to input for digital metering and feed its output to a Dorrough loudness monitor and a phase meter. I also monitor all of the bits for activity using an oscilloscope so I can make sure any bit reductions get dithered.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…